Post #1

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 12,803

Poet PvP

I suck at it.

Right now I'm avatars, about 43/31

Yes my stats suck for avatars, but that's not what concerns me.

What concerns me is that I lock up. Too much is going on at once, and it's not like my Ranger where I can sit back at a distance and sleep arrow people for the entire match. I tend to only desperately try to keep myself alive, and not heal or help any of my teammates since I find it a constant struggle to keep HB up, SC off, and ASV on, and hold e whenever I get dozed by the onslaught of mages targeting me.

In carnages, is mouse targeting generally better? How do you deal with the awful fail rate of dispell?

My current gear:

Subpath helm
Charm
Soul Charm
Sun robes
Corrupted Ring
Corrupted Ring
Floret Pendant
Floret Pendant

Any general tips regarding PvP?

--------------------
今日, 海を見た。 もう恐くない。
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Foxfire
post Jan 27 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #2

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,761
Characters: Foxfire

Disclaimer: I am not a good PK poet.

Honestly, I never really attended PK events as a poet til I got into Paramount and Mayhem, besides getting obligatory wins for ee and sam.. I did those in the 6-99 events where I was just another body.. but I could dis/sc opposing tops or keep ASV on my teammates before some mage or rogue smacked the hell outta me and let my teammates carry the win.

As far as bracketed PK goes.. well, lots more vita would be good if you plan on maxing that bracket. If not, I'd probably just keep buying mana and move on up and worry about PK later on.

If you really just want to do well at your current size for now, definitely try to get a fighter who can tab-heal you and do it well, then try your best to keep periodically tapping HB no matter what else you're doing.. and in between tapping HB and healing, try to dis/sc the opposing team, then atone and ASV. Not sure how well this works in small brackets but it's what I do at Mayhem+. Eventually you'll figure out the rhythm for successful HBs (it's the same as for healouts) and be able to stay alive better. You just gotta deal with dis not working 90% of the time. It still fails like that at sa san. Haha.

I dunno how good your subpath helm is, but a casque isn't terribly expensive (250k - 500k) and is generally better. Also, if you have the money, go for some good subs (like lazulines (3m?) or boots (2m?) or flutes (1.5m?) at least -- subs have inflated ridiculously) and .. I dunno about hand items. Tengris are pretty good (200k-ish), my mage has some. I spent a long time using purified waters though -- super cheap! Haha. Vortex items are just way overpriced at 99 and the stats aren't great.

I personally try to target with a mouse if there are lots of people at an event and I lose my fighter or can't arrow key to a target very quickly. It's probably easier smaller brackets because there are fewer players per event.. but harder because poets are a prime target.

Uhm, that's all I got.

--------------------
~* Nwyfre Foxfire k'Treva *~

Freerice - Feed the hungry, expand your vocabulary.

+Quote Post
Pebbles
post Feb 3 2010, 01:26 AM
Post #3

Enchanted

Member No.: 676

If you use the number line instead of numpad change your hotkeys to this:
Put Sanctuary, Atone, Heal, HB all on the left side.
Put dispell/sc in the middle

Put all important aethered spells on the right side (eg: invoke, ret)

I usually cast HB or sanc/atone in between every spell frame set unless dispell goes through but not sc

Here's my typical casting:
Home ASV - Tab Tab ASV
[Choose target]
DIS/DIS/SC
(If dispell goes through but SC doesnt) SC/SC/SC
Home ASV - ATONE - Tab Tab ASV
[Choose target]
DIS/DIS/SC

Since you're low vita I'd switch out the asv/atone for HB instead

If dispell fails don't keep spamming it, switch back to HBing yourself for one spell frame set (3 spells) before continuing to dispell/sc people

+Quote Post
WestSideR
post Feb 3 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #4

