Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Iphone 4
Nexus Forums > Non-Nexus Forums > Non-Nexus Discussion
Corath
Saw the brief specs of it, it looks quite nice. Fortunately by the time I can get an upgrade, the price should be lower. smile.gif
Falaris
Specs are what I expected. Haven't seen anything inventive in 2 years now though since the app store. All the new features are ones people wanted 2 years ago too and should have been on the 3GS, and the important ones all have something wrong. Video chat is wifi-only for at least a year, multitasking has serious limitations that will require me to still jailbreak, folders have been around for years and should have been built into the OS a long time ago as soon as it was apparent the app store was going to be huge (which would be from the first second they thought it up).

Nonetheless it is still nice and I'll still get one for all the upgrades. HD video, the form factor, and other little touches like noise cancelling mic and such are going to be really nice. The new retina display is incredible looking. The new camera will hopefully be good enough to truly not need a point and shoot camera for almost everything. 40 hours of music and 10 hours of wifi internet battery life is pretty impressive. Gyroscope will be very helpful when laying down and using it (though they kind of solved that by finally putting in a screen-rotation lock anyway). I actually kind of like the white model too this time around. Having a black front and white back on the old one looked stupid so I have a black 3GS, but I might switch now.
stabme
[Content removed] you

* paid for by Microsoft Corp.
Blackh
Going to get the Sprint Evo 4G biggrin.gif
HyuKo
Only thing I dislike is that Apple or AT&T won't be giving reduced prices for those having the Iphone 3GS already, I mean, I spent 300$ on this phone and a new one comes out the next summer? Disappointing.
Blackh
They only come out once a year, I dont think $200/300 is that bad laugh.gif
HyuKo
ihu.
for a broke college student it is.

=D
Blackh
Well sell your body or sell drugs

Poor people are the devils work.
Winder
QUOTE (Falaris @ Jun 7 2010, 07:34 PM) *
Specs are what I expected. Haven't seen anything inventive in 2 years now though since the app store. All the new features are ones people wanted 2 years ago too and should have been on the 3GS, and the important ones all have something wrong. Video chat is wifi-only for at least a year, multitasking has serious limitations that will require me to still jailbreak, folders have been around for years and should have been built into the OS a long time ago as soon as it was apparent the app store was going to be huge (which would be from the first second they thought it up).

Nonetheless it is still nice and I'll still get one for all the upgrades. HD video, the form factor, and other little touches like noise cancelling mic and such are going to be really nice. The new retina display is incredible looking. The new camera will hopefully be good enough to truly not need a point and shoot camera for almost everything. 40 hours of music and 10 hours of wifi internet battery life is pretty impressive. Gyroscope will be very helpful when laying down and using it (though they kind of solved that by finally putting in a screen-rotation lock anyway). I actually kind of like the white model too this time around. Having a black front and white back on the old one looked stupid so I have a black 3GS, but I might switch now.

I actually consider any jail broken features as part of the phone. It's a lot easier that way. If the iPhone included a wifi hot spot feature, you'd be forced to pay AT&T extra to use it (which we obviously don't want to do) and would Jailbreak anyway to get around that. That's just one example, we could obviously go on and on.
Falaris
I guess right off the bat by jailbreaking alone, Facetime will be made to work over 3G with Unrestrictor, and wifi hotspot apps already can be found. So those features can be taken into account like you said. However, I guess the big concern now too will be how much data it eats up with AT&T making you go to new non-unlimited plans. That is a pretty big drawback.

Luckily I'm on wifi everywhere I go besides shopping in a store or driving in the car anyway.
Winder
QUOTE (Falaris @ Jun 17 2010, 10:00 PM) *
I guess right off the bat by jailbreaking alone, Facetime will be made to work over 3G with Unrestrictor, and wifi hotspot apps already can be found. So those features can be taken into account like you said. However, I guess the big concern now too will be how much data it eats up with AT&T making you go to new non-unlimited plans. That is a pretty big drawback.

