IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Did You Find Nexus?!, Tell the story!
TaiPatron
post Feb 23 2007, 02:28 AM
Post #1

Il san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 474
Characters: TaiPatron

hey guise,

how did you find nexus? id liek to know how all u beta testers found it. I know its on a few websites mmorpg.com and suchfourth but I myself found out about it in 98 in elementry school.

How did you fidn out about nexus? how were the people then compared to now? Anything you remember about that day??

~!

Tai

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Feb 23 2007, 02:37 AM
Post #2

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

I found out about Nexus through a friend. He was already playing a short while by the time he finally talked me into try it. Nexus players overall were MUCH better to deal with than today. Most of then were willing to help you without any questions. With that I owe alot to Joram. He spent hours showing me what I need to do and set me up with some proper armors and weapons to get started with ((since the friend who got me in was nowhere to be found when I first logged in)).

My first impressions of Nexus was a little skeptical. To me it reminded me of an online version of the first Legend of Zelda in how the play control was. And the very first sage that I remember was "Buying a pair of Tits". First thoughts on that were rather misleading tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tynan
post Feb 23 2007, 02:46 AM
Post #3

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 12

I found out about Nexus in August of 1998, the summer after...Grade 9, I guess it was. This was roughly one month after the game went commercial.

I am not even 100% sure how I found it, to be honest. It was definitely online, likely from some gaming website. I was the one who hooked 4 of my friends on it, but all of them quit by early 4.0.

It is a common myth that the community is somehow different - it is not. Not in any meaningful way, at least. The old tend to see the past through rose-coloured lenses, and reflect on 'the good ol' days'.

I have not noticed a decline in the sort of players that play. There were asses back then, there are asses now. This has always and will always be true.

+Quote Post
Dritz
post Feb 23 2007, 03:23 AM
Post #4

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 37
Characters: PyroAce

I joined way after beta but I don't really see why the topic needs to be during that specific time frame. A friend of a friend told me about it in shop class.

--------------------
There I was

+Quote Post
Vortextk
post Feb 23 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #5

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,757
Characters: Frog

It was actually my first time ever online...Just a 6th grader in early 98 =)

My dad had bought a new computer and I was over(saw him just twice a month) looking up stuff. Somehow I remember looking up hercules(that show was so cool hah), and stumbling upon some crappy hercules rpg. I don't think it ever worked, or maybe I was unsure of what to do. Anyway, I went farther into that search, role playing games, came upon a java based one, maybe two, that I couldn't get working either, then somehow went on to find Nexus that day.

That's why I can never truly quit Nexus. I mean, it was basically the first internet experience I ever had.

--------------------
IPB Image
Pandemonium Frog My Progress
Warriors; so easy a caveman could do it.

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Feb 23 2007, 03:57 AM
Post #6

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Retired Administrator
Member No.: 3

I occasionally chat with a long time friend of mine and 9 years ago I asked her what she was doing and she said playing nexus. It took me about 5 minutes to get her to shut up long enough to tell me where the URL was. She was telling me how cool it was. While she was still talking about how she liked it so much, I had downloaded, installed and made my first character, Tyshar, who still is in the game. I asked her how do you whisper people and when she told me I whispered her in the game. She was stunned. I told her to shut her AIM window and show me what to do. Since that day 9 years ago, hardly a week has gone by without my logging on to the game and then most days if I have the time.

I am definitely addicted.

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
Icespadez
post Feb 23 2007, 04:17 AM
Post #7

Code Poet

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 1,219
Characters: Icespadez

I remember searching dice.com for computer work. I came across a job offer for neopets.com. So, I went to check out the site to see what they were all about. After a while there and making some friends, I got my account frozen for creating cheat programs =X There was another person on neopet making cheats known as puppetz. On his website it said he was leaving to join nexus, so I checked it out. I loved it because you can interact with other people, not just chat with them. Now, about eight years later, I'm still playing nexus and it all started with me looking for a job huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FallenTennyo
post Feb 23 2007, 05:13 AM
Post #8

Level 5

Member No.: 1,652
Characters: FallenTennyo, KinirokoYume, YureiOkami and RyukoKamino

I actually discovered it while hanging out at a friend's house. I saw her younger brother playing it (I believe it was during the Shattering at that point...or at least they had been playing that long) and the two of them proceeded to tell me that I should give it a try. A year or two later, I worked up the courage to finally download and install it (it wasn't my computer at the time ;P) and I've been hooked ever since ^^;

--------------------
I give up.

+Quote Post
Gokku
post Feb 23 2007, 07:29 AM
Post #9

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 79

I came across Nexus early 98 when it was still in beta. I was just searching for random things on www.tucows.com and then I typed "game" and NexusTk showed up among the results.

Back then everything seemed so mysterious, mainly because I never went beyond level 10 for a veeeery long time! tongue.gif

--------------------

Swift sonGokku ..........Panoply Gokku .............Mage Kenzo

Retired from Nexus!

Repeat after me: Nexus is only a game ... Nexus is only a game ... Nexus is only a game ...Nexus is only a game! ...

