IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would You Collectivley Buy Nexus?, How much would you "donate" for a bid?
Could the playerbase make an offer for Nexus?
How much would you "donate" for a bid?
$0 [ 8 ] ** [20.00%]
$10 [ 4 ] ** [10.00%]
$25 [ 3 ] ** [7.50%]
$50 [ 6 ] ** [15.00%]
$100 [ 6 ] ** [15.00%]
$200 [ 6 ] ** [15.00%]
$500+ (specify) [ 7 ] ** [17.50%]
Total Votes: 40
Guests cannot vote 
Coolboyman
post Aug 2 2010, 04:19 AM
Post #21

Sam san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 65

I have $5,000 saved up, but nothing to spend it on... hmmmmmm....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
solman
post Aug 2 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #22

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 104

Depends on who I would go with and the price and so forth and just how much of a saying I would have in the game, but i could donate 10k+. Would need to be able to throw some of my ideas to make TK more profitable and smoother tho. But at this current venture, id rather TK be ruined and out of biz. But that is only cause of the way Kru runs it and does their biz practices.

--------------------
Time to do the naked Pee Pee dance.

+Quote Post
Winder
post Aug 3 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #23

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 8
Characters: Winder

Realistically you have to assume nexus is making AT LEAST 1000 x 12 x 15 dollars in revenue (not profit) per year (I figure people spend on average 5 a month on Kruna -Most spend nothing, and then there are crazies who spend like 50 tongue.gif). There are definitely at least 1000 accounts left in order to have 300 people online most of the time. Keep in mind this is a low estimate.

Typically an offer for an asset that is experiencing either no (or negative) growth would go for 2-3x yearly revenues (around 180,000). Kru would be stupid to take an offer under 500,000 for Nexus.

Therefore, in this case DM is right, it would be far more cost-effective to make a new game. You can pretty much copy 90% of Nexus (in terms of ideas, how you make the game look, storyline, etc.) because the game is based on Korean history, which everyone has free reign over and copyrights don't protect generic things such as plate mail, war axes, and earning karma for good deeds... lol

--------------------
"He who stands against the Horde,
shall stand no more" - Winder, The Merciless.
Those who share my blood and stand with Honor
and Courage, only they may call me brother.

QUOTE (darkmaverick @ Aug 8 2010, 03:29 AM) *
Well, I guess I'm wrong then.

+Quote Post
Auxy
post Aug 3 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #24

Level 99

Group: Banished
Member No.: 8,800

id buy nexus and make mug the gm again!!!

+Quote Post
Winder
post Aug 3 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #25

Ee san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Auxy @ Aug 4 2010, 12:18 AM) *
id buy nexus and make mug the gm again!!!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Rachel's trigger-happy modding, where did it go sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 4 2010, 02:55 AM
Post #26

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

QUOTE (Winder @ Aug 3 2010, 10:25 PM) *
You can pretty much copy 90% of Nexus (in terms of ideas, how you make the game look, storyline, etc.) because the game is based on Korean history, which everyone has free reign over and copyrights don't protect generic things such as plate mail, war axes, and earning karma for good deeds... lol

You can do more than that. You can copy every game mechanic to the letter.

Game mechanics cannot be copyrighted. In some cases they can be patented, but it'll only hold up in court if you're the first person to come up with that type of mechanic. NexusTK's game mechanics are very heavily derived from Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, so I'm pretty sure Nexon can't patent them.

And even if they did have one, it would have expired by now.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Aug 4 2010, 06:03 AM
Post #27

Oh san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 85
Characters: Rachel

QUOTE (Winder @ Aug 3 2010, 10:25 PM) *
AT LEAST 1000 x 12 x 15 dollars in revenue (not profit) per year (I figure people spend on average 5 a month on Kruna -Most spend nothing, and then there are crazies who spend like 50 tongue.gif). There are definitely at least 1000 accounts left in order to have 300 people online most of the time. Keep in mind this is a low estimate.

I made a quick (very) count of the user pages, it showed about 2610 characters. That means at least 650 accounts. I wouldn't think more than 10% of players wouldn't have a user page at all, so I would guess around 725 registered accounts currently.

Even though a lot of Kruna gets spent, you have to remember they give out lots of free kruna too. Are there seriously people paying $50 a month, every month? I wouldn't think many.

Then there are people who come and go, or sometimes let their registrations lapse for a few days.

If you did 725 x 11.8 x 12.5, you're down to 107,000. (And dropping..) But we really have no idea.

QUOTE (Winder @ Aug 3 2010, 11:49 PM) *
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss Rachel's trigger-happy modding, where did it go sad.gif

Clearly, I can't win. dry.gif

--------------------
Work continues on the continuation of the Story

+Quote Post
Winder
post Aug 4 2010, 07:18 AM
Post #28

Ee san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rachel @ Aug 4 2010, 07:03 AM) *
I made a quick (very) count of the user pages, it showed about 2610 characters. That means at least 650 accounts. I wouldn't think more than 10% of players wouldn't have a user page at all, so I would guess around 725 registered accounts currently.

