Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Nexus Dead?
Darkfox
post Feb 5 2016, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Level 5

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 12,793

Hey guys, I know probably barely anyone remembers me but I played the living crap out of this game a long time ago on my character "Koner".

I remade Koner as a Mage in about 2012 and even then, the community felt fragmented and a ghost of its former self.

Looking on Nexusforums now, I see most recent posts from weeks, months, even YEARS ago. I remember when these forums were popping off.

Nexusatlas has one, maybe two newsworthy events per month. I think there was a month where I saw the current news was empty.

Anyway, I had a weird urge to start playing again out of the blue, but I was set back because it seems like there are only 100-200 active players online at any one time.

Is Nexus dead? Waiting to die? Going to keep being hosted until the Earth spirals into the sun? Is there actual decent content in the pipeline? What are the most active subpaths/clans? When I say active I don't mean 10 people including everyone's alt. I could have sworn that you needed 100 active players to have a clan at one time; is that true? When I rejoined the KRA in 2012 I think there was like 4 people in it that actually logged on.

I'm sure this topic has been posted 100 million times before and I doubt I'll be the last to create it but I just wanted some hardcore holdouts to chime in and let me know if anyone gives even the slightest fart about this game?

Forever yours,
- Koner
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brant
post Feb 5 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Sa san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 921

Yes, it's on life support, [Content removed]ting itself and there are a few people left (Archons) who monitor the feeding tubes and clean up the [Content removed].

+Quote Post
Qwertyer
post Feb 5 2016, 11:20 PM
Post #3

Enchanted

Member No.: 1,218

I play every day and am having more fun now with the PK and lixer/FH than I did back in the day. The community hosted events are less frequent but the game is still very much alive. It's what you make of it.

+Quote Post
Ace
post Feb 6 2016, 10:25 AM
Post #4

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 220

I've been coming back twice a year at Christmas time and anniversary time. It varies, sometimes there are a fair few people on and I actually have some fun. Sometimes it's pretty dead and I just log back out and try again later.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank.

+Quote Post
Nacostradamuss
post Feb 8 2016, 03:24 AM
Post #5

Level 99

Member No.: 89,790

Is Nexus Dead?

Yes

--------------------

+Quote Post
ShiKago
post Feb 9 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Level 99

Member No.: 128
Characters: ShiKago..StriGoi

I sadly co-sign all those statements that say the game is dead. Sorry.

+Quote Post
Mazel
post Feb 10 2016, 07:07 AM
Post #7

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (Qwertyer)
It's too late, Mazel.

I still have fun sometimes. Elixirs/PK events can be great sometimes, and we had some new events at the end of last year. Nothing new for a month or so, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
YanDaMan
post Feb 10 2016, 02:31 PM
Post #8

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 184
Characters: YanDaMan, YanTheMan

Ded game. It's only a matter of time.

--------------------
lol @ u

+Quote Post
Vini
post Feb 12 2016, 02:00 AM
Post #9

Head Editor of Nexus Atlas
Group Icon

Group: Head Administrator
Member No.: 21
Characters: Vini

Nexus is very much alive. Sorry to inform you guys who were cheering for it to be dead. And it will hopefully continue to be alive for a long time.

I can't understand why some people still care if a game they claim to dislike is dead or alive anymore. Only ones who should worry about it are people who are still playing, still registered and still having fun in Nexus TK.

--------------------
~Vini Normad'or~

+Quote Post
SilentNights
post Feb 12 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #10

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 231
Characters: SilentNights

It is, yes. Is it what it was? No. Is it what it could be? No. But it is. That's gotta count for something right?

SN

+Quote Post
Musoyan
post Feb 12 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #11

Exasperating
Group Icon

Member No.: 543
Characters: Musoyen

QUOTE (Vini @ Feb 12 2016, 02:00 AM) *
Nexus is very much alive. Sorry to inform you guys who were cheering for it to be dead. And it will hopefully continue to be alive for a long time.

I can't understand why some people still care if a game they claim to dislike is dead or alive anymore. Only ones who should worry about it are people who are still playing, still registered and still having fun in Nexus TK.

You are quite the character. I see you're post on NA criticizing NexusTK has now been quickly edited to be in their favor. I wonder what made you change your mind so fast?

No one is cheering for the game to be dead. But it is. There is no growth. The population is slowly declining. NTK has gone so downhill not even the Indos care about it anymore. It's currently Friday and NA shows 50 users online.

