> Quotas
XtremeX
post Jul 9 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Level 5

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 211
Characters: XtremeX

A nexuswiki article about quotas/shadow interest gave me the idea now that nexus is under new managment if it was at all possible if you think quotas could be removed. This I think would greatly increase the rp of the community, no more quota n00bs would be hanging around n gate mythic saying 'OMGz Letz go Huntz Rabbit2 PLX, I AM BUFFZORZ" (too many times I have seen a member of what I once thought was a serious path putting their path rp to shame) .

I just feel that the nexus community is going to crap and this would atleast be one major step in improving it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ishman
post Jul 9 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #2

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 126

Some if not most paths have more than enough active members to fill quota. I would think it inconsequential to say, "Get out" to those people who bring disgrace to their path. Nowadays, at least with shaman, this is true. We really aren't in a position such that we have to walk anyone and everyone we see just to fill quota. I personally tend to be hard on potential seekers whether they know it or not.

Of course, if the trend of a shrinking player base continues for very long, eventually the quota will have to be removed, anyway.

+Quote Post
XtremeX
post Jul 9 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #3

Level 5

Member No.: 211
Characters: XtremeX

Yeah I mainly meant for subpaths that are having a hard time. And those that should probably be more exclusive based on their rp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
George
post Jul 9 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 138

Excluding people from role playing aspects of the game does not create more role playing.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ishman
post Jul 10 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #5

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 126

True, but if they "speek like dis LOL OMG pwnz0red IRL!" they belong nowhere in any roleplaying path. Also, it would be silly to include someone who doesn't really "fit" the profile based on their roleplay. It's pretty easy to make subtle changes to your character's history and behavior over time. Nobody's going to tell the difference. tongue.gif In other words, if you really want in the path and don't currently fit the profile, just "play god" for a few moments and make your character fit.

+Quote Post
Halome
post Jul 10 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #6

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 81
Characters: Halome, Proserpine

Well, KRU DID make it easier for Subpaths by lowering quota from 100 to 50. Now most paths (Fighter paths especially..since ALOT of people go NPC for Warrior and rogue) are much further away from the danger zone since some of them were *sadly* dipping slightly below 100 quite often.

--------------------

QUOTE (YanDaMan @ May 8 2007, 08:21 AM) *
I'd be the best Pink ranger ever!

+Quote Post
Samulayo
post Jul 13 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #7

Level 5

Member No.: 36

I do believe kru removed quota some time ago.

+Quote Post
Conti
post Jul 13 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #8

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 69

QUOTE(Samulayo @ Jul 13 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]2381[/snapback]

I do believe kru removed quota some time ago.

Qouta is not removed... thats all I can say...

I think qouta should stay not because it makes it a lil easier to join a pc path but because it makes the SP enforce activity. Whats the purpose of having only a 25 person subpath.... Its just stupid to compair to other subpaths they would have to work 4 times as hard and I just don't see 25 people able to do that...

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Samulayo
post Jul 13 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #9

Level 5

I've heard from walkers and guides that quota is indeed removed and for a subpath to get disbanded it'd have to be like rediculously low in members.

+Quote Post
Iter
post Jul 13 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #10

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 166
Characters: Tiker, Celeriter, Kenjo, Blackmorrow, Mabon

QUOTE(Conti @ Jul 13 2006, 11:43 AM) [snapback]2406[/snapback]

Qouta is not removed... thats all I can say...

I think qouta should stay not because it makes it a lil easier to join a pc path but because it makes the SP enforce activity. Whats the purpose of having only a 25 person subpath.... Its just stupid to compair to other subpaths they would have to work 4 times as hard and I just don't see 25 people able to do that...

Subpaths shouldn't have to enforce activity. If they didn't walk grotesque numbers in the first place, they could spend more time on quality aspirants who, as walkers, would be more inclined to be active having worked hard to get in the path in the first place.

+Quote Post
Samulayo
post Jul 14 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #11

Level 5

Well most of the time it's not work to get into a subpath, it's time.

