> Your Old Nexus Memories?, Stubbling on random jazz over a dozen years old
Adam
post Aug 23 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #41

Sa san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 574
Characters: Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehovah... And Satan.

QUOTE (Interstate @ Aug 23 2012, 04:31 PM) *
#1. Get a hard drive to USB (USB 3.0 if can) docking station (make sure it does 2.5 inch IDE obviusly)--prob about 50-100$) or 44pin 2.5 inch IDE to 3.5 inch IDE 40 pin cable adapter--prob about 5$.

#2. Plug in and see if drive spins. I'm assuming it doesn't since you said it is "dead"

#3. If drive doesn't spin check that there are two red wires going to the 2.5 inch (most pins are data but there will be a few for power, you'll have the black for ground and the red for DC input). If there is only one red wire leading into it, check the pinout diagram in my previous post, chances are it is the 5 volts to motor. The logic board power input will be the pin above that one. Splice the red wire and add a solid wire (not twisted) to it, wrap it with electricians tape or whatever... then jam the solid spliced end in the correct pin above the other red wire when it is plugged into the device (adapter should hold solid wire relatively firmly against pin, but careful not to bump it if connection is loose cause could corrupt data if lose logic board power suddenly).

#4. Drive still won't spin or adapter already had proper power supplies. Well you have to evaluate the electronics circuit board AND OR the mechanics inside the drive. You kind of need a clean room and special tool sets etc to do the inside of the drive, so first lets determine if anything is even wrong with the circuit board. You can check the board with a multimeter prob the easiest. Turn the multimeter to volts setting stick the black end on the ground of power ground leading into drive, then stick red end next to end motor test points to see if motor is even getting power. Prob motor phase test points and multimeter will give you average from those points.

#5. If motor is getting proper power at the end of the line on the circuit board then it is probably a problem after that point (not always but most likely). Motor may just be seized can try upping the power to it a tiny bit to see if it goes, if not can try spinning it like a Frisbee (people say this jazz I've read it, never had it work or may even damage drive I dunno but might as well try lol).

#6. If motor isn't getting proper power or want to test more, trace back the part numbers on the integrated circuit boards (IC's, they are the little black squares pretty much on the circuit board). Look up their part numbers and pinouts and check their voltage in pins and check each one to make sure they are all getting proper power. If one of them isn't then trace the line to it and see if there is a basic component controlling power to it that is the point of failure.

#7. There are lots of logic components that will decide things but all they really decide is to provide power or not to a path, so you can pretty much just get by with a multimeter to pin point what is going on more or less and to hack around the pathway depending or replace a part depending. The other option is to buy a logic board exactly the same as your hard drive and replace it that way if it is just the board.

My general approach to debugging an unknown point of failure is to--all sides being equal--split it in half. Then I know which side it is on until I isolate its exactly whereabouts. Binary spanning treeish heh
Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to mention that I have a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter cable and that my drive is SATA.

When plugged into my laptop using this cable, I can hear a faint ticking sound at regular intervals (every second, IIRC), which, as I understand, is from platter head(s) failure. Assuming that's the case, it would mean that the drive is getting power and that the problem is with the inner mechanics, correct?

Is there a DIY method to repairing it or do I have to pay the big bucks and send it to a HDD repair center?

--------------------
I'm too legit. Ask your nieces and your nephews, I'm the shhh... Be quiet! Cursing's not allowed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Interstate
post Aug 28 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #42

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,663

QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 23 2012, 06:51 PM) *
Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to mention that I have a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter cable and that my drive is SATA.

When plugged into my laptop using this cable, I can hear a faint ticking sound at regular intervals (every second, IIRC), which, as I understand, is from platter head(s) failure. Assuming that's the case, it would mean that the drive is getting power and that the problem is with the inner mechanics, correct?

Is there a DIY method to repairing it or do I have to pay the big bucks and send it to a HDD repair center?

I wouldn't open up the drive if I were you. Prob better to send it away unless you have a clean room heh. Wouldn't hurt to prob it and make sure proper power is getting through to motor (may be able to fix if that is all it is). Sometimes a component burn out can result in drive getting intermittent power or not enough etc, but yeah most likely going to have to send it away as far as I know >.<

--------------------
Vicious Circle
Hater of haters
Anti-elitist elitist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwL65cvzK0s...feature=related

+Quote Post
Adam
post Aug 29 2012, 04:20 AM
Post #43

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 574
Characters: Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehovah... And Satan.

