> Overkill Damage
PureLight
post Apr 10 2007, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Il san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 257

I termed the new warrior ability "Overkill damage" because through the VERY limited testing I have performed I have determined that it is just the damage you do OVER the damage needed to kill. So for the rest of the post I will refer to it as such.

CODE

_O
OTO
_O

T=Target hit by the attack
O=Creature effected by Overkill

Overkill damage is dealt in that if and only if T is killed by certain vita attacks.
The vita attacks currently known to cause overkill are.
Slash, Berserk, Whirlwind, Townie, Rend, Siege, Kamikaze, Throwing Axe, and Focused blade
(Focused blade has been confirmed as a bug and Mug has announced that it will be reverted during the next reset)

Since the only ranged attack that deals overkill damage is Throwing axe the most common attacks will look like this:
CODE

_O
OTO
_W

W=Warrior(assumed since all overkill damage is done by Warrior spells although it can be any class).
T=Target hit by attack capable of producing Overkill.
O=Targets effected by Overkill.
In my Limited testing experience, this is how Overkill works:
Damage dealt by this ability is (D-V)/N
D=Damage dealt by the vita attack
V=Target's vita
N=Number of enemies aground the first

That's a brief explanation of how overkill works. I am currently looking to do some testing to figure out how the damage is distributed, if anyone is willing to help me test it whisper PureLight in game or send me a PM on the forums.

PureLight

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PureLight
post Apr 10 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #2

Il san
Group Icon

As far as this goes I believe that the overkill damage works something like this a Warrior has a WW that deals 100,000 to AC 0 no spells. The warrior deals enough damage to kill the main target, then 20% of the damage leftover is dealt to any animal adjacent to the one killed.

Here is my theory for a formula:
({ (D)-[(V)*[(100*TS)/(100+TAC)] }*.2)*(100+OAC/100*OS)

D=Damage done by vita attack against AC=0 (Can be calculated Here)
V=Target creature's vita
TS=Target's sanctuary value (1 if no sanc, no sleep, .7 if doze no sanc, .5 if sleep no sanc, 2 if sanc no sleep, 1.7 sanc+doze 1.5 sanc+sleep)
TAC= Target Armor Class
OAC= Overkill target AC
OS=Overkill target sanctuary value (1 if no sanc, no sleep, .7 if doze no sanc, .5 if sleep no sanc, 2 if sanc no sleep, 1.7 sanc+doze 1.5 sanc+sleep)

I'm relatively certain the formula is correct, what happens is you would deal so much to AC=0. Instead of calculating AC for the target the Target's Vita is modified to fit how hard they are to kill (to avoid a third AC and sanc conversion). The remaining power of the attack is then taken down by 20% and then the AC of the Second target is applied to the remaining damage. This is because each Overkill target applies their own AC and Sanctuary modifiers to the attack

Here are a few examples of how it works:
A warrior with a Whirlwind that deals 100,000 damage to AC=0 no sanc no sleep. To a target with 5,000 50 AC No sanctuary and has sleep. The second target has -85 AC, and Sanctuary.

({(100,000)-[(5,000)*[(100*.5)/(100+50)]}*.2)*((100-85)/(100*2))
(100,000-5000*(50/150))*.2
100,000-15000=85,000(So the Target took away 15,000 damage credits(points of damage to AC0)
85,000*.2=17,000(if we left OAC at 0 this is what would be dealt)
17,000*[(100-85)/(100*2)]=1275

Damage dealt to Second target 1275.

Against a truly weak opponent essentially no Vita, and an opponent at 100ac with sanctuary.
({(100,000)-[(0)*[(100*1)/(100+0)] }*.2)*(100+100/100*2)
100,000*.2*(200/200)= 20,000(20% of damage because killed creature had 0 vita)
According to Ixeus' Nexus Calculators a 100,000 attack against the same opponent deals 100,000 damage, meaning that overflow is 20% of damage in excess of killing the first opponent.

PureLight

P.S.
Credit goes to Tynan for figuring out the actual formula, all I did was apply how sanctuary,AC and sleep affect the formula.
Tynan explained best it for people who like numbers less than I do on the Comm board with this:
Overflow Damage = (Damage Done - Damage Needed)*0.2

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Tynan
post Apr 11 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #3

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 12

It is 20%, not 40%. Trust me. smile.gif

Also, overkilled enemies DO give experience, even when not touched previously.

As I said, read my Comm post. It has the formula, though I did not bother including all of the AC parts and such in the formula (most people get scared by that stuff).

+Quote Post
PureLight
post Apr 11 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #4

Il san
Group Icon

Thanks for the corrections, sorry about that. For some reason when I was reading Nexus Atlas's main page this
In essence, if your vitality attack kills an enemy, and does so in a matter of 'overkill', any damage left over is split by 60%, then divided into the remaining creatures around that creature.
looked like it meant that 40% of first damage is given to all enemies. I am sorry about that, and I just wanted to set up a full equation that factored in AC, Sanc and Doze. I found the post before the FAQ post and didn't see your formula.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Mirado
post Aug 17 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #5

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 146

All the testing I've done shows that it's just:

((damage leftover)*.05)/(number of creatures hit)

So, basically, any extra damage dealt gets a 5% increase and is split evenly among all targets hit.

I've tested this with one target being overflowed onto, and with two, same results.

Though it's possible overflow has changed since it's inception.

+Quote Post
LeXington
post Sep 26 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #6

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,989
Characters: Sanguis, LeXington, Pagan, Hwarang

QUOTE(Mirado @ Aug 17 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]38845[/snapback]

((damage leftover)*.05)/(number of creatures hit)

So, basically, any extra damage dealt gets a 5% increase and is split evenly among all targets hit.

Erm, if it's 5% increase in damage shouldn't the formula be

((damage leftover)*1.05)/(number of creatures hit))

???

--------------------
Abyssus abyssum invocat~!

+Quote Post
Mirado
post Sep 26 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #7

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 146

Well, it's really the same thing... Your formula shows total damage after increase, mine shows just the increase. =p

But yes, to be most user/newbie friendly, I suppose your formula would be less confusing.

+Quote Post
PureLight
post Sep 27 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #8

Il san
Group Icon

Sorry this thread is outdated, the first formula was correct for a while, It's probable that they changed how it works.

PL

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Tynan
post Oct 7 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #9

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 12

QUOTE(PureLight @ Sep 27 2007, 08:57 AM) [snapback]41144[/snapback]

Sorry this thread is outdated, the first formula was correct for a while, It's probable that they changed how it works.

PL

Aye, it changed many times until settling down to what it currently is about...oh, a month after it was introduced.

Its first incarnation was highly useless for most, but highly exploitable for "clever" people. This is the one where the overflow damage was simply 20% of the leftover, applied in every direction whether a target was there or not. I will not get into it, but suffice to say, the way the initial damage was calculated and then transferred to different creatures was wonky.

The current incarnation is a logical split (100% leftover damage if one overflow target, 50% to each if two, etc.) that correctly factors out AC and pertinent effects before factoring them back in. This is not exploitable, as far as I know, and also is highly useful due to there being virtually no wasted damage thanks to a logical split.

It did go through a few changes at first, though. Its multiplier before the split was 1.15, meaning overflow damage got a 15% bonus before being applied. This number was changed a bunch and, last I checked 3-4 months ago, is about 1.05, which is still a 5% bonus, for whatever reason. It may be different now, but I have not had a chance to check and do not even really want to. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:04 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.