> What Stagnation Looks Like, Data from November '16
Tynan
post Mar 3 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #101

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 12

A "retro" server is the exact opposite direction Kru should go in, as it assumes that Nexus was, from a gameplay perspective, a better game in the past than it is now. To be fair, I have not played Nexus since...2008? 2009?...but I can say with certainty that the game got better in the decade that I played mostly on and sometimes off.

Was 3.0 fun? Undoubtedly. You have no idea how much fun I had finding the secret Boa room in the snake cave and the hours I spent there, running, zapping, and smoking that sweet herb pipe. Or later, leeching people in the Elder Monkey room? Awesome. But, that is just a subjective experience and, objectively, the game was primitive and had minimal content.

The only reason past nostalgia and social bonds that Nexus seemed better in the past is that it actually was, relative to other games, better back then than it is now. When it primarily competed with Ultima Online and EverQuest, it was quite good. Sure, the graphics were primitive and the mechanics simplistic, but really, the others weren't much better. The trouble is, Nexus had the barest of incremental improvements since 4.0, which was the last era, in my opinion, where it was a strong game relative to the market.

Nexon, and later Kru, squandered the vast potential Nexus had by simply not recognizing the changing market, the advancements in other games, and adapting their game and investing in it. There is absolutely no reason the graphics and engine of Nexus could not have supported something approaching the gameplay complexity and engagement of a modern MMORPG, and it is a shame it never did. I loved (and probably still do) the style of Nexus, but the developers did not ever seem to love it as much as other players and I did, and it showed. Minimal updates, recycled events, and lazy, grind-based mechanics that reward nothing but time invested.

Do you know what would bring me back? A complete re-imagining of Nexus rebuilt from the ground up and moved forward, not backward. The basic style and look of the game (minus the atrocious blend of graphics from 3.0/4.0 and later clients) is absolutely fine, but the mechanics built around it - from paths to hunting to crafting and everything in between - are miserable. They do not have to be. The game could have, mechanically, a modern feel and tons to do. It was mentioned earlier how private server versions implemented raids, etc. - yes! This is exactly the stuff Kru should have done and should be doing, as opposed to rolling back a decade of work in the vain pursuit of chasing nostalgia.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Krmit
post Mar 6 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #102

Enchanted

Member No.: 234

QUOTE (Tynan @ Mar 3 2017, 08:42 PM) *
A "retro" server is the exact opposite direction Kru should go in, as it assumes that Nexus was, from a gameplay perspective, a better game in the past than it is now. To be fair, I have not played Nexus since...2008? 2009?...but I can say with certainty that the game got better in the decade that I played mostly on and sometimes off.

Was 3.0 fun? Undoubtedly. You have no idea how much fun I had finding the secret Boa room in the snake cave and the hours I spent there, running, zapping, and smoking that sweet herb pipe. Or later, leeching people in the Elder Monkey room? Awesome. But, that is just a subjective experience and, objectively, the game was primitive and had minimal content.

The only reason past nostalgia and social bonds that Nexus seemed better in the past is that it actually was, relative to other games, better back then than it is now. When it primarily competed with Ultima Online and EverQuest, it was quite good. Sure, the graphics were primitive and the mechanics simplistic, but really, the others weren't much better. The trouble is, Nexus had the barest of incremental improvements since 4.0, which was the last era, in my opinion, where it was a strong game relative to the market.

Nexon, and later Kru, squandered the vast potential Nexus had by simply not recognizing the changing market, the advancements in other games, and adapting their game and investing in it. There is absolutely no reason the graphics and engine of Nexus could not have supported something approaching the gameplay complexity and engagement of a modern MMORPG, and it is a shame it never did. I loved (and probably still do) the style of Nexus, but the developers did not ever seem to love it as much as other players and I did, and it showed. Minimal updates, recycled events, and lazy, grind-based mechanics that reward nothing but time invested.