QUOTE (Interstate @ Aug 28 2012, 09:29 PM) *
I wouldn't open up the drive if I were you. Prob better to send it away unless you have a clean room heh. Wouldn't hurt to prob it and make sure proper power is getting through to motor (may be able to fix if that is all it is). Sometimes a component burn out can result in drive getting intermittent power or not enough etc, but yeah most likely going to have to send it away as far as I know >.<

Yeah, I figured as much.

Thanks anyways, much appreciated.

--------------------
I'm too legit. Ask your nieces and your nephews, I'm the shhh... Be quiet! Cursing's not allowed.

+Quote Post
Xyphon
post Dec 25 2012, 08:46 PM
Post #44

Peasant

Group: Peasants
Member No.: 59,681

QUOTE (Interstate @ Aug 20 2012, 08:27 PM) *

I beat ShinI when I was il san and he was several times my status and almost beat Chongun as well on InTersTaTe (widdled him down to black and he healed out once). I used a few tricks for cornering myself with sleep traps and dart random dart traps under them and LS / Assassinating them over and over in black, attacking them again and again and racing back behind my traps that I could dart trap out of without them touching me. Chongun was smart enough to catch on after a dozen or so attacks, ShinI not so much so. Chongun was InTersTaTe's original spy guide (my second spy).

Xyphon was a fair amount below some of those rogues in status but he ended up making up for the difference in skill and managed to come out ahead of everyone -shrugs-

Man, I remember winning a good number of those duels back then, even after some of the other rogues started to out-hunt me. I still remember becoming a Spy to gain a PK advantage with the extra Ka. Onyon was great for carnages and bloodlusts. Old times...

+Quote Post
Upload
post Feb 25 2013, 11:26 AM
Post #45

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 101
Characters: Upload, others

UGH I wish I had my old screenshots. So many memories gone.

+Quote Post
Foxfire
post Feb 25 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #46

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,761
Characters: Foxfire

Like the one where you stole Enfer/Inkey's sevenleaf from me in the bloodlust hall with the exchange scam when I was a newbie? Good times! tongue.gif

--------------------
~* Nwyfre Foxfire k'Treva *~

Freerice - Feed the hungry, expand your vocabulary.

+Quote Post
Upload
post Feb 25 2013, 07:08 PM
Post #47

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 101
Characters: Upload, others

Everyone makes mistakes, not everyone gets over them. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Interstate
post Jul 2 2013, 02:04 AM
Post #48

Sam san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Upload @ Feb 25 2013, 08:08 PM) *
Everyone makes mistakes, not everyone gets over them. wink.gif

Sometimes people get confused about who is in power and buy into lies because it is just easier than the truth and they think it'll serve them better--seent it many times.

Anyone seen these? Thought I posted them already? Probably my favorite spy event of all time (and I been to them all lol). Brought to you by the greatest elder I ever served under (and I served under them all as well lol)

--------------------
Vicious Circle
Hater of haters
Anti-elitist elitist

+Quote Post
Interstate
post Jul 2 2013, 02:59 AM
Post #49

Sam san
Group Icon

--------------------
Vicious Circle
Hater of haters
Anti-elitist elitist

+Quote Post
Interstate
post Jul 2 2013, 03:01 AM
Post #50

Sam san
Group Icon

--------------------
Vicious Circle
Hater of haters
Anti-elitist elitist

+Quote Post
Interstate
post Jul 2 2013, 03:02 AM
Post #51

Sam san
Group Icon

--------------------
Vicious Circle
Hater of haters
Anti-elitist elitist

+Quote Post
Mazel
post Jul 2 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #52

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 150

I don't get it... is it free the captured elders event?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Jul 2 2013, 09:58 AM
Post #53

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

It was.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mazel
post Jul 2 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #54

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 150

Cool. Sounds fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Songa
post Sep 4 2013, 04:03 PM
Post #55

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 330
Characters: Songa

Best subpath run event in spy, if not nexus, history hands down.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:26 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.