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,403

If you cant type without looking at the keyboard or are constantly looking down for some reason, you're probably not going to be good at all. Like you said, there's tons going on. Which is one of the reasons I think poet pk is retarded. Your job basically, is to do everything -except- kill (because ret sucks and axe takes a while to get and even still isnt that great with huge aethers) ... asv/atone/heal/spire all your teamates while mashing dis sc and harden body so you dont die, not to mention asv/atone/heal yourself...
PK is much more fun as a mage/rogue/warr (in that order) ... and if I were you, I would heal just one or two people, keep one tabbed as your main, and the other if you see gets dis/sc/needs heal just target to him (press heal then click - if ur fast enough u wont die) but healing just one or two people + urself is much easier than the normal "heal my whole team" like I stated earlier.

Oh and a side note, turn off enter chat, to where you have to press ' to talk. Helps stop the "1" "12" chat because you pressed enter then spell instead of spell first (generally happens if you spam)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChiChi
post Feb 4 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Enchanted

Member No.: 2,743

I was never that great with PK and haven't done it in a very long time but I learned a lot from watching people.

Like forever ago I remember some Poet and Mage were after me in Sire - this was when I was horrible at PK, like had no clue what to do. And the Poet asked me something like ~ why do you atone yourself before casting Sanctuary? Or something like this

Anyway! The main lesson I learned was if I or my fighter are dispell and Scourge to Sanctuary first! So for now, since you're weak and all - You ought to just HB like mad if you're dispelled. But when you get stronger you should Sanctuary, Atone, Armor yourself.

Soooo tab really helps if you don't use mouse ( like I never use my mouse for anything ). But you should practice with mouse to see if it's better for you and to get a good feel for it. It can become handy when targeting people you're going after instead of cycling through everyone with the spell box. But with tab, I personally never tab myself but just tab my fighter. If I needed to target myself quickly I'd just use home key ~

Home key is your best friend. If you are very weak I would just recommend holding on everyone and dispell and scourging when fighters are near targets. I could never really focus with people spamming me with names but I don't know it may be easier for you.

To survive. One thing I learn from Drywater and Blackh is the power of food! I used Meat scraps or livers which you can buy at the Arena I think. So if you are dispelled you can eat eat eat while trying to HB. And your chances of surviving increase.
Try to do the same if dozed or if you've ever played a fighter you can try healing out. Which there's like a rythm to it I have no idea

Oh and go all vita until you're maxed, if you stay Avatars anyway. Once you're high vita you'll know if you should stay in Avatars or not. But if you get stronger and can't like handle how much multitasking you have to do then poeting's probably not for you.

People say Will helps dispelling and Scourge and it kind of does. For me I would Dispell-Pause-Dispell-Pause-Dispell-Scourge-Scourge. Like once I see dispell casts I just Scourge like mad. But I was really awful at dis/scing so that's probably not the best way to go about it tongue.gif

Oooooh and I've seen Poets do well with just P-waters and like flutes and whatever else. But I'm sure things that take away a lot of AC would help you when you are stronger.

+Quote Post
Lemonic
post Feb 11 2010, 01:11 AM
Post #6

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,210
Characters: Lemonic

I never consider myself as a good PK poet, but I am good enough for other people to call me a good chaos poet! So, here are my tips for you:

* Max your stats. If you are planning on doing the rest of you TK career PKing, then max your stats. It will increase your survivability and it make you not spam harden body as much. Maxing your stats also means maxing grace and will. I think will increases your chance of dispelling and scourging someone, and grace increases your chance of not getting hit (aka the spacebar attack).

* Get good gear. Good gear meaning decent "affordable" gear. We're not talking about "uber leet vortex itamz". But if you can afford it, then might as well buy it. If you max your stats, then get as much as AC and vita (Chaos-wise). These increases your chance of living HFs, LSs, DAs, WWs, Axeinyourface. The "affordable" gear I recommend you is a casque, fan (sunrise, seasons, or dragon), sun gown/robe OR wind gown/robe, the 97 lantern, corr. rings OR p. waters (if you like more protection than AC. Protection decreases the chance other people will dis/sc you). For your sub gear, get at least flutes (aren't they the cheapest) or black boots. Buy diamonds if you're rich.