I know you would like to say it is still alive and well because you want to protect your position in the game, but let's be honest. Quit the bull[Content removed]. I don't know anyone who is "having fun" playing NTK. When was the last time you actually played it instead of just logging in and walking around and doing work for your positions? Because that is all I remember of you from five years ago and I doubt anything has changed. You stopped playing the game a long time ago too.

+Quote Post
Brant
post Feb 12 2016, 04:44 PM
Post #12

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 921

QUOTE (Musoyan @ Feb 12 2016, 07:55 AM) *
You are quite the character. I see you're post on NA criticizing NexusAtlas has now been quickly edited to be in their favor. I wonder what made you change your mind so fast?

No one is cheering for the game to be dead. But it is. There is no growth. The population is slowly declining. NTK has gone so downhill not even the Indos care about it anymore. It's currently Friday and NA shows 50 users online.

I know you would like to say it is still alive and well because you want to protect your position in the game, but let's be honest. Quit the bull[Content removed]. I don't know anyone who is "having fun" playing NTK. When was the last time you actually played it instead of just logging in and walking around and doing work for your positions? Because that is all I remember of you from five years ago and I doubt anything has changed. You stopped playing the game a long time ago too.

I get the impression that some people come back to play, they'll wrangle up their friends and have these conversations about how they're going do this and that with the game, implement this here or there, but after a few months, it all just goes silent.

Most people don't have enough interest to stick with the game. Same thing goes with Subpaths. There are so many people who play for a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months, then just disappear.

Sure Vini is chipper now, but in a few months after the updates from the patch last night become stale, it just goes back to being dead. Then Christmas, or a recycled event rolls around and people might register for a month, but the overall population is still on the decline.

Especially now since KRU effectively broke a majority of the bots, at least the ones that were programmed to read off of packets from the game, the black market is dead, hardly anyone even hunts, and if they do, it's with a select group of people they hunt with every day.

So yes, the game is dead. The only way to bring it back at this point would be to make it free to play and hope that people gain some interest.

+Quote Post
Vini
post Feb 12 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE (Musoyan @ Feb 12 2016, 06:55 AM) *
You are quite the character. I see you're post on NA criticizing NexusTK has now been quickly edited to be in their favor. I wonder what made you change your mind so fast?

You don't need to wonder what "change my mind so fast". I'lll tell you what changed. They fixed all the problems listed on that previous news, they added a whole new event, not a recycled one, they did a new patch and pretty much showed that they haven't abandoned Nexus at all.
Stein didn't pull that out in two days, he has been clearly working on things for the game during this whole time, and probably is doing alone. I also saw how he was awake and working at 2am PST because he wanted to fix bugs and make the game work properly for people. So if you are wondering why I "changed my mind" this is the answer: it was the fair thing to do, to recognize the efforts they've done and recognize that the main problem was the lack of communication.
The original post is still there, because the situation that was presented to us players wasn't good when I decided to post it and yes, I did consult with some people who really care for the game before I posted it.

QUOTE (Musoyan @ Feb 12 2016, 06:55 AM) *

You're quite deluded Musoyen. First of all, I could careless for protecting a "position" in the game. That's completely pointless. Second, I do have a lot of fun in Nexus, every day.

--------------------
~Vini Normad'or~

+Quote Post
WereWulf
post Feb 13 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #14

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 306
Characters: Don't mess up the tables!

People have a hard time understanding fun is what you make of it and to some Nexus is still a blast. I envy those that still play nexus and love it. I truly wish it went free to play but that's for an entire different thread.

--------------------
Did you ever notice how in the Bible, when ever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel?

+Quote Post
Musoyan
post Feb 13 2016, 11:15 AM
Post #15

Exasperating
Group Icon

Member No.: 543
Characters: Musoyen

QUOTE (Vini @ Feb 12 2016, 07:39 PM) *
You don't need to wonder what "change my mind so fast". I'lll tell you what changed. They fixed all the problems listed on that previous news, they added a whole new event, not a recycled one, they did a new patch and pretty much showed that they haven't abandoned Nexus at all.
Stein didn't pull that out in two days, he has been clearly working on things for the game during this whole time, and probably is doing alone. I also saw how he was awake and working at 2am PST because he wanted to fix bugs and make the game work properly for people. So if you are wondering why I "changed my mind" this is the answer: it was the fair thing to do, to recognize the efforts they've done and recognize that the main problem was the lack of communication.
The original post is still there, because the situation that was presented to us players wasn't good when I decided to post it and yes, I did consult with some people who really care for the game before I posted it.

