Guests cannot vote 
Mrdie
post Apr 10 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Il san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 208

The old topic is quite dated, so here's a new one.

I pick 2017 'cause why not.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Apr 10 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #2

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

I know some people are going to think this sounds crazy, but I'm hoping the game limps along for awhile longer. If I make as much money running http://www.martelltv.com/ as I believe I will, I would actually be interested in buying the game from KRU if they did decide to sell their IP off because the finances don't make sense to them anymore. It has a good community, and I think the brand has more potential than what KRU did with it (there really should have been some spinoff comics, or at least a flash web series).

I know that's putting the horse before the cart, but there it is. I still believe I could turn this game around if a series of changes were made. It might not compete with World of Warcraft, but I think it could support at least 100k-200k users. But it definitely needs a lot of work, and marketing.

Fortunately I'd own a TV network, so the marketing would actually be a minor issue. The bigger issue is that it needs a dramatic update to the client and server code, which probably means I'd need to work out some kind of special deal with NEXON to build either a specialized fork of it or something completely brand new that merely uses the graphics and branding. It'd need to be able to go into the mobile market; I think Nexus would work for the tablet gaming crowd, which is necessary if it wants to keep attracting the younger crowd.

I think it'd be worth it to keep the world and its virtual history going, but it'd definitely be a pet project.

Worse case scenario, KRU shuts down before I get enough money and I just make a spiritual successor that isn't beholden to the antiquated client and server code, and has none of the design flaws of NexusTK.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
Songa
post Apr 10 2013, 08:35 PM
Post #3

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 330
Characters: Songa

People have been speculating for years when Nexus will finally end. The truth is that KRU gets a lot of money from the game with very little work put into it. It is basically like a cash cow for them at this point. People who've played for years will continue to play for as long as the game is running.

The fact of the matter is that people want a 2D MMORPG. I recently have tried to find another 2D MMORPG to play and found most of the games to be lacking considerably. I am unable to find a game that matches Nexus' community and roleplay potential. (at least, how it was "back in the day.") There is something nostalgic about Nexus, something about the game that brings back memories of a fun game. But now, unfortunately, that has changed. I recently came back to the game and then shortly left because while it still holds that nostalgia of making friends and having a blast, most of the friends are gone and the community is lacking. You used to be able to log in and have a number of events to attend to, people whispering you for various things, and generally be able to make your own fun. Now it's a challenge. Now you are faced with boards with the same thing written on them for weeks and the same afk people everyday. Sure, there's the occasional event that happens and the rare group of people who are still active and fun. (Shaman! biggrin.gif) But most of what used to be is dust in the wind. I cannot justify paying ten dollars for maybe something interesting happen if I'm lucky. Being a college student who relies on financial aid for everything, ten dollars is a lot of money for a game that I don't enjoy playing anymore.

The best (and sometimes worst) thing about Nexus is the community. You can play however you want, cause havoc or fun for people, and (sometimes but this was more in Yuri 40-60s lol) change the history of the game. That is what people are holding on to. The idea that you can be a part of something and change it (for better or for worse) however you want. You make great friends, even greater enemies, and have fun doing it. Unfortunately, that era of the game is dead and gone. People are basically beating a dead horse at this point.

There are things fundamentally wrong with the game that people have been crying about for years. The downfall, and upside, of the game is it's community. It's why people keep playing and why people quit. The flaw in it is that the players have too much control. If you know the right people, you can make someone's gameplay miserable.

While I love the community aspect of the game, I hope that it dies. I hope that it doesn't succeed because the company doesn't seem to care anymore. Even though you could argue to death about the things in the past that were wrong, the company seemed to care a little more then they do now.

Personally I have taken a lot from the game and regret a lot from it as well. But the past is the past and I'm moving on. I hope to one day make a 2D MMORPG that the community ultimately decides the fate of. (In terms of how they play. For example, if the majority of people choose option x in an event, then option x will happen. (like the bad guy winning.)) I started working on one this past year, and it will be years until I'm able to even get it running. But I'm going to do it and I'm taking the lessons I've learned from Nexus with me.