Do you know what would bring me back? A complete re-imagining of Nexus rebuilt from the ground up and moved forward, not backward. The basic style and look of the game (minus the atrocious blend of graphics from 3.0/4.0 and later clients) is absolutely fine, but the mechanics built around it - from paths to hunting to crafting and everything in between - are miserable. They do not have to be. The game could have, mechanically, a modern feel and tons to do. It was mentioned earlier how private server versions implemented raids, etc. - yes! This is exactly the stuff Kru should have done and should be doing, as opposed to rolling back a decade of work in the vain pursuit of chasing nostalgia.

You made the very valid point of Nexus was a top class game compared to other games of its kind, at that time. So we remember playing the best of the best, now the way the gaming landscape has changed, we hold onto those memories but the quality of game is much different now.

+Quote Post
Mrdie
post Feb 21 2018, 02:07 AM
Post #103

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 208

I know this thread is old, but I agree that I just can't see a retro server being a good idea.

Would it be fun? I think veterans players would check it out, relive a bit of nostalgia, declare "those were the good old days" and continue on with their life. You obviously aren't recreating the same community from 15+ years ago, and Nexus' gameplay is already very limited nowadays, let alone back then.

If I install Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex, Civilization III, or any number of great games from the past, I will have fun with them. If I install then decades from now I will likely still have fun with them. That sort of "eternal" fun factor doesn't apply to MMORPGs which thrive on communities, expanding universes, new things to do and explore, etc.

I know the idea is to build on the "old Nexus" rather than literally sit around pretending it's 2003 (or even earlier) forever, but why deconstruct so much of the game that has been built up since then? The goal, as others have said, is to change Nexus as it currently exists. Nexus back in the day really isn't that different from Nexus now, it just had less features and more primitive music and graphics (albeit with their own charm.)

+Quote Post
halombobtk
post May 27 2019, 08:24 AM
Post #104

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 194,397

TKReborn, a new retro server, has 30+ people (100 concurrent logins this weekend) chomping at the bit to play despite numerous crashes. Subpaths aren't even released yet. Elixirs and carnages have higher turnouts than NTK already. Too early to declare that I was right and all of you were wrong?

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Jun 5 2019, 11:27 PM
Post #105

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

QUOTE (halombobtk @ May 27 2019, 09:24 AM) *
TKReborn, a new retro server, has 30+ people (100 concurrent logins this weekend) chomping at the bit to play despite numerous crashes. Subpaths aren't even released yet. Elixirs and carnages have higher turnouts than NTK already. Too early to declare that I was right and all of you were wrong?

Getting 30 people to download a free to play game isn't hard. The NexusTK Facebook groups have 340 to 695 people in them.

More people play freakin AdventureQuest these days than NexusTK, and I doubt that will change anytime soon because as previously stated the old school Nexus gameplay only worked in a world where lots of people had PCs that couldn't run Everquest so we played NexusTK instead.

Now a cheap smartphone can run better looking mmo games with better gameplay than NexusTK has ever had.

Instead of starting a private server for a crappy game why don't you spend a little more time and make a good game using original art assets that can run on a tablet, using a client that doesn't need to load in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

I mean just go get a cheap Hero Engine license, lock the camera up in birds eye mode and build a game that has similar gameplay as Nexus but uses 3d models and has better graphics and GUI, and actually runs on current OS.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
halombobtk
post Jun 7 2019, 09:17 AM
Post #106

Level 99

No one would play the game you're describing. People are playing TKR because it's extremely similar to the game they remember playing 10+ years ago. Population is now north of 110 as people continue to filter in, and global announcements of people opening mount boxes ($5/pop) occur >5 times a day because people are having enough fun to donate. Subpaths haven't even been released yet.

Of course it's easy to get 30+ people to play - thank you for finally agreeing with the point I've been making this entire ~6 page thread. Feels good, man.

+Quote Post
Xing-Yu Seong
post Jun 7 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #107

Enchanted

Member No.: 2,920

QUOTE (halombobtk @ Jun 7 2019, 09:17 AM) *
No one would play the game you're describing. People are playing TKR because it's extremely similar to the game they remember playing 10+ years ago. Population is now north of 110 as people continue to filter in, and global announcements of people opening mount boxes ($5/pop) occur >5 times a day because people are having enough fun to donate. Subpaths haven't even been released yet.

Of course it's easy to get 30+ people to play - thank you for finally agreeing with the point I've been making this entire ~6 page thread. Feels good, man.

