Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amazon Kindle 2
Nexus Forums > Non-Nexus Forums > Non-Nexus Discussion
Falaris
I'm considering getting a Kindle due to how much I travel and the amount of downtime I have could be better spent I think. I was wondering if anyone uses this. I notice that most, not all, of the books I want are available on Kindle. It seems like there is a service to take a PDF eBook (even if it is experimental) that Amazon can try to convert for your Kindle. That would fill the gap for me I think on a lot of these books since I can usually find in eBook format off a torrent site or something.

I like that it is light, small, portable, etc., and it is something I can easily grab and go. I realize that it is a hit nationwide for a reason, but I'm more wondering if anyone has complaints about it that I don't know about that would annoy me so much as to regret paying $360 for a virtual book.

-Falaris
YanDaMan
QUOTE (Falaris @ Jun 4 2009, 12:29 PM) *
I'm considering getting a Kindle due to how much I travel and the amount of downtime I have could be better spent I think. I was wondering if anyone uses this. I notice that most, not all, of the books I want are available on Kindle. It seems like there is a service to take a PDF eBook (even if it is experimental) that Amazon can try to convert for your Kindle. That would fill the gap for me I think on a lot of these books since I can usually find in eBook format off a torrent site or something.

I like that it is light, small, portable, etc., and it is something I can easily grab and go. I realize that it is a hit nationwide for a reason, but I'm more wondering if anyone has complaints about it that I don't know about that would annoy me so much as to regret paying $360 for a virtual book.

-Falaris

I dont know if they changed or not, but if you read the user agreement (this was a while ago), they say they have the rights to remove any of your e-books if they feel something is up, meaning theres nothing you can do about it. Cant sue them or anything. Maybe this applied to Kindle 1, but I just remember Amazon Kindle being extremely flawed because of this policy.
Jisong
I've read some horrible things about the Kindle, more around the books and the strength of the device rather than the service. Amazon did not offer any way to transfer your original Kindle books to the Kindle 2 -- which means you have to buy all of those books/magazines/etc if you ever want to read them again. Both Kindles are only gray scale and unfortunately if you are an avid magazine reader this is well... bad.

Some customer reviews also said that the device was the easiest thing to break -- even when holding it normally. I watched the demo where they dropped it a couple feet from the ground, and it REALLY bent. I eventually considered not buying one simply because of the poor service and fail to transfer Kindle 1 things over. It just means when they come out with the next version the chances are it wont be backwards compatible either. Poor poor service imo...

Instead I just ordered 9 books (The Sword of Truth Series) May 18th and unfortunately only books 4-6 just arrived today due to shipping/stocking availability. I guess thats a downside to not having books on demand ohmy.gif
Falaris
QUOTE (Jisong @ Jun 4 2009, 01:28 PM) *
I've read some horrible things about the Kindle, more around the books and the strength of the device rather than the service. Amazon did not offer any way to transfer your original Kindle books to the Kindle 2 -- which means you have to buy all of those books/magazines/etc if you ever want to read them again.

I think you are wrong on this one. Amazon remembers your purchases, you have to re-download them but not pay again, according to their promo video, and said transferring wasn't a problem. Maybe those reviewers are just retarded.

-Falaris
Falaris
I decided to go ahead and buy one because the Pros outweighed any Cons I could see.

Generally, I take extremely good care of electronics, even without cases (my iPhone has had no case at all for just under a year now), so it being easily breakable is not a huge concern. I can see how people would say it could easily break being so light, thin, and small, but that is the hand off you get when buying a device where you see those as Pros. Still, because this is not something I'll keep on me as much as in packs or tossed into the back seat of my car, I got the leather case too. I was considering trying to use my iPhone as an eBook reader too but at some point you have to recognize the limitations of devices sad.gif Its just too small.

In my case it comes down to how I travel above all else. I hit the road with my desktop computer, flat-panel monitor, and all accessories, my laptop with a few accessories, multiple pairs of shoes, about 7 days worth of clothes on top of the few extra things I leave at my apartment (so 1 suitcase and then a bunch of hanging shirts), a bag with the Wii and all accessories, and a separate bag with a balance board. It takes me about 4 trips involving a flight of steps back and forth from my car to get everything into my apartment, unless I have already dropped the desktop off at work in which case more like 2-3. This doesn't include all the shopping I usually do before getting home so that I have food for the week which is another 1-2 trips since I'm pretty good being able to grab all the bags at once.

To have to carry a few books in a box or bag in all of that is just not appealing whatsoever. Already I'm about to bite the bullet and start using the laundry room on-site at my apartment to not have to deal with moving clothes back and forth.

Plus, to be honest, I like to read but I'm not a bookworm, so I don't think I'll be filling this up with 50-100 books (you never know, I guess).

-Falaris
HyuKo
My dad has one, uses it prolifically - He's never dropped it etc, it's in perfect condition. He has probably 500 books stored all around our house, now his kindle has 100 more on it.

It's a nice buy, especially since it'll save you money and room in your house ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.