post Jul 6 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #1

Sam san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 37
Characters: PyroAce

http://www.nexusbio.org (Stable Site)
http://www.nexusbio.org/testbed/ (New Design! Testbed! Blee!)

Nexus Biographies... seriously it just will not give up.

A couple of revisions ago I said I was going back to basics and completely redesigning the site and how it works. I was a dirty liar, this is how you redo the site.

I won't talk to much about the new testing site (I do that at length on the News page). Instead I'll just refer to some stuff already brought up in this thread.

Can you please add an option to see all the stories? (not just each letter)

I answered this with a post linking to the Nexus Biographies archive. I helped this guy out sure but for the main users of the site, something like this might have been a little hard to find. Nexus Biographies is all about the stories and there has got to be an easy way to get to them. The new site defaults to taking you to the story listings which includes links to every single story on the site.

I love that this is back. I need to find my old biography..

Biographies used to be posted on the Inquiring Minds board in the libraries. I'd love to work with you on your project, Dritz, because I am going to start posting biographies on the Inquiring Minds board again - something every so often, maybe to the best biography. I'd love to see more.

I'm still interested in stuff like this. As the new version progresses I'm going to add some tools for myself to quickly and easily add new stories. So shouldn't be to much effort to convert some of the stuff out there on the Nexus boards.

Not having the use of the back button is driving me crazy.

The current version of the testbed will allow you to do that with no problem! I am too attached to teh pretty to abandon AJAX completely though. Future revisions will allow you to switch between dynamic and static versions of the site. Maybe something in between that will still have some nice effects but also load pages individually.

A very nice looking sub navigation menu on each story page should get rid of the need for the back button anyways! But I'm all about choices. Definitely something to think about.

--- Old Stuff 09-05-08 ---

This new post is not to announce new support for the site or anything. I have pretty much moved on from Nexus Biographies although if I get some stories sent my way I would not be adverse to putting them on the site. As some people ( ohmy.gif ) noticed the site has been down for quite sometime. I just now fixed it up so it would once again display (although I assume there will be some errors).

Nexus Biographies is really showing it's age since I'm used to working with friendlier sites now. It's funny because I thought the most recent version of the site was genius and so easy to work with just a few years ago smile.gif.

Anyways since people do seem to care about the site I'm glad to announce it is back up and hope that peoples send me stories or at the very least enjoy what is already there.

--- Old Stuff ---

Nexus Biographies the little site that could has been updated once again. This time I give you not another style but rather a new way to browse the site. If anyone has been around the site for the past week or so and has been using Cerulean than there is a good chance you've already seen this feature in action.

As I said for the past week or so this feature has been implemented but only in a few different spots. Basically through the use of AJAX I have been able to speed up the site considerably. Pretty much all the links on the site will now present you with a small loading message and in a few seconds whatever you requested will be presented to you without reloading the entire page.

It's a little tough to explain but the fact that you do not have to reload the page every time you click a link should speak for itself. If you use the Foliage style you will notice a significant difference in load times.

One thing I should note is that not all browsers support AJAX (think GMail) and if yours doesn't you will still get to use the old way of doing things. The site automatically detects if you support AJAX and adjusts according. I think it's also worth mentioning that as long as your browser supports AJAX you won't be shot down for using some obscure browser. Since I'm not dealing with very complex tasks (such as GMail) there really is no need for me to discriminate browsers.

I'd like to close with a tip for everyone. If you are on a slow connection I suggest you use the Foliage style since it is probably the least image heavy of all styles and load times will be much faster. I can't really tell since I'm on a fast connection but I will say that under Foliage my loads are nearly instantaneous. If you have a fast connection bask in the glory of Cerulean. Or you could just choose whatever you want wink.gif.

-Previous post 06-12-01-

Rather than making a new thread I figured I'd just colour over this one wink.gif.

Anyways I would like to announce the release of the latest style for Nexus Biographies, Cerulean The style joins three others (Tangerine, Avalanche, and Foliage). Unlike the other styles this one doesn't really have a colour scheme but rather goes for an organic look. If anything I suppose it's blueish (hence it's title).

To change your style just visit the site at http://www.nexusbio.org and hover over the styles options. If this is your first time visiting Nexus Biographies your default style will be Cerulean.

Hopefully this update adds an option that will be pleasing for everyone.

As for future updates I do plan on adding a Christmas style (basically a red and green skin of Cerulean). I will also be adding AJAX compatibility to Cerulean. For those of you who don't know what AJAX is you really don't need to know, it'll just make the site a lot faster. A similar update will be given to the other styles as well.

Also since this is the affiliate forum if you want to become affiliated with Nexus Biographies please add this banner to your site.

As for becoming affiliated with Nexus Atlas I do not currently have a proper banner. I'll make one eventually unless someone cares to do one for me.

This post has been edited by Dritz: Jun 21 2010, 09:41 PM

--------------------
There I was
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George
post Jul 9 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 138

Can you please add an option to see all the stories? (not just each letter)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Dritz
post Jul 9 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #3

Sam san
Group Icon

You are looking for the Archive.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
George
post Jul 10 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #4

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 138

Oh, no dang - awesome, thanks.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
AceoStar
post Jul 10 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #5

Oh san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 2
Characters: AceoStar

linked

--------------------
AceoStar, Imperial Guard of Buya.