Join me, mortals!
[evil cackle]

+Quote Post
Mazel
post Apr 10 2013, 09:14 PM
Post #4

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (Songa @ Apr 10 2013, 09:35 PM) *
Personally I have taken a lot from the game and regret a lot from it as well. But the past is the past and I'm moving on. I hope to one day make a 2D MMORPG that the community ultimately decides the fate of. (In terms of how they play. For example, if the majority of people choose option x in an event, then option x will happen. (like the bad guy winning.)) I started working on one this past year, and it will be years until I'm able to even get it running. But I'm going to do it and I'm taking the lessons I've learned from Nexus with me.

Join me, mortals!
[evil cackle]

Only if you can eat babies in the game.

Nexus will end for a person when he or she leaves it for the last time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Songa
post Apr 11 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #5

Il san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mazel @ Apr 10 2013, 10:14 PM) *
Only if you can eat babies in the game.

Wanna know how that started? I was made a Muse guide and commented to the elder at the time about how all of my students kept disappearing. She was asking me about why they kept leaving or something, so I told her it was because I ate them if they were bad. And somehow everyone started to know me as the "baby eater." A lot of people thought I was 100% seriously talking about eating babies IRL, to the extent of Archons getting involved. (They had my board posts removed because I was jokingly talking about eating babies. I think it was a Muse college class about cooking lol.) I didn't really roleplay it that much, especially anytime recently, but people kept talking about it. It's a terrible thing to be known for, lol. A lot of people think that you are talking about irl which is just plain stupid.

I might incorporate it somehow story-wise, but definitely not a game feature. That's a terrible game feature if you ask me. I mean, why are there babies even running around?

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 11 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 574
Characters: Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehovah... And Satan.

It'd be fitting if you were also atheist.

--------------------
I'm too legit. Ask your nieces and your nephews, I'm the shhh... Be quiet! Cursing's not allowed.

+Quote Post
Mazel
post Apr 11 2013, 07:22 PM
Post #7

Ee san
Group Icon

It could be a really sweet Easter egg maybe. I never heard the full baby story but I think it's really funny that IRL got involved. Stupid IRL!

I think Nexus can remain a long time yet even if KRU's investment in it continues to decline just because of the community that you mentioned.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Laren
post Apr 12 2013, 03:05 AM
Post #8

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

The answer is the same as last time, x+2, x being the current year.

+Quote Post
Songa
post Apr 12 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #9

Il san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mazel @ Apr 11 2013, 08:22 PM) *
It could be a really sweet Easter egg maybe. I never heard the full baby story but I think it's really funny that IRL got involved. Stupid IRL!

I think Nexus can remain a long time yet even if KRU's investment in it continues to decline just because of the community that you mentioned.

Haha, honestly I will probably incorporate it somehow. I developed roleplay for it, which is basically that Songa keeps her hair so shiny and herself so young by taking the essence, or souls, of babies to keep her that way. Kind of a Mother Gothel/Rapunzel situation. Except Mother Gothel eats Rapunzel. Years ago I discovered some sort of story about a witch or whatever who cooked babies in soups to stay young. For the life of me I can't remember the source, but it was very Songa. I'll most likely incorporate it into one of the character's stories somehow. I'm currently working on a graphic novel/web comic for the game which is pretty fun. The one thing that I have taken from Nexus is my love of story making.

You are right about KRU staying in business, though. The reason why people continue to play is because the game has a community unlike any other game out there. It's just a huge shame that it is wasted on a daily basis. I mean, the game can be so much better but people are set in their ways and will never opt for a change. It's essentially why I left. I got tired of paying to play a game that isn't as good as it could be, stuck in a path that will never take me serious or allow changes that members of the path whined to me about for years. I started to feel obligated to stay in a path, for reasons that were very selfish of the people to ask of me. I actually left the path entirely only to be begged into rejoining. I just wish people would've let me do what I wanted and stopped expecting/relying on me to make a change. I could only do so much, you know?

Anyway, enough of the Nexus rant. I've moved on and I think a lot of people have as well. Those who are still griping to the game will most likely always grip to it unless IRL circumstances happen that prevent it.

This post has been edited by Songa: Apr 12 2013, 04:04 PM

+Quote Post
Interstate
post Apr 13 2013, 06:15 AM
Post #10

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,663

Nah, not today.

--------------------
Vicious Circle
Hater of haters
Anti-elitist elitist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwL65cvzK0s...feature=related

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Apr 13 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #11

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Songa @ Apr 11 2013, 05:40 PM) *
A lot of people thought I was 100% seriously talking about eating babies IRL, to the extent of Archons getting involved. (They had my board posts removed because I was jokingly talking about eating babies. I think it was a Muse college class about cooking lol.)