Luckily I'm on wifi everywhere I go besides shopping in a store or driving in the car anyway.

I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan and will never let it go =P
Sarphendon
QUOTE (Blackh @ Jun 8 2010, 01:31 PM) *
Going to get the Sprint Evo 4G biggrin.gif

ehehehe GL with that over 70k sold since it was released and they still cant keep them in stock..but yea..its a super phone
Falaris
QUOTE (Winder @ Jun 17 2010, 10:33 PM) *
I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan and will never let it go =P

Me too, but after working at Verizon I saw how they forced people off their old plans to get new phones. They would make up some feature, include it ONLY with new plans and refuse to make it also an add-on, and then say "Well for this phone to work you absolutely must upgrade your plan to our new one."

Maybe for this phone they'll allow the grandfathered stuff, but in another year it will probably be impossible to upgrade to iPhone 5 without changing your plan.
Winder
QUOTE (Falaris @ Jun 18 2010, 10:24 AM) *
Me too, but after working at Verizon I saw how they forced people off their old plans to get new phones. They would make up some feature, include it ONLY with new plans and refuse to make it also an add-on, and then say "Well for this phone to work you absolutely must upgrade your plan to our new one."

Maybe for this phone they'll allow the grandfathered stuff, but in another year it will probably be impossible to upgrade to iPhone 5 without changing your plan.

By the time that happens, all the networks will have LTE (except Sprint). Jailbreak and go to T-Mobile! =p
Falaris
QUOTE (Winder @ Jun 18 2010, 08:37 PM) *
By the time that happens, all the networks will have LTE (except Sprint). Jailbreak and go to T-Mobile! =p

That's true, which is frustrating about the change now when they are about to jump in capabilities and it will be even cheaper for them. But everyone seems to think AT&T was just the first to announce it and the rest will follow suit anyway. And unfortunately T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage in enough areas for where I am out in the boondocks most of the time.

And I wouldn't use Sprint even if they had LTE now and the iPhone didn't exist. After working for Nextel after Sprint took over, and working for another company that handled wireless accounts for huge companies where you had to call customer service for each major carrier, I can unequivocally say I absolutely HATE Sprint.
Winder
QUOTE (Falaris @ Jun 18 2010, 10:29 PM) *
That's true, which is frustrating about the change now when they are about to jump in capabilities and it will be even cheaper for them. But everyone seems to think AT&T was just the first to announce it and the rest will follow suit anyway. And unfortunately T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage in enough areas for where I am out in the boondocks most of the time.

And I wouldn't use Sprint even if they had LTE now and the iPhone didn't exist. After working for Nextel after Sprint took over, and working for another company that handled wireless accounts for huge companies where you had to call customer service for each major carrier, I can unequivocally say I absolutely HATE Sprint.

I was about to join Sprint myself (I am in a 4G WiMAX area, lucky me) but everyone told me how much they hated the network. I am probably going to stick with AT&T as long as I can get Unlimited Data and Jailbreak my iPhone. Actually it turns out that Sprint is the only one that will have almost unlimited (theoretically) network capacity (AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile are using LTE, which requires spectrum and is limited, despite its speed). WiMAX is just a glorified WiFi signal, so Sprint can keep working on its infrastructure to clear congestion and increase speeds. Of course that doesn't really mean anything since Sprint doesn't invest much into its infrastructure :-p. Basically, Sprint has unlimited potential it will never use, and the other three have limited potential they will all use up (and once they reach that point, they will be forced to raise prices to push demand down).

We must keep this thread alive! :-p
Falaris
New iOS4 Shortcuts, settings, etc.

I hadn't realized this until now, but the native mail app will now support archiving emails for GMail. If they just had some better support for labels, I'd be all in on using the mail app on my phone. I'm already starting to go back to it after trying GMail's Safari-based mobile site. It's a little more smooth and I can do a minimal amount of labeling and now archiving. Can always mark as unread to notify myself to do something about it on my desktop later in a worst case scenario too. Unified inbox and threaded emails are nice too.
Winder
QUOTE (Falaris @ Jun 21 2010, 08:16 PM) *
New iOS4 Shortcuts, settings, etc.

