Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't Let Your Parents Ever Say...
Nexus Forums > Non-Nexus Forums > Non-Nexus Discussion
Iter
They just help me get a job today (in addition to my academic background, writing and language skills) as an English editor/localizer/sometimes-translator for a Chinese company's browser games department, pulling a nice salary for a foreigner in China. http://www.hithere.com

On a side-note, my would-be boss in the interview was putting forward the hypothesis that China could be a video game exporter in the future like Japan has been in the last two decades. Interesting thought. Apparently people in this position are in demand (as for now, Chinese companies can make quite a profit off a smaller North American player population because of exchange rate). We'll see if that translates to actual product quality, or as my boss put it: when they'll get their Final Fantasy.
IamAmage
Yeah plus, to be honest.. Nexus increased my typing speed and changed the way I type. I actually (try to) use correct grammar and punctuation, even in AIM and text messaging..

u shud hav seen me typ n aim b4 i playd nexus
Corath
QUOTE (IamAmage @ Mar 1 2010, 01:46 PM) *
Yeah plus, to be honest.. Nexus increased my typing speed and changed the way I type. I actually (try to) use correct grammar and punctuation, even in AIM and text messaging..

u shud hav seen me typ n aim b4 i playd nexus

This is actually what happened with me as well. Before Nexus, I didn't care about writing properly online, I did the horrific "AIM-speak".

When I broke my arm, I started to type faster... probably because my wrist was in the proper position. /shrug
Mazel
I even think I learned some vocabulary from Nexus as a young lad. But, I don't think I'll ever go to an interview and impress anyone with my ability to press df<df<df<df<df< over and over (mining for me) or pressing the arrow keys while chatting to some random person. Sure, maybe the computer games I've played have helped a little with my button-pressing skills or hand-eye coordination, but they were/are still a relative waste of time (That said I've recently been playing "escape the room" games that kind of challenge the brain). The worst is a game like Guild Wars that tells you to take a break every hour and where you can see how much time you've played. All those hours I could have worked out or studied instead of waste time clicking and pressing buttons for some fun. In terms of time usage, if staring at a wall is a 0 and working to pay the bills is a 10, I'd say playing video games is a 2. Just my thoughts.
IamAmage
QUOTE (Mazel @ Mar 1 2010, 06:13 PM) *
I even think I learned some vocabulary from Nexus as a young lad. But, I don't think I'll ever go to an interview and impress anyone with my ability to press df<df<df<df<df< over and over (mining for me) or pressing the arrow keys while chatting to some random person. Sure, maybe the computer games I've played have helped a little with my button-pressing skills or hand-eye coordination, but they were/are still a relative waste of time (That said I've recently been playing "escape the room" games that kind of challenge the brain). The worst is a game like Guild Wars that tells you to take a break every hour and where you can see how much time you've played. All those hours I could have worked out or studied instead of waste time clicking and pressing buttons for some fun. In terms of time usage, if staring at a wall is a 0 and working to pay the bills is a 10, I'd say playing video games is a 2. Just my thoughts.

First off.. THE BEST Point and Click game ---> The Mystery of Time and Space!

Next.. try doing p90x for working out. I downloaded it free off bittorrent, it's a HUGE file. I don't know if you've seen/heard of it, but I've been doing it for about a month now and I started seeing results after 1 week.. no joke. It's only about an hour-an hour and 15 mins of workout every day and I swear by it. Muscle confusion ftw. I have a six-pack now! Then you can click around using the computer all you want and it's all good! =P
Foxfire
QUOTE (Iter @ Feb 28 2010, 11:42 PM) *
They just help me get a job today (in addition to my academic background, writing and language skills) as an English editor/localizer/sometimes-translator for a Chinese company's browser games department, pulling a nice salary for a foreigner in China. http://www.imop.com/english/

On a side-note, my would-be boss in the interview was putting forward the hypothesis that China could be a video game exporter in the future like Japan has been in the last two decades. Interesting thought. Apparently people in this position are in demand (as for now, Chinese companies can make quite a profit off a smaller North American player population because of exchange rate). We'll see if that translates to actual product quality, or as my boss put it: when they'll get their Final Fantasy.

Oi, Iter, hook me up with some of that. I speak Chinese fluently too! laugh.gif
MainAttraction
thanks guys for a really cool thread. smile.gif

my mom just came into my room when i was playin on my wii and said "video games are a waste of time" so i slapped her in the face cuz of ur advice and said, don't you ever say that again u ho.

i got my wii taken away from me for 3 weeks becuz of that stunt and no desert. and it was was jello night. jello night guys. jello night. thanks again.

can you guys put your addresses up here cause I really want to express my gratitude for this thread to u. smile.gif

completely unrelated: any1 know where an 8 yr old can get airfare for cheap and a mean right hook?
Yeas
Only thing I got from Nexus was talking in really short lines/sentences so they fit in the character limit for Nexus chat.
Mazel
Thanks IamAmage that was a great game.

On topic, my sister actually blames Nexus for her bad typing because it forced her to type before she learned in school. She always uses caps lock to make capital letters - it's so funny yet sad.
IamAmage
QUOTE (Mazel @ Mar 2 2010, 02:54 PM) *
Thanks IamAmage that was a great game.

On topic, my sister actually blames Nexus for her bad typing because it forced her to type before she learned in school. She always uses caps lock to make capital letters - it's so funny yet sad.

You beat it already? 0.o

How long did it take you to do the whole thing? It's a big-ass game.. The green wall took me a while =(
Mazel
I'm on spring break (in winter lol) so I had time. I know I could be playing Nexus!!!! but I don't really need to waste the money and time especially since I still have homework and labs to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.