+Quote Post
Sxymail
post Jul 14 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #12

Level 99

Member No.: 285

I completely agree with Iter there. When you know you are one of the select few to be welcomed into a SP, you tend to be much more active because you can easily be replaced by someone else who wants to do it.

What I see now is that walkers know the path needs numbers, so they can push the bar of idiocy more often because they know they are needed. I do believe a quota should be in place, but it should be lowered. Maybe 30-35? The reason I say that is because most paths will probably keep the number closer to 50-60 in order to stay well above the quota, and considering the nexus population is much lower now than pre-quota, having 30-60 members per path might STILL exceed the number of dedicated people out there, but at least it allows a decent number of people to join a subpath if they want to.

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Jul 14 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

This is always a funny subject whenever somebody brings it up. Always people are guessing at what it is. But here is the fact, there ~IS~ still a quota in place. No it isnt as high as it used to be under Nexon, but because of the situation the Chongun were in for a while, I fought and fought along with the other Elders to have a more suitable quota number to compensate for the nomber of players there are actually in Nexus.

With that being said, I will not say what the quota is, which hasnt been mentioned here yet either. But I will say it is mainly ment for our requests. If we want to request something when our time comes, our numbers HAS to be above the set number givin to us. Not to mention even if you are still above, if you lose ((lets say for example)) 15-20 people in a day or 2, that would affect your request standing too.

Now as for my personal thoughts... Should quota's be in effect? Yes and no. Yes in terms for asking for subpath requests, but thats it. If the numbers go below, oh well, no requests. Simple as that. But we shouldnt have to be subjected to any scrutiny from the Archons about it either as we are now. As for making the paths easier to get into, that is a bad joke. Paths are way too easy now as it is. Everybody wants everything handed to them now without working for anything. There is no challenge anymore.

As for activity within paths... Dont get me started on that.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Michike
post Jul 18 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #14

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 78

I think it's funny People talk about "work" to be a part of a subpath. I disagree, subpaths are meant to have fun. The quota is there to ensure that we don't get the little elitist clubs, that's also why it's needed. I personally don't think trials are there to be "hard", trials are there to learn what the path is about.

How extras are distributed, is up to the path's management. That in turn is something that can be "hard", receiving subpath items, spells and the like shouldn't be a piece of cake handed to you. I however find it funny (yes again) that some think hard = tedious. There are dozens of ways to make quests for items and spells fun, yet hard enough so that it doesn't seem you got it for free.

What is a "quality-aspirant" ? Some find that quality is defined by the ability to read a scroll, others find quality in the aptitude to roleplay and even others find quality in those that after being walked are active in the path.

I might be blind or not as easily bothered but I quite frankly don't see as many people not worthy of being in their path. I think I might be biased though. Still I stick to my main point here, there really isn't that much interest in the paths from people who aren't worth the deal and they don't get walked unless they show their ability to "quality". I've found that to be the argument of those who prefer to keep their secret little club private.

Inactivity is a problem, yes. That's because of the 4-character accounts, and not forgetting people with multiple accounts. You can not be an active member of several (while some might argue that they can, you really can't do a good job at all paths at the same time unless you're some kind of superhero).

And all that to say that quota, a thing that still exists (less and different then it used to be), is not the origin of the problem. It contributes to the problem but it's the people that knowingly enter a path, just as any achievement (like say getting sun armor) without a wish to enjoy what the path is about.

Nexus has changed, doing away with quota completely and making the joining process harder will not change a thing about activity. The people who play nexus have changed, some grew up, others are new faces in the crowds. The world has changed, it's not about achieving something you're proud of anymore it's about receiving a maximum these days.

Anyhow
/rant

--------------------
Michike Kamiyama R.I.P.
QUOTE (Alston @ Feb 15 2010, 04:12 PM) *
Nexus is a big example of how most governmental systems work (with a few differences, of course).