Even though a lot of Kruna gets spent, you have to remember they give out lots of free kruna too. Are there seriously people paying $50 a month, every month? I wouldn't think many.

Then there are people who come and go, or sometimes let their registrations lapse for a few days.

If you did 725 x 11.8 x 12.5, you're down to 107,000. (And dropping..) But we really have no idea.

Clearly, I can't win. dry.gif

I'm pretty sure you could still make a game similar to Nexus for less than you could buy it, even if Nexus was only worth 200-300,000 tongue.gif (There's really no point in arguing how many accounts are left haha)

--------------------

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 4 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #29

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Winder @ Aug 4 2010, 07:18 AM) *
I'm pretty sure you could still make a game similar to Nexus for less than you could buy it, even if Nexus was only worth 200-300,000 tongue.gif (There's really no point in arguing how many accounts are left haha)

You definitely could.

http://www.bigworldindie.com/index/index.php

Indie license is 299$ annual fee and 10% royalty on gross earnings, and you just need to keep below 10k subscribers (i.e. Nexus).

Get some of the uber talented pixel artists of Nexus together to make original graphics and uber talented programmers, and you have the building blocks to make your own Nexus clone. It'd probably be a more reliable server, too. And you can have particle effects for special attacks, lighting, maps, etc. Go one step further and get some people who know 3D Studio Max and Maya (they are dime a dozen these days; hell, I'm taking a class this fall) and do the graphics in 3D.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.

+Quote Post
Winder
post Aug 4 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #30

Ee san
Group Icon

QUOTE (darkmaverick @ Aug 4 2010, 01:15 PM) *
You definitely could.

http://www.bigworldindie.com/index/index.php

Indie license is 299$ annual fee and 10% royalty on gross earnings, and you just need to keep below 10k subscribers (i.e. Nexus).

Get some of the uber talented pixel artists of Nexus together to make original graphics and uber talented programmers, and you have the building blocks to make your own Nexus clone. It'd probably be a more reliable server, too. And you can have particle effects for special attacks, lighting, maps, etc. Go one step further and get some people who know 3D Studio Max and Maya (they are dime a dozen these days; hell, I'm taking a class this fall) and do the graphics in 3D.

This isn't really appropriate for what we would be trying to do. You could make a game that "looks" like Nexus, but it would not play similarly to Nexus in any way shape or form. There are a lot of tools out there for doing this sort of thing, most of them free, but BigWorldIndie wouldn't fit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 4 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #31

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Winder @ Aug 4 2010, 03:21 PM) *
This isn't really appropriate for what we would be trying to do. You could make a game that "looks" like Nexus, but it would not play similarly to Nexus in any way shape or form. There are a lot of tools out there for doing this sort of thing, most of them free, but BigWorldIndie wouldn't fit.

Uh, what? You could make it play similar to Nexus, even if it was 3D. Just make the camera always look from an overhead bird's eye view. You can also make it so the game doesn't require "locking on" targets, and character movement is controlled with the directional pad and you use spacebar / a to melee attack, and spells from the 1-0 keys. Attempts to attack look for if there is any NPCs occupying a space, which can be narrowed down to whatever is right in front of the character. If you want to be particularly anal you can make it so characters only move in straight lines, never diagonal.

I mean, really. Nexus combat is basically just Zelda with AD&D armor class for character defense, some special skills that consume a % of a resource and deal damage by a % of a resource, and cooldowns on attacks (which is just "attack cannot be used until x seconds have passed"). Any game engine can do that. You could build Nexus in freakin Game Maker, even (though it wouldn't be able to support a lot of players).

And if "other free tools" you mean something like Playerworlds, think again. You might as well build your own game engine. Last I knew it's not exactly stable and can't support a lot of online players.

But really, if you're gonna invest into making your own game, you should reach for something a little higher than Nexus-style gameplay.

Personally, I would make something either like Atlantica Online but with Romancing SaGa party chain combo attacks and a FFT Job system, -OR- something City of Heroes-ish but based in my Deathfist Ninja GKaiser world (so players in supergroups can, for example, build their own Voltron to roll around town fighting giant robots with, and fewer powersets to keep things better balanced but huge emphasis on customizing what the powers look like so any concept character can be created).

A fantasy ancient Korea themed MMORPG is all over the market because most MMORPGs come from South Korea and they are obsessed with sticking their historical culture into everything. The only reason I'd ever want to make something like that would be to show KRU how it should be done. Otherwise I think it'd be harder to market the game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Winder
post Aug 4 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #32

Ee san
Group Icon

QUOTE (darkmaverick @ Aug 4 2010, 06:31 PM) *
Uh, what? You could make it play similar to Nexus, even if it was 3D. Just make the camera always look from an overhead bird's eye view. You can also make it so the game doesn't require "locking on" targets, and character movement is controlled with the directional pad and you use spacebar / a to melee attack, and spells from the 1-0 keys. Attempts to attack look for if there is any NPCs occupying a space, which can be narrowed down to whatever is right in front of the character.