And that therein is reason #1 why Nexus doesn't reach it's potential.

The GMs are more concerned with acting self-righteous than actually trying to improve the game.

Do you think anyone at Blizzard gives a damn about players joking around about eating babies in-game? Of course not. They are too busy doing real work.

I once got jailed for saying I was drunk. In a game where you can actually be afflicted by a status ailment called "Drunk", after drinking beer.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.

+Quote Post
Laren
post Apr 14 2013, 04:33 AM
Post #12

Sam san
Group Icon

I doubt the GMs got involved in anything about baby-eating, just the Archons. The issue in Nexus isn't what the GMs are concerned with, it's that they're not concerned. They don't care at all as far as I can tell.

+Quote Post
Songa
post Apr 14 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #13

Il san
Group Icon

And that therein is reason #1 why Nexus doesn't reach it's potential.

The GMs are more concerned with acting self-righteous than actually trying to improve the game.

Do you think anyone at Blizzard gives a damn about players joking around about eating babies in-game? Of course not. They are too busy doing real work.

I once got jailed for saying I was drunk. In a game where you can actually be afflicted by a status ailment called "Drunk", after drinking beer.

QUOTE ( @ Apr 14 2013, 05:33 AM) *
I doubt the GMs got involved in anything about baby-eating, just the Archons. The issue in Nexus isn't what the GMs are concerned with, it's that they're not concerned. They don't care at all as far as I can tell.

You both are right. darkmaverick is right because the GMs simply do not care about the game anymore, or when they supposedly did, it was for selfish and self-promoting reasons. (like how mug gave certain organizations things that other organizations were never going to get because he was friends with the head.)

Laren is right in saying that most of the GMs never got involved with that sort of thing. (with one exception, at least that I witnessed.) The biggest issue with Nexus is that it gives players anonymity in the form of Archons. Do they really think that a player isn't going to bring all of their bias with them? The issue has been talked about for years: Archons are players, and people too, most of which are biased and treat their RP/player enemies the same way when playing their Archon. People seem to have a hard time separating roleplay with real life in this game. Most of the time, they think you are 150% serious which isn't the case. It's a game and I'm here to have fun not do a job and be stressed out.

Even if the Archons have no bias towards a person, they still judge that person on what a handful of people tell them. You can make friends with an Archon and tell them all sorts of gossip about PlayerX, and they very well might believe you. Then, based on what someone said about you, (whether it was true or not) that Archon treats you good or bad because of it. I personally had a bad reputation because of the gossip and rumors that people spread about me. Whether true or not, people judge you with utmost certainty based on what someone else has said about you. It's a ridiculous and idiotic system.

I got tired of roleplaying the "bad guy" and people assuming that I was rude/mean before speaking to me. (Which is hilarious to me now, because I went on my Shaman who roleplays the stark opposite of Songa and got treated so much better.) I got tired of being passed up for positions because one person thought I didn't deserve it for their own personal reasons. Or being stuck in a position going nowhere and being stressed about it, but not being able to leave because other players claimed they needed me to stay. If someone was having a bad day, they took it out on another player. If they decided that they did not like you, they could destroy your Nexus career. The game isn't fair for everyone because of this, and it will never be changed.

Sorry I always write a novel....it just irks me to no end.

This post has been edited by Songa: Apr 14 2013, 05:27 PM

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Apr 14 2013, 06:04 PM
Post #14

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Laren @ Apr 14 2013, 04:33 AM) *

Just to clarify, the Archons are GMs.

They may not get paid, but they do the job of a GM (writing new quests, designing maps, reading Dreams board and submitting proposals to the development team, etc etc).

Sad as it is, the player Archons are GMs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Enlightened
post Apr 14 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #15

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 13,435

This game could theoretically go on forever, as long as the addicts keep paying. I wish someone like DM could take over the game. At least we would get a few years of new content until he burns out.

I'm currently waiting for something to happen. I refuse to pay KRU any money for a stale game.

+Quote Post
Laren
post Apr 14 2013, 10:05 PM
Post #16

Sam san
Group Icon

QUOTE (darkmaverick @ Apr 14 2013, 04:04 PM) *
Just to clarify, the Archons are GMs.

They may not get paid, but they do the job of a GM (writing new quests, designing maps, reading Dreams board and submitting proposals to the development team, etc etc).