+Quote Post
Hardcore nexus p...
post Jul 19 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #15

Level 5

Member No.: 115

Quota has been in effect too long. Doesnt matter if you remove it completely or not. Every path has a group that dont belong there but they are encouraged and welcomed because they are "active" and by active I mean host alot of events. Even though that person's character doesnt fit the path at all.

RP paths only care about two things now: Itams that pwns and having alot of members.

Too bad you dont get tribute by how well your path roleplays or the roleplay quaility of your events (dont have a crossword puzzle)

+Quote Post
Zaventh
post Jul 19 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #16

Level 5

Member No.: 29

The quota was "reduced" to 50 accounts... meaning not 50 walkers, but 50 unique players. It is arguable whether this was even an improvement over the 100 walker quota. Quota for clans remain the same, by the way, despite a declining member base and the creation of tribes/rings.

I think as long as the quota remains in effect for both subpaths and clans, the game will continue to suffer. As in many cases, only in freedom are things made great. Groups which are forced to admit members, forced to have compatable roleplay, forced to "play nice" with the rest of the kingdom, and forced to be demystified will never be the unique and respected groups they once were and could be again.

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Jul 21 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #17

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

The quota is a way to fear people into staying around for the livlihood of the organizations they love.

Ultimately, if your organization is one of the chosen ones or you have friends in the right places, quotas and everything else really don't matter. Similarly, the opposite is also true, if you have enemies, then every little thing they can get you on is counted.

The fact that the quota itself was all secretive when it was lowered is retarded to me. "Yes it was lowered but we aren't saying what it is."

It's 50 accounts, as mentioned in the post above mine. Big deal. Yes, it did ease a lot of pressure up TECHNICALLY. However, the archons put in a nice little clause that I could never fully clear up because they specifically meant for it to be vague to screw people over. "You cannot have your numbers declining, you need to continually grow." I asked what constituted decline, and what about remaining steady, or if one night I kicked out 4 people would I all of a sudden not get a request. I got an even more vague answer back.

So no, the paths can't just drop down to 50 accounts automatically, in fact now its even worse because you are expected to still have numbers similar to the old quota by their clause statements. Of course, paths have gotten away by slowly declining as a whole, and a few were in the 70s (accounts) if I recall correctly from when I was elder. As far as I hear, things are just getting worse. Even during the summer, when accounts should be increasing, more are going unregistered.

If you think the quota is bad, you should listen to some of the absolutely ridiculous rules they have in some cases. You know those rules some states have that cost money to remove from the books, so they just leave the laws in there, like you cannot park a horse on the west side of a street after dark? Same thing, one instance comes up, and the almighty come down and hand us this long, drawn-out, 'official' page of rules regarding something completely ludicrous. Widget addressed Princess Lasahn "incorrectly" I guess just shortly after my thing with Prince M'hul, and Pueulla went and posted a list of rules of how elders WILL address royals and proper etiquette.

I bet some of you think I'm joking too. Trust me, I have no love for Widget really at all, and I completely disagreed with her regarding the situation (and many prior to that), but they should not have done that and she should have had the right to do what she did and talk to the Princess like that.

Some of the others are how our requests must be formatted, sent in, and others are so vague or contradictory, leaving the people who run organizations to try to think outside the box as much as they can. Then the archons accuse us of trying to cheat the system (and admittedly, many do, myself included, but in all fairness take a look at the Merchant path, and since we got cheated on 4 years-worth of requests, I feel I am justified in asking for a major modification when I can fit it within the guidelines of requests, which I DID). Worse, I can even get the head archon to approve my request after jumping through hoops for 3 weeks and re-writing my request 6 times, only to then see the next mail in my Inbox be from Pueulla saying (paraphrased with sarcasm), "No, even though I worked with you for 3 weeks on this, this request cannot be done whatsoever." They even made up a special way to format requests because of mine, to force me into downsizing it. Mind you, and this is important, at the same time Pueulla gave me all these problems, I had just started fighting with M'hul publicly over my changes to the Merchant Guild. Draw your own conclusions.

-Falaris

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 05:44 PM