I hadn't realized this until now, but the native mail app will now support archiving emails for GMail. If they just had some better support for labels, I'd be all in on using the mail app on my phone. I'm already starting to go back to it after trying GMail's Safari-based mobile site. It's a little more smooth and I can do a minimal amount of labeling and now archiving. Can always mark as unread to notify myself to do something about it on my desktop later in a worst case scenario too. Unified inbox and threaded emails are nice too.

Perhaps playing around with this will keep me busy while I wait outside of a Wal-mart or AT&T store on Thursday morning :-p

Ugh....
Dritz
Hmm I'd like to upgrade to iOS4 (on my touch) but I don't want to update Itunes for umm reasons.
Winder
QUOTE (Dritz @ Jun 21 2010, 10:24 PM) *
Hmm I'd like to upgrade to iOS4 (on my touch) but I don't want to update Itunes for umm reasons.

I have those reasons too. The jail break is already done, but they will wait about a week after the new phone comes out to actually release it, just to make sure everything still works properly (and to make sure Apple can't respond that quickly :-p). I think I can go a week without it... I hope :-p
Dritz
Nah I'm not to interested in jail breaking. I just want to play my darn movies on whatever device I so choose. The jailbreaking community is considerably more active then that stuff. I guess it's because you can get movies in even less honourable ways then trying to get your own legal movies to work.

Bah stupid DRM.
Winder
QUOTE (Dritz @ Jun 21 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Nah I'm not to interested in jail breaking. I just want to play my darn movies on whatever device I so choose. The jailbreaking community is considerably more active then that stuff. I guess it's because you can get movies in even less honourable ways then trying to get your own legal movies to work.

Bah stupid DRM.

Actually iOS4 gets rid of most of my reasons for jailbreaking (multi-tasking, wallpapers, etc.). For movies I stream Netflix. The only reasons I have left are:

1. I want 5 icons instead of 4 at the bottom.
2. Wi-fi hot spot for my laptop/other stuff.
3. Force Wi-fi only apps to work on 3G.

I don't think I have much else left other than that. Apple is slowly adding the jailbreak features most people care about.
Falaris
A lot of my reasons are gone too, but I expect I'll still need to jailbreak for the following:

1. Real multitasking. The main reason I need multitasking is because I use an IRC client to talk to other Devils fans when I am watching games. I like to switch out of there and check Facebook/websites/texts/Twitter/etc. from time to time, and the multitasking solutions Apple is offering does not cover things like IRC programs. Without jailbroken multitasking, any time I get a call or text message, I am disconnected from the chat unless I want to ignore the call/text.

2. biteSMS - I love this program. It fixes all the problems I have with the native text app, and I can reply to text messages from any screen or start a new text message from any screen without leaving whatever app I'm in. Exactly how texting should work on the iPhone. I think iOS4 brings some of these features, but I'm not sure I can get all of them.

3. 3G Unrestrictor - I very rarely am not on Wifi, but I want all my stuff to work the few times I'm not.

4. FindMyI, just in case. If MobileMe ever becomes free then this will become redundant.

5. ToneFXs, because I cannot stand that you cannot set text messages and voicemail to have different tones. Maybe this is finally fixed in iOS4. It's also nice to make ringtones out of any of my songs.

6. Emulation - I love that I have a Gameboy on my iPhone. NES emulation isn't bad either. Anything beyond that is too hard due to not having physical buttons and there is only so much room on the screen for a controller too.

That's pretty much it though.
Winder
QUOTE (Falaris @ Jun 22 2010, 10:12 AM) *
A lot of my reasons are gone too, but I expect I'll still need to jailbreak for the following:

1. Real multitasking. The main reason I need multitasking is because I use an IRC client to talk to other Devils fans when I am watching games. I like to switch out of there and check Facebook/websites/texts/Twitter/etc. from time to time, and the multitasking solutions Apple is offering does not cover things like IRC programs. Without jailbroken multitasking, any time I get a call or text message, I am disconnected from the chat unless I want to ignore the call/text.

