IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Profanity Filter
Shouler there be a Profanity Filter option?
Should there be an option to show or not show Profanity?
Yes [ 55 ] ** [84.62%]
No [ 10 ] ** [15.38%]
Total Votes: 65
Guests cannot vote 
Toshimaru
post Apr 12 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #1

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 207

Quite simple, this is a nice debate going on through the game. Some people say there should be and others say there shouldn't be. I think there should be a profanity filter option, cause Its just a normal thing for me to do.

--------------------
I don't care about your forum but I'm lurking anyway.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Choucatzin
post Apr 13 2007, 01:27 AM
Post #2

Enchanted

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 1,171

They lease the rights to the game from Nexon, which means they're probably legally obligated to uphold Nexon Korea's standards of public image. Even if they could code an optional filter, the nature of their relationship with the real game developers probably prevents them from implementing it.

+Quote Post
Unknown
post Apr 13 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #3

Level 99

Member No.: 1,422
Characters: Unknown

Ill play if you can swear lol.

Fighting for fun since 1984.

--------------------
The Unknown, happens.

+Quote Post
Corath
post Apr 13 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #4

Sam san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 31
Characters: Corath, Halanna, Aemon, CorJr

Since the beginning of most games, there's been debates like this. In WoW, they have a profanity filter that masks profanity, putting it like #$%% and so on. But, they still police profanity for people who turn it off. Personally, it takes a lot for me to get offended by profanity - usually only with something very extreme - so I think that if you turn the filter off, you shouldn't be able to report people for what would be filtered. However, in the words of some of the WoW GMs, they use this analogy: "Because you wear a kevlar vest, does that allow people to go around shooting?"

--------------------
I play World of Warcraft. Thrall-NA server, Horde faction.

Corath's Blog - randomness about World of Warcraft and beyond.

+Quote Post
PIEMINISTER
post Apr 13 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #5

Sa san
Group Icon

Group: Banished
Member No.: 531

I really think profanity should be illegal by Nexus law, and I hope it remains as a main foundation for the nexus justice system. It's nice to have that regulative deterrance set in place, it forces people to get out of the habbit of wording vulgarities that often lessen the social standing of individuals.

I think the big problem though is that there is no real precedent set with the cases of Nexus, so not everyone is completely concious of what classifies and what doesn't classify as profane. There needs to be some sort of hard definition set in place by the justice system, that is fair by the majorities standards.

+Quote Post
Rhianwyn
post Apr 14 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #6

Level 99

Member No.: 381

The biggest reason I think a filter should be optional is simple: there's always at least one way to go around it, and let everyone know exactly what you're saying. Because there will always be someone who gets offended when they see profanity, they'd simply turn the filter on -- those who want to see themselves cursing, however, would leave the filter off and wouldn't (usually) feel the need to circumvent it.

Yes, there are people who'll go around the filter in every game, even when the filter is optional (seen it far too much to think otherwise), but being able to see what they're saying without it being filtered out would drastically reduce the cases where one who WANTS to have it all filtered ends up reading profanity.

If the filter WAS optional, however, I wouldn't want to see people being prosecuted for cursing unless they DID deliberately go around the filter. And I'd prefer to see **** or ---- or #&*! instead of "dog", "girl", "maid", etc.

~Rhi

+Quote Post
Doctor
post Apr 14 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #7

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 127

They should make it like so many other games.

Just like toggling whispers, or listening to advice, be able to toggle your filter aswell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Henry
post Apr 15 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #8

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 25

Yes, I really think the profanity laws need to be done away with. As it stands, maybe ONE out of about 20 profanity reportings on the justice board are because people were actually offended. The other ones are just griefing(which happens to be the main use of justice these days).

+Quote Post
Gilley
post Apr 19 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #9

Enchanted

Member No.: 733

I agree with Biofo. It's a waste of time and our justice system. Give us the option to turn it on and off. The only problem I could see remaining would be those newbs that love to stand at NGate Buya and cuss at people. Of course, if it's not a big deal that might stop as well. We need to concentrate on the real derelicts.

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Apr 21 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #10

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

An optional filter should be one of the highest priorities at KRU. My thoughts echo Rhianwyn's... people get around because they want to say the curse. If they did not have to get around it, the filter could do its job for those who don't wish to see that, and the people who don't care can leave it off.

Not only that, but how many people would not be ruined by justice for one time losing their temper? The profanity laws are weak and how many people have gotten away while others do not, dependent on how the judge feels that day? I will be the first to admit I've gotten away with minor cursing. I did not ask for that (I thought the case was weak as I said I would ram something up someone's... rear), but the judge wound up saying "Since this isn't a huge offense, this is a warning." Another judge might have jailed someone for that.

-Falaris

--------------------

+Quote Post
TediAvenger
post Apr 21 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #11

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 88
Characters: TediAvenger

I'm not a big fan of the filter, but not only because of the fact that it is used to abuse the justice system. Some of the words filtered out are simply absurd!

password = soul
You will be banished = soul
butthole = nuthole
pimple = spotle

Really, who calls someone a pimp as an insult!

YOU PIMP! tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mercenary
post Apr 21 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #12

Level 99

Member No.: 2,239

I believe that the profanity filter should be optional for those who take offense to it..