Put www.StatAddict.com in your profile to track your stats today!

Learn to keep up

Errr, NF is filtered at work these days, I'll be checking the forums a lot less often.

+Quote Post
Dritz
post Jul 21 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Sam san
Group Icon

Thanks for the link Aceostar.

Development on the new versions (making them 100%) has pretty much come to a stand still and I've been struck with inspiration to make yet another style. Yes rather than actually finish off all the quirks in Tangerine and Avalanche, I've added to my workload yet another.

Foliage is the latest in the styles and like Tangerine and Avalanche is completely it's own style (not a skin of one of the other two).

Once you click the Foliage link up there you will have to go here to see the effect. Alternatively you can use the style menu to select Foliage.

Anyways if anyone finds any bugs please post here. Also if anyone wants to send in a story please PM me.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
Jolie
post Jul 30 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #7

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 525

I love that this is back. I need to find my old biography..

Biographies used to be posted on the Inquiring Minds board in the libraries. I'd love to work with you on your project, Dritz, because I am going to start posting biographies on the Inquiring Minds board again - something every so often, maybe to the best biography. I'd love to see more.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Dritz
post Jul 30 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #8

Sam san
Group Icon

I can help you with whatever you need wink.gif.

Just a note though I use the term Biographies very loosely in terms of most of the content on the site. It's fairly rare that you'll find an actual Biography up there. I simply see any story about someones life as being part of their Biography rather than having one big story on a person's whole life.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
Dritz
post Dec 2 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #9

Sam san
Group Icon

Just a bit of a bump to the thread to announce the release of a new style, Cerulean. Check out the first post for info.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Dec 7 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #10

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Retired Administrator
Member No.: 3

Dritz, ask koinu to make a button for you if you want to be a NA affiliate. He'll need your input so it can be what you want.

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
AceoStar
post Dec 8 2006, 04:07 PM
Post #11

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 2
Characters: AceoStar

much better layout smile.gif

--------------------
AceoStar, Imperial Guard of Buya.

Put www.StatAddict.com in your profile to track your stats today!

Learn to keep up

Errr, NF is filtered at work these days, I'll be checking the forums a lot less often.

+Quote Post
Dritz
post Dec 24 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #12

Sam san
Group Icon

Just another bump to announce the release of Nexus Biographies AX. No it's not another style but a complete overhaul of how Nexus Biographies loads pages.

On the subject of my affiliate banner I'll get one done eventually wink.gif.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
Dritz
post Dec 24 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #13

Sam san
Group Icon

Hmm best banner I could make. I'm not used to deal with the constrains of other peoples designs.

IPB Image

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
Dritz
post May 8 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #14

Sam san
Group Icon

I updated the first post. The site has been down for sometime and I just put it back up.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
Falaris
post May 9 2009, 11:16 AM
Post #15

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

Not having the use of the back button is driving me crazy.

-Falaris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dritz
post May 10 2009, 01:20 AM
Post #16

Sam san
Group Icon

Was on an AJAX kick when the site was made... still on one I guess since my other site is also all AJAX. If I can think of a relatively easy way to turn it on and off that'll work with the ancient design I'll do it. A quick fix would be to probably put my breadcrumb navigation at the top of every page in addition to where it is on the side (and disappears every now and again for some reason since I removed story polls). Wouldn't fix the problem but would alleviate some issues.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post May 10 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #17

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Retired Administrator
Member No.: 3

Sorry I forgot about this - added the button to affiliates today.

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
Dritz
post May 10 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #18

Sam san
Group Icon

Thanks... just might motivate me to work on the site. Lots to wade through though.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
Dritz
post Jun 21 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #19

Sam san
Group Icon

http://www.nexusbio.org/testbed/ (new design)

Alrighty so Nexus Biographies is back again, again. I updated the OP with some sparse info. For the OP update I really wanted to address the issues brought up in this thread so far.

It is amazing to think that post was made in 2006 and the last major revision around 2007. I think the site launched in August 2002 (maybe earlier) and has gone through about 12 different versions (wow). The site has uhh evolved (?) over those many years. I'm not sure what it evolved into but when I decided to revisit it (once again) I knew I had to redo everything.

I've learned a lot since moving on to Chongun Haven (shameless plug). Even after I started work on CH I had every intention to maintain Nexus Bios but it just became a pain.

The most important goal for me with this new version of Nexus Biographies is to focus on the stories. It is what the site is all about after all. So now the main page is the story page and it lists every story. Easily getting to stories from the main page was not the only problem with the last site. Going to another story from another story page was needlessly painful. Now there is a nice little sub navigation menu at the top that'll get you to any story you want with little trouble.

Right now I got the new version of the site in a little area I like to call the 'testbed'. The main site is still up and running. The testbed is were you all can get a little preview and maybe help diagnose some bugs in the new version. It is also not done yet. I wanted to get this new site to you guys as soon as possible. My only goal in delivering this to you was having the core functionality (viewing stories) for users available.

Both cosmetic and functional stuff is coming soon. First I'm adding some stuff for myself so I can easily add stories and such.

So let me know what you think!

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
Skum
post Jun 22 2010, 07:01 AM
Post #20

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,163
Characters: Skum

It looks great! I don't know if I've ever stumbled on it before. I've always wondered if there was some sort of Archive sites for the scrolls...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:21 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.