* Predict. I know it's kind of hard to predict what will the other people will do, but it's simple. If somehow ended up with the other team, then spam asv/tone on you. The first priority teams will kill are the poets. A team without a poet, is dead team. If you're paired with a rogue, watch him/her as well, because the other team might attack the rogue first before you. Also, if you see a mage (ex. the top mage), try not to harden body because they might do the doze trick or something. Just try to heal out of the attack. Basically what I am saying is, if you're in the battlefield, do not let the enemy get you. Spam Sanc/Tone on yourself and your fighter.

* Learn to Dis/Sc. Some people do their dis/sc differently. Some do dis/sc/sc or dis/dis/dis then sc/sc/sc. And some do dis/sc/dis or sc/dis/sc. For me, I do dis/dis/sc. That way the chances of dispelling someone is high. If sc didn't go through then I sc/sc/sc. Dis/dis/sc then sc/sc/sc. But the flaw in this rotation is that I sometimes I do my same rotation after the dis/dis/sc and get a double dis. This means that I dis for another time and the sc that came with the first dis is gone.

* Healout. Some people can't do it, but a friend explained to me the concept of healing out. I forget the concept, but spamming heal or livers may not save you. If you put your livers at slot "E", you can repeatedly press E to eat out. Don't spam it, but press it like every .5 seconds~

* Watch other poets. If you stand in sire and watch top pk poets, then you will learn a thing or to. Top poets do little things to keep themselves alive. Like what Chiki said, that 'Sanc before tone' will save your butt. Watch and learn how the pro's do it. (But of course, some top poets do the impossible by using haxs and stuff.)

* Practice. Practice makes perfect. nuff said.

Anyways, that was my two cents. If you keep practicing, you will be one that gets dyed first. And it is an AWESOME feeling to get dyed before anyone else. rolleyes.gif

-Lemon. laugh.gif

--------------------

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

+Quote Post
Yeas
post Feb 13 2010, 06:00 AM
Post #7

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,209

QUOTE (Pebbles @ Feb 3 2010, 01:26 AM) *
If you use the number line instead of numpad change your hotkeys to this:
Put Sanctuary, Atone, Heal, HB all on the left side.
Put dispell/sc in the middle

Put all important aethered spells on the right side (eg: invoke, ret)

I usually cast HB or sanc/atone in between every spell frame set unless dispell goes through but not sc

Here's my typical casting:
Home ASV - Tab Tab ASV
[Choose target]
DIS/DIS/SC
(If dispell goes through but SC doesnt) SC/SC/SC
Home ASV - ATONE - Tab Tab ASV
[Choose target]
DIS/DIS/SC

Since you're low vita I'd switch out the asv/atone for HB instead

If dispell fails don't keep spamming it, switch back to HBing yourself for one spell frame set (3 spells) before continuing to dispell/sc people

Probably best way to say it.

Also, one thing I got in a habit of doing was casting asv/hb (double taps on 2 diff hot keys) even when I didn't need to. Just out of habit.

--------------------
"With great power, comes great blame" - The Order of the Stick

+Quote Post
Destyn
post Feb 19 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #8

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,817

I will never get poets that insist on constantly trying to HB. As a poet, the ONLY time I will cast HB is if I am either healing out or going up against someone that kills me asv/no sc.

Basically what I do, is I keep me main fighter/mage on tab. This way, no matter where they are on the map you can asv them in virtually no tab at all with double tab (or double v if you wish) and asv/atone. Get in the habit of trying to move while constantly casting sanctuary on both you and your fighter. If you know your fighter/mage has aethers (or perhaps no mana), then don't bother trying to dis/sc unless you have multiple fighters.