+Quote Post
DEREKSMART
post Apr 27 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #13

Enchanted

Member No.: 471

QUOTE(Corath @ Apr 13 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]31290[/snapback]

However, in the words of some of the WoW GMs, they use this analogy: "Because you wear a kevlar vest, does that allow people to go around shooting?"

ahaha oh man, hilarity always ensues when ignoramuses attempt and fail miserably at an application of logic

+Quote Post
George
post Apr 28 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #14

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 138

What what what is with the profanity obsession? Do you understand why you are so obsessed with cursing people? Black magic using fiends!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Apr 30 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #15

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 85
Characters: Rachel

These movements are [Content removed] stupid. In what way is not being able to say a word hurting your gameplay experience? In what way is working on developing a filter going to be better than having them working on quests, expansions, or other updates?

The only complaint about the system is that people only report people that they don't know or don't like. People get used to not being reported then get shocked the one time they get in trouble for it. Tough [Content removed]; you should have been arrested EVERY single time because that's the [Content removed] rule, like it or not.

How hard is it to communicate without cursing or to censor yourself? How much does it hurt you? Half of you probably read each of the sentences above a couple times to see which curse or form of the curses fit best into the "[Content removed]"s above. I curse, but not in Nexus and not here. I manually had to type "[Content removed]" each time I've used it in this post since Admins aren't filtered. It was difficult, but somehow I managed.

People have been talking about this [Content removed] for years. They're never going to change it for any reason. Ever. Stop breaking the rules in the game and stop breaking them here. If you do, expect to be punished. Don't consider it a punishment for cursing; consider it a punishment for general stupidity.

--------------------
Work continues on the continuation of the Story

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Apr 30 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #16

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Retired Administrator
Member No.: 3

I once had an English teach who said that you have to use profanity then you have a lack of imagination. She was absolutely right! How many of you have read Worldwalker's famous posts? There is a real wordsmith! WW can make a much stronger argument or point without even coming close to a curse word. Learn to use the incredible flexibility of the English language. If you can't then it shows how lazy you are!

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
stabme
post Apr 30 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #17

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 66

I see my two pence were thrown out. I didn't even curse in my post. :/

--------------------
IMEDIAT: I am the Lixir! I speak for the Wars!
I no longer Elixir or draw Imediat. I now help make music free for all: Grooveshark

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Apr 30 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #18

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 85
Characters: Rachel

If you can't say something in the game, don't say it here. If you were arrested or warned for what you said and you post it here, it will be removed.

--------------------
Work continues on the continuation of the Story

+Quote Post
LaoNeen
post May 1 2007, 01:00 AM
Post #19

Enchanted

Member No.: 16
Characters: LaoNeen(poet), ChuiSao(warrior), DolSu(mage)

The problem with the way that cursing in game is handled (through jailing) is that it is very discouraging to people who are potential or already PAYING CUSTOMERS. It would be understandable if the punishment for abusive cursing were a fifteen-minute time-out, but throwing the player in a small room for two hours and then giving them a mark that keeps them from participating in community events is a sure-fire way to ruin their gaming experience and possibly get them to quit (which translates into KRU losing real world MONEY).

+Quote Post
Lucifer
post May 1 2007, 03:11 AM
Post #20

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 549
Characters: Lucifer

QUOTE(Rachel @ Apr 30 2007, 07:31 AM) [snapback]32802[/snapback]

These movements are [Content removed] stupid. In what way is not being able to say a word hurting your gameplay experience?

How hard is it to communicate without cursing or to censor yourself? How much does it hurt you?

In what way does saying a word hurt someone else's gameplay experience?

Throughout my life I have been under the assumption that we have a freedom of speech.
Obviously that freedom does not have a place on the internet so long as there are armchair editors who can decide on a whim (and without repercussion) to arbitrarily censor other people, which happens all too often on these forums whenever the discussions stray too far away from the usual topics of "I love mug!" and "When is sa san coming out?".

The only time you allow a controversy-prone topic to continue is if Conro is the topic creator; an example being the whole Carnage Host debacle a few months back. Whenever anyone else creates or adds to such threads, they are closely monitored until a frivolous reason is found to delete posts and lock the topic.

QUOTE(Rachel @ Apr 30 2007, 07:31 AM) [snapback]32802[/snapback]

Don't consider it a punishment for cursing; consider it a punishment for general stupidity.

I wish there was a punishment for such condescension

I do not see how using colloquial diction makes a person "stupid", and I certainly do not see why they should be punished for their word choice. As LaoNeen said, the justice system is making people QUIT. No one wants to constantly worry about being reported by some sniveling internet nanny and losing years of work because they choose to use PG-rated words that even the FCC does not censor.

QUOTE(AllyGator @ Apr 30 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]32813[/snapback]

I once had an English teach who said that you have to use profanity then you have a lack of imagination. She was absolutely right! How many of you have read Worldwalker's famous posts? There is a real wordsmith! WW can make a much stronger argument or point without even coming close to a curse word. Learn to use the incredible flexibility of the English language. If you can't then it shows how lazy you are!

Vulgar language exists in every culture, dialect, and diction. Some feelings are best expressed through profanity and other shock words -- why else would such words exist? Using Shakespearean synonyms in place of modern slang does not make the message any more "imaginative". If no one can understand what you are saying because you choose to use diction from the 1600's or from Pre-Law text books, then language has failed.

--------------------
IPB Image
questionable image deleted

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:40 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.