2. biteSMS - I love this program. It fixes all the problems I have with the native text app, and I can reply to text messages from any screen or start a new text message from any screen without leaving whatever app I'm in. Exactly how texting should work on the iPhone. I think iOS4 brings some of these features, but I'm not sure I can get all of them.

3. 3G Unrestrictor - I very rarely am not on Wifi, but I want all my stuff to work the few times I'm not.

4. FindMyI, just in case. If MobileMe ever becomes free then this will become redundant.

5. ToneFXs, because I cannot stand that you cannot set text messages and voicemail to have different tones. Maybe this is finally fixed in iOS4. It's also nice to make ringtones out of any of my songs.

6. Emulation - I love that I have a Gameboy on my iPhone. NES emulation isn't bad either. Anything beyond that is too hard due to not having physical buttons and there is only so much room on the screen for a controller too.

That's pretty much it though.

I forgot about Emulation. I play Genesis a lot.

I found out AT&T won't have the phones in stores Thursday morning, I am going to be camping in Wal-mart...a horrible horrible place no one should ever be forced to enter.
Falaris
Two more things I like and miss about jailbreak now that I upgraded to iOS4:

1. The main reason I bought biteSMS in the first place was so I could minimize the keyboard by tapping inside the conversation window whenever I was talking to someone (you know, like every other native app on the iPhone). I thought Apple would have fixed this by now and yet still you have to go out to the list of all the people you have messaged and then back into the message to minimize the keyboard without sending something. Unbelievable.

2. Quickscroll - Can't believe I forgot this, but it is one of those enhancements to the phone and not just an app. Great for quickly scrolling down any long webpages.

After upgrading, things I've noticed:

1. Backgrounding and Kirikae (or some other variant of an app switcher) have been around for years now, and Apple managed to completely ignore how they did it to try to re-invent the wheel. They failed miserably. Leaving every program open and running once you use it on your phone until you manually close it in the app switcher bar was a terrible idea, compounded by the fact that you only get 4 icons of your running apps on the screen at once and have to swipe to see more. Having to swipe around 2-3 times between apps is stupid, I might as well just use the damn home menu screen and select the app normally. You should have to select which apps you actually want to background automatically, and have the rest close like normal every time you exit out of them. I hope the jailbreak community comes up with a solution that lets you pick programs and force them to close upon normal exit (hitting Home button), while letting them stay open if you use the multitasking feature to switch to another program while it is open.

2. Folders - Great, so I have a bunch of basically the same icon flooding my screen and have to read the names of each folder rather than having a different, unique item for each one for quick identification like with Categories. Another horrible implementation of something that has worked great in the jailbreak community for years now. Again, I hope the jailbreak community steps in. I hope that there will be a program to change specific icons, specifically for folders (I don't like skinning all the icons together via Winterboard, as often I have apps with icons that haven't been skinned yet and then it just looks crappy having a mix).

Quite frankly, I think these were the two biggest things Apple had to address and add to iOS, and despite years of the jailbreaking community having them both down almost perfectly, Apple still manages to make it crappy and sub-par. Very, very disappointed with how both of these actually work.

Furthermore, I have to say I'm pretty glad I won't be getting iPhone 4 for a few months. The reception is apparently atrocious and you have to use a case or the new bumpers to prevent your hand from interfering with the antennas as you hold it, people are getting yellow spots on their screens, and the white model I think I want is delayed because they are having problems manufacturing them. I hope by then they have some of these things figured out, there is no reason for so many basic things to not be working correctly on such a "magical" device.

Although I'll be getting it for the device enhancements that I've wanted for awhile (faster, better battery, better camera, higher res screen), I have never been so underwhelmed and disappointed by the iPhone as I have been recently.
Winder
iPhone 4 achieved!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.