Sad as it is, the player Archons are GMs.

Fair enough, but I meant KRU, the people with the power to actually implement things, change the game or change company policy. Archons do the job that GMs do in games like WoW, basically customer service reps with some special powers. Most of them actually care. The DWs do not.

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Apr 15 2013, 11:47 AM
Post #17

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

I know the servers haven't shut down, but I think "Nexus" ended awhile ago. The current game has the same graphics, but it isn't anything like what it used to be.

Not that I'm complaining; just making an observation. I'm sure the servers could be left alone for 4 more years and it may even last that long if people keep wanting to be "the most powerful virtual person ever," but Nexus isn't anything like it was from even 2-3 years ago, and even that was a far cry from the game in 2000-2005 or so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tynan
post Sep 13 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #18

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 12

I am not sure when Nexus will end but, although I have not played in 5+ years now, I will probably be quite sad when it does. It was a big part of my life over the years and, when it dies, it will be a little like hearing an old friend you fell out of touch with passed away.

I began playing in August, 1998, when I was fifteen, shortly after beta ended on a little Mage. I didn't get far - maybe level 60 - but it was a blast. I started playing a Rogue a couple months later simply because Moonblades looked cool and they had Invisible, Ambush, and Filch. I still recall fondly all of the shenanigans I pulled that, at the time, were hilarious, though so very wrong. Running around Mythic caves while invisible, filching drops from bosses and death piles was amusing (remember when death piles had no protection?!). Chalk it up to capricious youth! I still remember all of the cool secrets in 3.0, like the snake cave with the hidden passage to the room with the boas that gave great experience for newbies. Or how warriors could exploit Chongun in the tiger cave by having him keep giving you tiger meat in response to a phrase (it may have been "Chongun", I forget), which you could then sell and repeat ad nauseum. I remember the pride at reaching 99 back when that meant something, then farming the Elder Monkey room with people who could one-hit them, which was a big deal, especially since I couldn't. Then I remember when I could eventually one-hit ox, which was pretty fun since there were no aethers on critical strikes. I remember the Reckoning, after the money dupe exploit ruined the economy. I remember how, when 4.0 came, I regretted not saving more Moon Armors (they used to sell for, like, 100K and were gotten from winning a Carnage!) and other things that became rare, like Royal Tiger Pelts. Those used to drop like candy from a newbie cave!

All of those memories are near and dear to me, and no other MMORPG I ever played made the same impression. EverQuest came close, but I still do not hold it in such high esteem.

Anyway, I got a few friends from school hooked and met a lot of great people in the game, but eventually the allure of EverQuest pulled me and my friends away, which led to all manner of 3D MMORPGs like Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, World of Warcraft, etc. However, I always had a soft spot in my heart for Nexus and came back almost annually, played like mad for a couple months, only to leave again. However, the charm of the game, its simplicity, and, most of all, the community and the uniqueness always pulled me back.

I came back on this guy in 2006ish, I think, and got relatively buff before quitting for good, having achieved all I wanted to. The game was still pretty alive when I left, but it was definitely on the decline in terms of development. Nothing will match the 3.0 and 4.0 days, but I suppose memories are always rose-tinted. It just felt that Nexon cared a lot more and the game was always moving forward, whereas with Kru it has been all about recycling events and selling cash shop items.

Anyway, I probably check this board out once or twice a year, just to see what is going on. Every time I do I reflect on the good times I had here and appreciate that while I'll never have those times back, I'll have those memories forever.

+Quote Post
Xyphier
post Sep 16 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #19

Level 5

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 145,233

It's just a guessing game right now. Nobody thought this game would last as long as it has. If you ask me, I hope someone close to the game buys its rights and turns it around. Right now it's just a sunk boat in shallow water, 1/2 under water, 1/2 afloat, something holding it up but going nowhere.

+Quote Post
Mazel
post Sep 17 2013, 06:28 AM
Post #20

Ee san
Group Icon

Nexus has been around so long and survived the birth of numerous game such as Diablo 3. Barring any events such as KRU employees leaving or increases in minimum wage (who knows, CA will be at $10 in 2016), I think the game can stick around as long as the company milks our addiction.

I do think it's never early enough to seek out a refugee camp for displaced TKers. A similar game with the ability to emote, grind, (bot,) AFK for extended periods, etc., would be suitable, in my opinion. Thoughts?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:01 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.