Nice. Not only are you gambling for digital goods, it's digital goods whose assets don't belong to you or the people who you won them from. laugh.gif

I can't even fathom the stupidity of people paying money for loot boxes, but to do it in a TK private server? Just... LOL

I like watching people double-down on their stupid. Feels good, man.

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Jun 7 2019, 07:27 PM
Post #108

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (halombobtk @ Jun 7 2019, 09:17 AM) *
No one would play the game you're describing.

Literally millions of people play other MMOs.

More people play freakin Terraria than NexusTK.

Hell, more people played Mafia Wars on Facebook than have ever played NexusTK.

I'm sure more people have played Graal Online than NexusTK.

Just as more people have played Ragnarok Online than NexusTK. And are playing right now.

Make an original game using current gen game making technology for current operating systems. It's bound to be more popular than NexusTK, and especially more popular than a NexusTK private server.

I mean jesus christ man. You think 100 people playing an MMO is some kind of big deal. Every garbage low effort game on Steam has at least 100 people play it. This is no benchmark of success.

Let us know when you get 100,000 players.

Or, you know, try some of these other MMOs you don't think exist. You'll probably realize why people left NexusTK and aen't ever coming back.

QUOTE (Xing-Yu Seong @ Jun 7 2019, 11:41 AM) *
Nice. Not only are you gambling for digital goods, it's digital goods whose assets don't belong to you or the people who you won them from. laugh.gif

I can't even fathom the stupidity of people paying money for loot boxes, but to do it in a TK private server? Just... LOL

I like watching people double-down on their stupid. Feels good, man.

Yeah that sure is double stupid.

I mean it's dumb enough to still be shoveling money into NexusTK. But to do it in a private server for NexusTK when every server eventually implodes under drama is an extra stupid thing to do.

With a lot of elbow grease, thoughtful design input and effort NexusTK could be great for the current era. But it aen't going to happen until Wony isn't running the show anymore. So it probably will never happen.

You're better off building a spiritual successor game using current gen tech. I might someday do so.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.

+Quote Post
halombobtk
post Jun 7 2019, 10:37 PM
Post #109

Level 99

QUOTE (darkmaverick @ Jun 7 2019, 08:27 PM) *
Literally millions of people play other MMOs.

You're better off building a spiritual successor game using current gen tech. I might someday do so.

Your game will fail. You've never made a successful game like you described when you moved the goalposts to the other end of the Earth, and never will. Why? Because making a successful game is extremely hard and takes an absurd amount of advertising dollars and/or luck. Making a F2P private server reboot of NTK that aims to get 50-100 players is very, very doable and is being proven right now. My argument during this thread is being validated before our eyes, but you're too immature to acknowledge it. All you know how to do is make strawmen arguments like in your last post. Quote me anywhere in the 6 pages of this thread where I said that a rebooted NTK server would pull significant (let's say >1000) players. Don't respond without that quote or I will ignore your post. You have this weird fantasy that you're going to make some hit game, so you exist in a bubble and twist every argument into something that no one's talking about except you. This thread is about creating a TKR server, not a random successful game.

Strawmen arguments are infuriating. You're seriously the worst, DM.

As for the guy who chimed in about "loot boxes" - lol at him not understanding how donations to small private servers work. Jesus, the people in this forum are dumb. Kinda entertaining, kinda sad. The price of a random mount box on TKR is basically the same as the price of a pre-selected mount.

+Quote Post
Alston
post Jun 7 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #110

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,043
Characters: Alston, Dukati... long since dead...

QUOTE (halombobtk @ Jun 7 2019, 08:37 PM) *
Your game will fail. You've never made a successful game like you described when you moved the goalposts to the other end of the Earth, and never will. Why? Because making a successful game is extremely hard and takes an absurd amount of advertising dollars and/or luck. Making a F2P private server reboot of NTK that aims to get 50-100 players is very, very doable and is being proven right now. My argument during this thread is being validated before our eyes, but you're too immature to acknowledge it. All you know how to do is make strawmen arguments like in your last post. Quote me anywhere in the 6 pages of this thread where I said that a rebooted NTK server would pull significant (let's say >1000) players. Don't respond without that quote or I will ignore your post. You have this weird fantasy that you're going to make some hit game, so you exist in a bubble and twist every argument into something that no one's talking about except you. This thread is about creating a TKR server, not a random successful game.

