Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Balloon Boy
Nexus Forums > Non-Nexus Forums > Non-Nexus Discussion
Musoyan
It was a really scary ordeal to think of if it were real but I watched this on CNN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6UONWCq7A...layer_embedded#

When they asked Falcon if he heard them when they yelled for him, he said "you said we did it for the show"
.....BUSTED!!!

Here is Wolf Blitzer asking him why the kid said that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxtFXtiUbbw...=response_watch

The parents (or at least the mentally insane dad) should be thrown in jail! Wasting all the money on cops, ambulances, helicopters etc only for it to all be a hoax and a joke for them to try to get on tv again.
Blackh
Yeah they were just on trading places

I dont think they told him to release the balloon because he probably wouldnt have hid in the closet, but Im sure they knew he wasnt in that damn balloon

Publicity!
Corath
They're talking about it on the radio this morning, and the DJ was saying that he was watching the CNN coverage of it. Apparently they had a "balloon expert", a "knot expert", a "(insert something here) expert". He also said that the "balloon expert" sounded like Professor Frink from the Simpsons - makes me wish I saw it.

But yeah, biggest non-story of the year.
Jisong
I always love stories that highlight the potential for tragedy simply because they involve children. News stories like this ruin television.

It was a really scary ordeal to think of if it were real

lol
Musoyan
QUOTE (Jisong @ Oct 16 2009, 12:57 PM) *
I always love stories that highlight the potential for tragedy simply because they involve children. News stories like this ruin television.

lol

its scary because it could have been true.. because of stupid retarded parents that are so busy trying to think of ways to get on t.v.
Falaris
Didn't care when it was happening. Though, I was talking to my Dad over IM and remarked how when they couldn't find the kid in the balloon when it landed, that I thought he was just hiding in the house for some reason, probably being afraid that he would get in trouble or something.

This is not to say I wish ill on the kid, of course I was hoping he would be ok, but I never follow news stories like this, especially when they have absolutely no effect on my life. It is sensationalism news, and nothing more. Although I wasn't watching TV, I know the news was covering that balloon for hours and probably pulled up every fact about this kid and his family down to his kindergarten grades and broadcast it trying to pass it off as news. Where is the news when kids are kidnapped? It isn't breaking news, it's on the 10PM news for just your local area with a 2 minute story and a hotline for any information. But a kid trapped in a balloon? Every news network, for hours, has cameras focused on the balloon.

It is just atrocious how Americans eat this crap up and then try to somehow integrate it into their lives on things that really are not nearly as important as other news stories out there, especially ones that could/do affect them.

Honesty, I cringed a little when I saw this topic on NF. The irony is now people seemingly are angry at this family, but really you are just giving him more attention which is what they wanted in the first place. If you put it out of your mind completely, they go away and that would ultimately be a bigger blow to them than any hate you could spew for having them "scare" you. Which brings up another topic on American stupidity that I just won't go into.

Suffice to say that I laugh at anyone who sat there watching the TV actually worried over this event, not because it isn't warranted to worry for a kid's safety, but it is hard to take seriously when people talk about how distressed they are over the news story, and then barely bat an eye when they hear about murders, rapes, etc. - you know, crimes that actually have real victims. And no, no matter how badly you wish it were true, you aren't a victim for having your emotions toyed with by some part-time storm chaser's desire to get on TV. There is a line between hoping someone comes out ok, and actually taking it personally, and the news nowadays makes it personal for too many people. No wonder there are so many people in therapy in this country when the world news is all about scaring the hell out of you.

-Falaris
Alston
Why is there a thread on this act of stupidity?
Musoyan
QUOTE (Alston @ Oct 16 2009, 03:45 PM) *
Why is there a thread on this act of stupidity?

Because I made it.
Alston
QUOTE (Musoyan @ Oct 16 2009, 12:53 PM) *
Because I made it.

You're fired.
xevu
QUOTE (Alston @ Oct 16 2009, 03:04 PM) *
You're fired.

Agreed
Musoyan
QUOTE (Alston @ Oct 16 2009, 04:04 PM) *
You're fired.

Fired from what? tongue.gif
Sarphendon
QUOTE (Musoyan @ Oct 17 2009, 12:57 AM) *
Fired from what? tongue.gif

Liberty bell.

Now then! HA hillarious. I was thinking the whole time anyway...How was that kid breathing in there? how come I cant see movement? Where are the viewing ports?
Voyce
This is worse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC2eF0L-QAA
Not sure if this went to the US, the baby survived but even watching it and knowing the baby is okay I almost shat myself. I'm not a extremely religious or anything but the baby surviving is the closest thing I've ever seen to a miracle.

P.S. Quick note, it's not mentioned in this video but there were high winds in the area at the time, it wasn't because the station had a slope or anything. It's horrible to think what can happen if you look away for even a second.
Alston
QUOTE (Voyce @ Oct 17 2009, 09:30 AM) *
This is worse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC2eF0L-QAA
Not sure if this went to the US, the baby survived but even watching it and knowing the baby is okay I almost shat myself. I'm not a extremely religious or anything but the baby surviving is the closest thing I've ever seen to a miracle.

P.S. Quick note, it's not mentioned in this video but there were high winds in the area at the time, it wasn't because the station had a slope or anything. It's horrible to think what can happen if you look away for even a second.

You have a keen eye for news, my friend. You're hired. We just opened up a spot for you (scroll up on this thread =P). wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.