IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rp Town Rp Expectations, Food for thought!
What type of RP are you expecting in the RP Town?
What type of RP are you expecting in the RP Town?
Imaginative RP [ 4 ] ** [12.90%]
Assisted RP [ 5 ] ** [16.13%]
Forced RP [ 11 ] ** [35.48%]
Casual RP [ 5 ] ** [16.13%]
All of the above [ 6 ] ** [19.35%]
Total Votes: 32
Guests cannot vote 
Jisong
post Feb 9 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #1

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 169

I was studying for Organic Chemistry... and happened to daze off into the Nexus realm. It dawned on me that there are a significant number of "RP" methods. Although these aren't scientific types of RP, its just something that I have noticed throughout my several years of playing Nexus. I simply wonder what type of RP you'd like to see in the RP town.

• Imaginative RP
  • Assisted RP
  • Forced RP
  • Casual RP
  • All types of RP

Let me describe;

Imaginative RP:
The subpaths that still take part in RPing lead this genre of RPing. Using the myths and legends of potentially true historical references, subpaths created this innovative set of RP. In a way, its like assisted RP, but with more imagination. I could see the RP Town assimilating a significant part of a historical asian town or kingdom into the RP Town. The majority of the creative side of this RP comes from the individual RPer's however.

Assisted RP:
I am biased towards this, because I feel you need content to fully enjoy RPing about without feeling like a total loser or reject of life. However; from an unbiased view... this type of RP is the genre that uses in game scenarios and events to encourage and expand the realm of RP. Ie; ChiZao/Johaih talking and recruiting normal citizens to their "evil side." The Triiofa naming Padrixie as one of the decoders of their language is another good example but it was never expanded on enough. Essentially, this RP requires regular scenarios to stir up some life!

Forced RP:
Possibly the most emotionally intense and yet at the same time the most awkward... I have seen several individuals get completely lost in their RP and it really hurts watching them. The "Romeo's and Juliets" of Nexus who pretend to have children in game and take their in game marriages way to personal. The people that can never put down a *looks at the piece of rat meat awkwardly and decides not to eat it* and spams chat with the most uncomfortable and sometimes downright stupid text. This type of RP is completely and personally made up, and although I've seen it done correctly... I just don't PERSONALLY enjoy it because it generally comes out horrible.

Casual RP:
Probably the most popular... since "casual is in" (I hate you Nintendo...). Casual RP is just what it sounds like. The casual RP, sort of encompassing all the genre's listed above but never really amounts to anything spectacular. Often times I see this just for the Nexus player who wants a subpath mark or item, and then forgets RP existed at all upon attaining their goal. I don't think that this is bad, but I do think it has lead to an unhealthy atmosphere of RP... and it usually requires rewards or some type of merit system to keep it going.

So... whats your favorite style of RP?

I did add an "all of the above" mark simply for the anal people who will point out that "an RP town is supposed to encourage all types of RP" blah blah smack against me... but I am more interested in what type you would RATHER see.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dricas
post Feb 10 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #2

Enchanted

Member No.: 1,562
Characters: Dricas

I'm looking forward to how they're going to handle each player's role individually. My guess is that you'll have a thinly-veiled, overlaid storyline through which to work, and folks will probably expect you to RP based loosely around that.

I could also see a town system much like that of Dark Ages, where players are "endorsed" by other players for positions that would give multiple directions in the (presumably interlinked) quest lines provided by the new town. I can see how that could lead to a hazy mix of assisted and forced RP (as you called them), but quite honestly, I think people would be alright with that.

The hardest thing to do at this scale, RP-wise, is to give each player their own, individual experience while still considering the larger, collective body of roleplayers who would participate with each other. There has to exist a central element, which would be the town. How they're going to do it...well, like I said, probably treat the town/area like a central quest object, or series of quest objects. I'd personally like to see factions, PK options, and tiered administration structures with the new town.

Who knows?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Laren
post Feb 10 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

I'm not expecting much from the RP Ghetto. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't see how shoveling everyone who likes to RP into one area will help things. I expect, however, that there will be assisted RP. I imagine Kru will give the elected council of the town, however that works, some tools for RP events. I'm not sure if I completely understand what you mean by "forced RP," but you seem to mean staying in character all the time to the point that it's difficult. I tend to try and remain in character most of the time, and believe just about anything can be RPed, but I don't think anyone should be forced to RP, if that's what you mean.

+Quote Post
Jisong
post Feb 11 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #4

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 169

QUOTE (Laren @ Feb 10 2009, 06:47 PM) *
I'm not expecting much from the RP Ghetto. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't see how shoveling everyone who likes to RP into one area will help things. I expect, however, that there will be assisted RP. I imagine Kru will give the elected council of the town, however that works, some tools for RP events. I'm not sure if I completely understand what you mean by "forced RP," but you seem to mean staying in character all the time to the point that it's difficult. I tend to try and remain in character most of the time, and believe just about anything can be RPed, but I don't think anyone should be forced to RP, if that's what you mean.

No by forced I should have used the words "self induced." Sort of like you're forcing it from yourself ie: having to come up with the roleplay idea. My fault for using the term Forced.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Destyn
post Feb 11 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #5

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 8,817

Don't quote me on it but if I remember correctly, mug said RP would be forced in the RP town. If you didn't, then you wouldn't be allowed to go there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:49 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.