Strawmen arguments are infuriating. You're seriously the worst, DM.

As for the guy who chimed in about "loot boxes" - lol at him not understanding how donations to small private servers work. Jesus, the people in this forum are dumb. Kinda entertaining, kinda sad. The price of a random mount box on TKR is basically the same as the price of a pre-selected mount.

Anyone can make a game that reaches 100+ players. I know several discord rp servers and old-school muds that retain that many simultanious logins. So, no. You haven't proven anything. Get back to us next year.

Also, calling people childish and moronic whilst ignoring the point they're trying to make is highly reflective of your own attitude. "Look at me! I made a private classic server and it has 100 concurrent logins" has been your phrase of the week.

Your statements speak for themselves. Insanity is to further attempt to reason with you.

--------------------
- Alston

Find me on any social media by searching for "FSBAlston" or "AlstonTheWolf."

+Quote Post
Xing-Yu Seong
post Jun 8 2019, 12:14 AM
Post #111

Enchanted

Member No.: 2,920

I played Kaze before it was RG, and I was also involved in RG as well as COM afterwards. I've been behind the scenes and I agree with DM about the personal politics between the devs.

One of the reasons RG failed was that currency dupe glitch that drove Odin up the wall, but the main reason was because no one was in charge. Everyone had their skills, and there were certain focuses they all had, but SOMEONE was more interested in using all their packet knowledge on getting their gibs with their TK spy buddies or currying favors in TK.

CoM was overly complicated and had a ton of great people involved. But more and more people kept showing up in the GM room, and the main two who had started it stepped back. There, people were clearly in charge at first but burn out occurred fast. After subpaths happened, the game kinda waned in direction. By the time rebalancing was taking place, we already had passed the life expectancy and no one really wanted to go forward.

I don't really care what you believe, but it's a known fact that these projects end up not going SOMEONE's way and the passion dies. We're on something like 4th or 5th iteration of the RG template now. There have been upgrades to LUA integration, more dynamic events and replayability. Maybe this one woeks? Who knows. Definitely not you.

As for your point about how donations and gambling work on digital goods for a private server, well that's verifiably incoherent as an argument. Its more likely incompetence attempting to cash in on your nostalgia. Every single speite and the illogically large number of color palettes you can apply to them is as easy a text file or SQL table entry. By all means, go ahead and send them money on things that don't exist in a private server likely to shut down as soon as there's a grudge SOMEONE can't get over and they start over again as something different with new promises that never get fulfilled.

Feels good, man.

+Quote Post
halombobtk
post Jun 8 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #112

Level 99

QUOTE (Xing-Yu Seong @ Jun 8 2019, 12:14 AM) *
By all means, go ahead and donate money to a server that brings you entertainment.

Feels good, man.

FTFY. Are you really not able to understand this concept? I hear what you're saying, but you don't hear what I'm saying at all. I've got disposable income and I want to support this project that brings me immense joy, so I donate. I would donate for nothing in return, but the opportunity to play - so would others.

I'm convinced this forum is filled with completely delusional nerds who all think they're going to create a hit game and it's making you all argue strawmen instead of sticking to the topic of the thread. I'll say this one last time (maybe caps will help?):

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT CREATING A HIT GAME. I'M TALKING ABOUT REBOOTING AN OLD GAME THAT HAD A SMALL COMMUNITY.

None of you thought it could be done. You all said no one would play. People are playing. You all lose. I win. G, [Content removed]ing, G. Go back and read my posts in this thread - if the game only lasts 2 years, I'm still the winner, because we've already discussed that reality. It's tough to make games and keep people engaged. God damn it feels good to win an argument when literally the entire rest of the thread is people hating on you smile.gif

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Jun 8 2019, 11:51 PM
Post #113

Oh san
Group Icon

It's funny how you declare yourself the winner when it's been repeatedly said by most everyone in this thread that a retro server would only appeal to a small number of people, and not enough to actually support the work that goes into running the game.