It's kind of hard to explain, so if you ever want me to try and show you what I mean in game let me know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FireTiger
post Feb 23 2010, 03:03 AM
Post #9

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

That old saying "Good things happen in three" applies to nexus spell casters. Its the most important thing to know when PKing. I'm sure someone can go into more detail about it, but basically only cast things in waves of threes, per second. Its how quickly the server responds.

At the avatar level focus on your fighter, and watch for rogue mage's. Keep the mages distracted with SC and your fighter healed and you should be fine.

None of this was helpful most likely since I haven't been to a carnage since you even heard about nexus =/

--------------------
"Anyone whose goal is 'something higher' must expect someday to suffer vertigo. What is vertigo? Fear of falling? No, Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves."
Milan Kundera (The Unbearable Lightness of Being)

+Quote Post
Blackh
post Apr 6 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #10

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 992

Old post, sorry!

You just have to be fast and constantly hold

Taking your finger off the sanc or hb button (in certain cases) for a second = death laugh.gif Mages are fast.

I suggest trying meat scraps, they save me a ton of lives. Put it in the 'E' spot and hit 'E' twice and you're safe, then heal!

But overall, poeting is never easy, but it's less strategy than a fighter

+Quote Post
Susana
post Jun 21 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #11

Level 5

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 8,462

lol. i use a PA for my Poet just for fun though. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
KingKong
post Jul 10 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #12

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 13,065

QUOTE (Jun @ Jan 27 2010, 12:54 AM) *
Poet PvP

I suck at it.

Right now I'm avatars, about 43/31

Yes my stats suck for avatars, but that's not what concerns me.

What concerns me is that I lock up. Too much is going on at once, and it's not like my Ranger where I can sit back at a distance and sleep arrow people for the entire match. I tend to only desperately try to keep myself alive, and not heal or help any of my teammates since I find it a constant struggle to keep HB up, SC off, and ASV on, and hold e whenever I get dozed by the onslaught of mages targeting me.

In carnages, is mouse targeting generally better? How do you deal with the awful fail rate of dispell?

My current gear:

Subpath helm
Charm
Soul Charm
Sun robes
Corrupted Ring
Corrupted Ring
Floret Pendant
Floret Pendant

Any general tips regarding PvP?

forrget your gear unless your maxing a carnage class. Which if that was the case your gear fails. If you are weak in a carnage then smash HB ALWAYS, EVEN WHILE WALKING, if you are buff then smash Sanctuary. It sounds like you need to stay away from direct combat if you are being overwhelmed. You are better off staying back and running fast.

people who say dont smash HB, are much buffer than you. if you get killed asv/sc then sanc isn't gonna save you. You need to HB and EAT MEAT! when you are dozed every single time you need to be fast on using ctrl (letter) to eat bears liver or lifes blossoms or whatever you got, as soon as you live through the attack then HB. If you get dozed after every HB, it is frustrating.. but if you only Sanc you will be killed. There is no better option.

Try to avoid fighters and especially mages. Having a good fighter smashing heal on you is very helpful. A great poet who is below the level cap will stay alive by HB and eating Meat, and focus on Disp/sc on *who the fighter/mage wants to kill* vent/skype shouldn't be necessary.. look at the screen and see who is vulnerable to attack. with some experience this should be obvious.

run fast, disp/sc whoever looks vulnerable, and keep moving.. dont stay still to help people who are dead anyway, keep moving, and keep HB on while you walk, and you will be a good low level poet in carnages.

**If you are maxed for your carnage, use Sanc instead of HB, it will save you being stuck and just make sure you are never caught disp/sc without casting sanc before they attack.. this is done by ALWAYS CASTING SANC.. even when you are logged off and asleep, you should be casting sanc in ur sleep.

pebbles makes a good point about casting disp a few times before smashing SC, disp will fail, your routine should not be disp/sc, but rather disp/disp/disp/sc/sc/sc/sc to catch someone.

--------------------
Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 11:59 AM