You're quite deluded Musoyen. First of all, I could careless for protecting a "position" in the game. That's completely pointless. Second, I do have a lot of fun in Nexus, every day.

They throw you some crumbs and all of a sudden you are content and happy again.

I guess when you already have low standards for what a game should be, this would be seen as acceptable. This new event is no different than any of the past recycled garbage events, they all have the same concept and all end the same. [Content removed], another event with a legend mark as a reward. Yay. I wonder which player is writing the events these days? It seems not much has changed.

I don't see one patch every couple of years as "dedication" (as your latest post says). If you are happy paying $10 a month to be [Content removed]ed in the ass time and time again, then by all means, keep enjoying it, but to lambaste people who have obvious issue with this as "cheering for the game to be dead" then you are the one who is clearly deluded.

+Quote Post
Darkfox
post Feb 13 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #16

Level 5

Member No.: 12,793

QUOTE (Vini @ Feb 12 2016, 02:00 AM) *

This is actually a fairly relevant point when it comes to a game you have to pay $10 per month just to play. The fact alone that Kru locks you in Tangun and holds the key until you register is beyond sad. The original system allowed players to at least engage with the community. That way they could see; "wow, wouldn't it be cool to be a real part of this game where everyone is having fun," and ultimately end up registering themselves. Even as registered/daily online numbers drop to catastrophic lows, Kru seems to arrogantly stand by this area that showcases the worst the game has to offer.

Furthermore, I would like to comment on how hypocritical this statement is based on your recent post to NexusAtlas. You can't have the strongest Fan Site cannibalizing the game from within. Between the protest demanding more content and the more recent obituary post, all I can say is, "why would anyone want to re-reg based on that?" I understand what it's like to be frustrated with something you have no control over but don't go two-facing about it. Either stay strong and be a pillar of the community or stay quiet about it because otherwise you're just part of the problem.

QUOTE (Brant @ Feb 12 2016, 04:44 PM) *
I get the impression that some people come back to play, they'll wrangle up their friends and have these conversations about how they're going do this and that with the game, implement this here or there, but after a few months, it all just goes silent.

Most people don't have enough interest to stick with the game. Same thing goes with Subpaths. There are so many people who play for a few weeks, maybe even a couple of months, then just disappear.

This is the most troubling point and is exactly how I felt when I came back for a stint in 2012. That's why I was asking (and if someone could PLEASE shed some light on this, I would appreciate it) what are the most active clans and subpaths? Are there any clans where I will regularly be able to find 10+ people online at any given moment? If the answer to that is no then I think I likely have the answer to all my questions.

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Feb 14 2016, 05:11 AM
Post #17

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

QUOTE (Musoyan @ Feb 13 2016, 12:15 PM) *
They throw you some crumbs and all of a sudden you are content and happy again.

Exactly.

"Oh boy, they added a Valentine's day event so you can earn a....permanent herb pipe! And new animations for when we are AFK! Everything is great again!"

Who gives a rats [Content removed]ing ass? Seriously, when KRU addresses all the goddamn problems with the game that lead to over 90% of its userbase to flee for other games, then you should be happy. I stopped paying a long time ago, but those of you who have kept subscriptions and buying KRUNA all these years...you should feel angry as hell that your loyalty as customers has been rewarded with zilch that addresses the problems you rant about, but aren't willing to take meaningful action to force KRU to address.

You think Stern spent months making this event? All the bugs imply that wasn't the case. It doesn't take months to write code, it takes months to playtest code and make sure it doesn't bug the [Content removed] out of everything. They obviously didn't do that. I've enough experience as a project manager now to realize how little effort KRU actually puts into quality assurance, and how they half-ass their development. A test server that is a mirror-copy of the live server data clearly isn't being used, or if it is it's being used incompetently.

And worse, it doesn't matter because in the end it's garbage content that does not make the game more fun to play.

The fact that KRU's response to a dwindling playerbase is to devote resources to making more animations when players are AFK shows they have no idea how to make the game fun to play. It's kind of ironic that the content of their "biggest patch ever" can only be triggered when you aren't actively playing the game.