Which is exactly what happens in every single emulator server. A handful of people playing it, for abit, until [Content removed] implodes and people leave. And with you running this one I honestly can't see that pattern changing.

Reading through the forums it does seem Hijack gave the number as 5-10 but he was being flippant, not literal. His point, as was everyone else's, is that from a business perspective a retro server would not appeal to enough people to be worth the time investment into making and running it. The same amount of time you've spent setting up and admining, and creating new content for your server would be more productive spent doing a lot of other more productive things -- like making an original game with modern graphics for modern gaming operating systems.

I mean let's be really honest here halombobtk. The NexusTK client requires you to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode just to play on Windows 10. That's completely ridiculous considering Windows 10 was released almost 5 years ago, and XP was totally discontinued for Microsoft support four years ago. KRU is not running a serious game company here. The level of incompetance is spectacularly outstanding. Any critical review of NexusTK done today would be like bullying the kid in class who has Down Syndrome. It just lowers you. The fact so many of my brain cells are devoted to storing information related to NexusTK is something to be ashamed of. The only way I can justify it to myself is by using it as a case study of how not to design and run an MMO in a book I've been writing on and off over the years about game design.

There's just SO MUCH that is wrong here that it's almost like a surreal parody of how a game company should operate. If Wony came out one day and said that NexusTK has all been a long term sociology experiment to see just how much abuse customers will take from a business I would totally believe it, because that's the only way any of this [Content removed] makes any sense at all.

The only thing that these private servers have proven some posters wrong about is the idea that additional NexusTK servers would cannibalize the playerbase. That really hasn't been the case, as there has been a few hundred people still sticking to this game for some reason I can't figure out, even though my own brother is engaging in this insanity.

But what has most certainly not been proven is that a retro NexusTK server would attract a lot of people. In fact you've got about as many people on your server as in the official NexusTK server, which nearly everyone including yourself universally agrees sucks and is a failure in the market. So it's quite a contradiction you've created here declaring your server a 'success' when the same numbers make NexusTK a failure.

But we already knew this, because as I said back in 2016 Illutia was a 100% original game that was designed to mimic old school NexusTK gameplay. And it has done extremely poorly in the market.

You believed adamantly that people quit NexusTK because it wasn't as good during its early glory days, and everyone would come back if there was a retro server. Everyone in this thread doubted that would be the case, and you haven't proven otherwise.

I also made this statement in 2016 and it is still true today concerning why people don't play NexusTK, and why some people still do.

It isn't because some people have millions more vita than they do or because people do not sit AFK in Mythic Vale occasionally saging for a party or an item they are selling. They leave because the game is not as fun as other MMOs. It offers nothing of substantial improvement in any particular area. A lot of the people still actively playing are addicts who have serious problems in their personal lives and are avoiding reality for the feeling of elitism, power and community they get from playing the same online game for the past two decades of their life. It isn't healthy and it's certainly not an indicator that a new server is what they want.

Also....

QUOTE (halombobtk @ Jun 7 2019, 11:37 PM) *
Your game will fail. You've never made a successful game like you described when you moved the goalposts to the other end of the Earth, and never will. Why? Because making a successful game is extremely hard and takes an absurd amount of advertising dollars and/or luck. Making a F2P private server reboot of NTK that aims to get 50-100 players is very, very doable and is being proven right now.

.....it is because I know making a successful MMO game is difficult that I haven't done it. I do however in fact have around 800 pages of game system design notes, world building and such which if I wanted to turn into an MMORPG I could do.

Haven't done it, because I am too busy trying to make a different software focused business into a success ( Zenither, a TV Anywhere app ) which is as equally challenging and similarly expensive (so far $1.3M in development costs, and we'll likely spend another $4M before we can get to profitability) as developing an MMO.

I don't spend my time creating a retro NexusTK server that will barely attract 100 people to it because that's not a reasonable thing to do. That's not a productive use of my time.

