> What Stagnation Looks Like, Data from November '16
Tynan
post Mar 3 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #101

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 12

A "retro" server is the exact opposite direction Kru should go in, as it assumes that Nexus was, from a gameplay perspective, a better game in the past than it is now. To be fair, I have not played Nexus since...2008? 2009?...but I can say with certainty that the game got better in the decade that I played mostly on and sometimes off.

Was 3.0 fun? Undoubtedly. You have no idea how much fun I had finding the secret Boa room in the snake cave and the hours I spent there, running, zapping, and smoking that sweet herb pipe. Or later, leeching people in the Elder Monkey room? Awesome. But, that is just a subjective experience and, objectively, the game was primitive and had minimal content.

The only reason past nostalgia and social bonds that Nexus seemed better in the past is that it actually was, relative to other games, better back then than it is now. When it primarily competed with Ultima Online and EverQuest, it was quite good. Sure, the graphics were primitive and the mechanics simplistic, but really, the others weren't much better. The trouble is, Nexus had the barest of incremental improvements since 4.0, which was the last era, in my opinion, where it was a strong game relative to the market.

Nexon, and later Kru, squandered the vast potential Nexus had by simply not recognizing the changing market, the advancements in other games, and adapting their game and investing in it. There is absolutely no reason the graphics and engine of Nexus could not have supported something approaching the gameplay complexity and engagement of a modern MMORPG, and it is a shame it never did. I loved (and probably still do) the style of Nexus, but the developers did not ever seem to love it as much as other players and I did, and it showed. Minimal updates, recycled events, and lazy, grind-based mechanics that reward nothing but time invested.

Do you know what would bring me back? A complete re-imagining of Nexus rebuilt from the ground up and moved forward, not backward. The basic style and look of the game (minus the atrocious blend of graphics from 3.0/4.0 and later clients) is absolutely fine, but the mechanics built around it - from paths to hunting to crafting and everything in between - are miserable. They do not have to be. The game could have, mechanically, a modern feel and tons to do. It was mentioned earlier how private server versions implemented raids, etc. - yes! This is exactly the stuff Kru should have done and should be doing, as opposed to rolling back a decade of work in the vain pursuit of chasing nostalgia.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Krmit
post Mar 6 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #102

Enchanted

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 234

QUOTE (Tynan @ Mar 3 2017, 08:42 PM) *
A "retro" server is the exact opposite direction Kru should go in, as it assumes that Nexus was, from a gameplay perspective, a better game in the past than it is now. To be fair, I have not played Nexus since...2008? 2009?...but I can say with certainty that the game got better in the decade that I played mostly on and sometimes off.

Was 3.0 fun? Undoubtedly. You have no idea how much fun I had finding the secret Boa room in the snake cave and the hours I spent there, running, zapping, and smoking that sweet herb pipe. Or later, leeching people in the Elder Monkey room? Awesome. But, that is just a subjective experience and, objectively, the game was primitive and had minimal content.

The only reason past nostalgia and social bonds that Nexus seemed better in the past is that it actually was, relative to other games, better back then than it is now. When it primarily competed with Ultima Online and EverQuest, it was quite good. Sure, the graphics were primitive and the mechanics simplistic, but really, the others weren't much better. The trouble is, Nexus had the barest of incremental improvements since 4.0, which was the last era, in my opinion, where it was a strong game relative to the market.

Nexon, and later Kru, squandered the vast potential Nexus had by simply not recognizing the changing market, the advancements in other games, and adapting their game and investing in it. There is absolutely no reason the graphics and engine of Nexus could not have supported something approaching the gameplay complexity and engagement of a modern MMORPG, and it is a shame it never did. I loved (and probably still do) the style of Nexus, but the developers did not ever seem to love it as much as other players and I did, and it showed. Minimal updates, recycled events, and lazy, grind-based mechanics that reward nothing but time invested.

Do you know what would bring me back? A complete re-imagining of Nexus rebuilt from the ground up and moved forward, not backward. The basic style and look of the game (minus the atrocious blend of graphics from 3.0/4.0 and later clients) is absolutely fine, but the mechanics built around it - from paths to hunting to crafting and everything in between - are miserable. They do not have to be. The game could have, mechanically, a modern feel and tons to do. It was mentioned earlier how private server versions implemented raids, etc. - yes! This is exactly the stuff Kru should have done and should be doing, as opposed to rolling back a decade of work in the vain pursuit of chasing nostalgia.

You made the very valid point of Nexus was a top class game compared to other games of its kind, at that time. So we remember playing the best of the best, now the way the gaming landscape has changed, we hold onto those memories but the quality of game is much different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 11:02 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.