I mean, really. Nexus combat is basically just Zelda with AD&D armor class for character defense, some special skills that consume a % of a resource and deal damage by a % of a resource, and cooldowns on attacks (which is just "attack cannot be used until x seconds have passed"). Any game engine can do that.

And if "other free tools" you mean something like Playerworlds, think again. You might as well build your own game engine. Last I knew it's not exactly stable and can't support a lot of online players.

But really, if you're gonna invest into making your own game, you should reach for something a little higher than Nexus-style gameplay.

I am referring more to open source game engines or toolkits to build your own engine more quickly. BigWorldIndie's constraints for non-commercial projects would truly make it difficult to make a similar game and make it successful. The limitations go beyond even the shoddy NexusScript tongue.gif

Also, I always considered 2D one of the things that made Nexus different, but that point is more personal preference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 4 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #33

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Winder @ Aug 4 2010, 05:45 PM) *
I am referring more to open source game engines or toolkits to build your own engine more quickly. BigWorldIndie's constraints for non-commercial projects would truly make it difficult to make a similar game and make it successful. The limitations go beyond even the shoddy NexusScript tongue.gif

Also, I always considered 2D one of the things that made Nexus different, but that point is more personal preference.

Don't get me wrong, I tend to prefer 2D, too. But 3D has the advantage of being easy to make content for. 2D requires an artist to literally draw every frame. 3D only requires someone to make a model that can be outfitted with animation rigs and easily skinned. The content is much more reusable and this makes it much easier to make new clothing / weapons and have them look different, and allow players to customize their characters appearance in ways that would take months of work for a 2D artist team to do. You can also make small adjustments to a character's animation to let them do a wide variety of anything without needing to completely redraw every frame for every possible clothing combination.

If I had a successful company with the ability to hire dozens of artist, I would make a 2D game. Just starting out I would make a 3D game because it's faster and easier to make content for.

Anyway, if someone wanted to use that engine they'd need to know Python. You can see screenshots of the builder here

http://mmorpgmaker.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph...113&t=10152

--------------------

+Quote Post
SungKen
post Aug 5 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #34

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 152

up to 10,000 USD. ONLY if I had a reasonable chunk of running the game, preferably the advertising side.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Laren
post Aug 7 2010, 04:54 AM
Post #35

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

Would I help to COLLECTIVELY buy Nexus? Hell no. There's no way the new "owners" of the game could agree on priorities or what direction to take the game in. It would be a clusterf%$#. That said, if I had a few extra millions of dollars lying around, I might personally buy it.

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 7 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #36

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Laren @ Aug 7 2010, 04:54 AM) *
Would I help to COLLECTIVELY buy Nexus? Hell no. There's no way the new "owners" of the game could agree on priorities or what direction to take the game in. It would be a clusterf%$#. That said, if I had a few extra millions of dollars lying around, I might personally buy it.

You haven't read the whole thread, have you?

Depending on how a company was setup, everyone wouldn't have to agree on everything. They would simply need to agree to vote on important issues.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alston
post Aug 7 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #37

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,043
Characters: Alston, Dukati... long since dead...

QUOTE (darkmaverick @ Aug 4 2010, 03:51 PM) *
If I had a successful company with the ability to hire dozens of artist, I would make a 2D game.

Just find a lot of volunteers that would help build one.

Lots of game mods out there (several turning into successful franchises of their own) started with a gang of volunteers.

Once you get popular enough, launch it as a product and start reimbursing your volunteers with the profits.... time well invested.

--------------------
- Alston

Find me on any social media by searching for "FSBAlston" or "AlstonTheWolf."

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 7 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #38

Oh san
Group Icon

Volunteer projects are very hard to organize over the internet without having massive breakdown of egos and communication, or people simply deciding to do something else with their free time like play WoW. I'm speaking from experience here.

It's not impossible, but you can certainly make life easier on yourself by making the game 3D instead of 2D because it cuts down the amount of time people are expected to spend creating free art content. If you want to take on the monumental task of creating an MMORPG then you should try to make development go as efficiently as possible so the project actually gets completed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doctor
post Aug 7 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #39

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 127

Or you could just create a private server of nexus and funnel subscriptions through a laundering service totally unrelated to the game and get away with it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 7 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #40

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Doctor @ Aug 7 2010, 03:53 PM) *
Or you could just create a private server of nexus and funnel subscriptions through a laundering service totally unrelated to the game and get away with it!

I think it's now impossible to get away with any crime committed over the internet. The trail is too easy to find.

NEXON might turn a blind eye to a severely low population private server of Baram that isn't for profit. They won't turn a blind eye if they find out it's for profit.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:53 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.