What is a productive use of my time is developing a TV Anywhere app like Zenither that allows, in addition to carrying others TV channels, for me to run my own TV channels and develop my own original intellectual property into TV shows which can build audiences and eventually be adapted into other media such as videogames, and all but guarantee that hundreds of thousands of people play the games I produce in the future. That's what I've chosen to do, because it's going to lead to the end result I want. It's a longer route but it's an actual well thought out business plan which will lead to being able to make other media such as video games and effectively fund their development and conduct the marketing for them.

Your own mileage may vary.

I could probably have chosen to raise capital and fund an MMO instead of making Zenither, but if Zenither succeeds it will result in being able to have the cash flow and marketing reach to make an unlimited number of games. Putting all my eggs into one MMO basket seemed more risky. So I chose this route instead.

It may very well be that because of the route I chose I will be in a position to purchase KRU when it finally goes on the market, which I think one day is bound to eventually occur. Even if the games are old and the playerbase practically non-existent, it still has some IP value and years of customer information data which could be useful for marketing other games. If the price was reasonable I might buy the company just for the customer data list alone. But as the NexusTK vets still playing the game die IRL and the technology stack doesn't stay relevant to today's operating systems, the opportunity to turn NexusTK around into a MapleStory level of success decreases rapidly. It seems to me a spiritual successor to the game is what will need to be created, if not an outright properly licensed sequel. With sufficient funding it probably wouldn't be too difficult to convince NEXON to license the Baram name to a sequel MMO engine developed by a third party game studio.

It does seem NEXON has somewhat done this already with a mobile MMO game, Baram: Yeon developed by a third party studio called Supercat under license from NEXON. So it's not out of the question.

--------------------

+Quote Post
halombobtk
post Jun 10 2019, 07:10 AM
Post #114

Level 99

And with you running this one I honestly can't see that pattern changing.

I stopped reading after this. I refuse to argue with someone whose reading comprehension skills are so poor that they don't understand I'm a donating player who has nothing to do with the creation or maintenance of TKR. It's amazing how consistently you fail to comprehend what people write, then expect someone to read your messy walls of text.

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Jun 11 2019, 09:09 PM
Post #115

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (halombobtk @ Jun 10 2019, 08:10 AM) *
I stopped reading after this. I refuse to argue with someone whose reading comprehension skills are so poor that they don't understand I'm a donating player who has nothing to do with the creation or maintenance of TKR. It's amazing how consistently you fail to comprehend what people write, then expect someone to read your messy walls of text.

Then why the heck are you so adamantly defending it then and declaring yourself the "victor" in things?

Jesus christ.

Also the whole "I stopped reading thing", pretty sure nobody believes. It's just that you don't have any good answers to the points I make. And that's okay, because I'm not expecting you to have any.

The "glory days" of NexusTK were possible due to the time period and state of competitor MMOs.

*NexusTK was the only anime inspired MMO for its time period.

*The player-ran subpaths and clans / militias created drama and rivalries.

*The PVP events in Carnages and elixers created drama and rivalries.

*The limited hunting ground rooms in mythic dungeons created drama and rivalries.

*There was a huge aspect of mystery to the game, with players trying to figure out how to complete quests like Wind armor and Staff of the Elements, which it turned out were unfinished quests that couldn't be completed until Eldridge finished them.

As better MMORPGs were released that offered better gameplay and still had opportunities for drama and rivalries to form, and goals that were actually achievable because the quests were not part implemented into the game in unfinished states, players left NexusTK for those games and other new gamers looking to get into MMOs gravitated toward the better, more popular games.

NexusTK today is arguably a better game than it was during its "glory days" since now all Warrior and Rogue paths have a rage / cunning spell, and there are more than just 12 dungeons with only 3 or 4 huntable rooms in the end-game. The cash shop items mitigate some of the dumber aspects of the game, like break on death items and having to travel to different zones to sell your XP to buy stats. But NexusTK still is nowhere near as fun to play as say Final Fantasy XIV or World of Warcraft, or even Ragnarok Online. RO better delivers an old-school MMO experience than NexusTK does, because RO is at least balanced and well thought out. NexusTK is a mess of bad design choices.