Meanwhile I'll be over at Final Fantasy XIV having fun with a game that actually solves its bugs, doesn't heavily penalize my character based on the whims of some self-appointed police force, can start a guild without needing to endure a long political process that ultimately serves to protect the power of those in power, and gets regular patch updates to tweak the gameplay to address class balance issues that lead to the game being more fun to play.

I'm only checking these forums because I'm waiting for an announcement of KRU going bankrupt. Depending on what I'm doing at the time, I might be tempted to try to buy the asset bearing that KRU has actually kept good records of every user who has ever registered. A couple meaningful changes (including switching to a F2P micro-transaction model and development of a mobile client) and a strong email outreach campaign and I think a lot of old players would come back

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
Vini
post Feb 16 2016, 01:22 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

QUOTE (darkmaverick @ Feb 14 2016, 03:11 AM) *
Meanwhile I'll be over at Final Fantasy XIV having fun with a game that actually solves its bugs [....]

I totally respect that you enjoy Final Fantasy XIV. It has better graphics, better hunting and PVP gameplay, but if you like that so much why come back here?

Back in 2006 or 2007, sometime around that I got VERY upset with the way KRU handled a bug that affected me and I decided to quit Nexus. For 6 months I played World of Warfcraft, was fun, I was very interested in the PVP, hunting, crafting, alliance vs horde thing and I enjoyed the game a lot, until I realized it was all but a simulacrum. Nothing we did there would ever influence the story of the game, because they game was built in a way it will never allow to be a true RPG, you just play there by a set of many combinations of possibilities just like any other online game, just like a Call of Duty online, in example. Hence why I eventually grew tired of it and when Mug fixed the problem and apologized for the lack of care the staff support had, I ended coming back to Nexus.

The whole point is: I liked World of Warcraft, but NEVER since I left I went back there to their forums to talk bad of the game and try to convince people to move away from it.

So if you guys like so much other games, stay there and by all means, have fun! But don't come here just to talk bad of a game/community which many of us still enjoy and still want to see it growing. I know Nexus is far from being perfect, but we at least are trying to help. I do try to send a lot of ideas for in game and outside of game business-wise, and despite they ignore it most of the times, the few times they do listen make the whole effort worth it. laugh.gif

--------------------
~Vini Normad'or~

+Quote Post
Vini
post Feb 16 2016, 01:38 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

QUOTE (Darkfox @ Feb 13 2016, 04:31 PM) *
This is actually a fairly relevant point when it comes to a game you have to pay $10 per month just to play.

I agree with you Darkfox, but you said it all: when it comes to a game that people pay $10 per month just to play. My point is that some people who gave up playing and paying Nexus and left many ago still come back here to talk bad of it.

Looks like someone who broke up with an ex-girlfriend but still stalks her and keeps going to her social media to talk bad of her so no one else will want to date her. Seriously? If they hate KRU and Nexus so much get over it. I don`t hate KRU at all and especially don't hate Nexus. My post on Nexus Atlas was a legit complaint of a CURRENT customer who was concerned about the lack of update and communication that had happened, but gladly was solved for now.

Another thing
When you think $10 per month is A LOT, try to think on this:
How many work minutes does it take for you to earn $10 to pay nexus vs. how many hours of entertainment and gameplay does the game give you monthly? For me it's very ridiculous difference and I think for most people too, hence why some people have multiple accounts now.

I used to play Nexus when US dollar conversion to my currency was about 4 to 1, meaning I was paying around 40-45 to play Nexus monthly and I never cried about it.

10 bucks is 2 bottles of beer, or sometimes 1 if you are in a bar and you consider tips. Therefore what gives you more joy HOURS of joy? 1 beer or one month of RPG online? For me I like being able to buy multiple beers while still playing Nexus.

But does this mean I'm against making Nexus a F2P game? Heck no! I would love to see Nexus F2P mostly because it would save me some little cash while would attract much more players to come join our community.

--------------------
~Vini Normad'or~

+Quote Post
Laren
post Feb 16 2016, 04:33 AM
Post #20

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

There's still a sandbox there and you can play in it, and you might be able to have some fun and briefly energize the few tired souls left trying to make it a viable game, but effectively, yes, it's dead. Or at least it's in hospice care, with KRU only giving it the basic necessities for survival and maybe a cake on special occasions, with a few old friends visiting to check on it.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:05 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.