As it stands right now substantial parts of NexusTK need to be completely redesigned to make it competitive in the market. I'd say at least half of the dungeons need to be either removed or totally redesigned, as many dungeons now just have no real purpose since the experience rewards aren't as good as other dungeons are, and some dungeons just never did have good xp rewards to begin with (Woodlands is a good example).

NexusTK, like WoW and FFXIV, needs a reboot, another Great Shift event where all the maps and dungeons get redesigned, and some of the core parts of classes are redesigned. I just don't see it occurring under Wony's management of the game. He doesn't know how to do it and he cannot afford the designers who know how to do it. I and a few other veteran players I can think of might be able to do it, but we have no incentive to do it. Most of us are more successful in other careers we've fallen into to ever want to deal with NexusTK for Wony.

It'd be easier to make a new game, a spiritual successor or sequel to NexusTK, than to fix NexusTK. It isn't just design problems but technology problems with the server and client that also need addressing, and while it certainly can be done it's a lot of work for unclear gain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hijack
post Jun 11 2019, 10:32 PM
Post #116

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,705

Edit: God dammit [Content removed] it.

Good luck with zenither. I can't tell what is different about it and pluto.tv. Also stop being so passive aggressive on your reviews on play store. It looks really pathetic to tell someone to "look closer". Take it as constructive feedback to make your options clearer.

+Quote Post
halombobtk
post Jun 11 2019, 11:15 PM
Post #117

Level 99

If I've done anything in the 6 pages of this thread, it's establish the fact that I have zero idea what goes into coding a game. That you would think I'm one of the creators of TKR is un[Content removed]ingbelievable and shows how wildly poor your reading comprehension and critical thinking skills are. You truly are in your own strange little bubble, where you ignore all context and make labored arguments that only make sense against whatever dreamt up adversary is part of your inner monologue.

+Quote Post
Mrdie
post Jun 13 2019, 04:34 AM
Post #118

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 208

At the end of the day, if you enjoy working on a private NexusTK server and can get around 100 people to play on it who are having a fun time, I don't see the harm. But I don't think it justifies declaring that all of us were wrong, since you still have to surpass the "actual" NexusTK in terms of avoiding stagnation and growing the community.

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Jun 13 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #119

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Hijack @ Jun 11 2019, 10:32 PM) *
Edit: God dammit [Content removed] it.

Good luck with zenither. I can't tell what is different about it and pluto.tv.

Some of the features Pluto doesn't have that Zenither does.

1. We have Search, so you can search for films, stations and shows.

2. You can scroll back on the channel guide timeline and watch episodes released earlier in the day without needing to DVR.

3. We have Station pages you can follow, and can be accessed by clicking on the Station logo from the channel guide timeline or by searching for them.

4. When you follow a station any newly released content will be available from the activity feed page, kind of like Facebook's activity feed page.

5. We have integrated merchandise stores for stations, so you can buy t-shirts, dvds, etc related to the show you are watching directly from the apps without leaving it.

6. We have commenting and live chat on episodes.

7. We also have a proprietary ad system that eliminates any chance of getting malware and doesn't load third party websites when you engage with the ad, instead emailing you an offer from the advertiser which you can look at later after you're done watching the program.

8. We can support scheduling of live streams into the channel guide timeline to make it easier for viewers to find live shows as they would with regular TV channels. I'm not talking about the simulcast stations here but having a channel that has a mix of prerecord and live programming. None of our stations are using this feature atm though.

9. We also have patents on all of this stuff as it pertains to our system.

Admittedly we could do a better job of explaining some of these features to our users inside the app using some indicators in the GUI the first time you load it up, instead of having the explanations on a help file accessed within the bottom menu. The indicators haven't been added yet because we're still adding some new features, and my intent was to add them later after all the features were implemented, but some of the technical challenges are taking longer to work out than expected.

--------------------

+Quote Post
halombobtk
post Jun 14 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #120

Level 99

Since I imagine it must be difficult/capital intensive to get good content for your platform, is the goal just to get bought? If so, by whom? We certainly live in strange times when it comes to entertainment. Six different apps on my phone to watch sports and none of them work well. It's like the one thing nowadays that no one seems to be able to get right. Will Alphabet/YouTube inevitably win as Gen Z grows up?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:53 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.