+Quote Post
Felton
post Feb 23 2007, 08:14 AM
Post #10

Enchanted

Member No.: 1,392
Characters: Shans

I FOund It on THE Classifieds in my LOCAL NEW papers that the LOCal paperBOy gave to me wink.gif

--------------------
It only takes but the blink of an eye to be the blind man I passed by...

WWW.facebook.com/BluesAtSunrise

Add if you remember me, and would like to chat

+Quote Post
Ffyll
post Feb 23 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #11

Enchanted

Member No.: 1,415
Characters: Ffyll

Found 99 when I wanted something to do after moving to a sleepy village in Scotland (6 miles to the nearest shop, 18 houses, all old people, I don't think they've realised I moved in yet!). Back then everyone played PA and this link came up on an IRC channel.

I went off and on and off and on and mostly off for 2 years, then went to uni and forgot. Now I'm married and need something to do in the evenings...

--------------------

What a great front you got here...
... with Ffyll
-- Moraghul, whilst hosting an insanity Bloodlust line-up, carefully examines the front lines!

+Quote Post
Genica
post Feb 23 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #12

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 143
Characters: Genica

Back in 2000 I was dating a guy who happened to play Nexus. He talked me into downloading it and playing with him. My first Genica character was a warrior. The relationship broke up and I quit playing for awhile but then came back to Nexus in 2003 (I think) and made Genica my rogue. I made friends with people in game and have been playing ever since. I guess something decent did come out of that past relationship! tongue.gif

--------------------
Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.

+Quote Post
AceoStar
post Feb 23 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #13

Oh san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 2
Characters: AceoStar

Some kid on irc back in 98 or so and I started playing. Had my first toon that I played with my woman for about 9 months, and I quit after logging on her char and giving away all her [Content removed] after a fight =p

Few years later I tore my ACL and needed something to keep me occupied.

--------------------
AceoStar, Imperial Guard of Buya.

Put www.StatAddict.com in your profile to track your stats today!

Learn to keep up

Errr, NF is filtered at work these days, I'll be checking the forums a lot less often.

+Quote Post
Corath
post Feb 23 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #14

Sam san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 31
Characters: Corath, Halanna, Aemon, CorJr

One of my best friends (Aramina) told me about it in grade 11, so that was fall of 2000. She said it was a great game, and lots of fun... I looked into it, and basically read the old NexusTK website with the history and such, and I was lured in. I registered that December, and played for quite a while before getting bored of it.

However, my VERY first time playing it was April 1, 2000, when some other people told me about it. I logged on, and my character had a FLAMEBLADE to begin with! I thought that it was so cool that new characters got such a sweet weapon... but the next day it was gone, so I logged off and didn't even think about it for many months later. tongue.gif

--------------------
I play World of Warcraft. Thrall-NA server, Horde faction.

Corath's Blog - randomness about World of Warcraft and beyond.

+Quote Post
Grand Cross
post Feb 23 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #15

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,402
Characters: GrandCross, Beoulve

A friend of mine who told my brother about it. My brother played it for awhile and I watched him play it, but the 10-day trial was up. Both my brother and my friend never paid a cent for Nexus, but I started playing and I've been playing on and off since.

+Quote Post
FireTiger
post Feb 23 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #16

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

QUOTE(Corath @ Feb 23 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]27262[/snapback]

One of my best friends (Aramina) told me about it in grade 11, so that was fall of 2000. She said it was a great game, and lots of fun... I looked into it, and basically read the old NexusTK website with the history and such, and I was lured in. I registered that December, and played for quite a while before getting bored of it.

However, my VERY first time playing it was April 1, 2000, when some other people told me about it. I logged on, and my character had a FLAMEBLADE to begin with! I thought that it was so cool that new characters got such a sweet weapon... but the next day it was gone, so I logged off and didn't even think about it for many months later. tongue.gif

I remember that, that was april fools day. Ice beast also roamed in the Inns and the cities.

My friend Daes, or Gotunks back in the day showed me it.. way to many years later I still roam the forums..

--------------------
"Anyone whose goal is 'something higher' must expect someday to suffer vertigo. What is vertigo? Fear of falling? No, Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves."
— Milan Kundera (The Unbearable Lightness of Being)

+Quote Post
Seta
post Feb 23 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #17

Il san
Group Icon

Group: Banished
Member No.: 1,108
Characters: Jehst, Essa

back in 1998 I was forced to goto my cousins birthday in a nearby city. so i went and he was playing this game and it looked pretty sweet, so i asked him about it and he gave me nexons Url. I went home that night downloaded it and it didnt work on my computer... no joke. About 4 months later I downloaded it again to see if it would work and for some reason it did and i played on and off ever since.

--------------------
You don't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick with me!

+Quote Post
ColbyCC
post Feb 24 2007, 02:56 AM
Post #18

Level 99

Member No.: 300

I found it through a friend in the late 6th grade, and played it basically until now... yeah...

-3C

+Quote Post
Sebelle
post Feb 24 2007, 03:38 AM
Post #19

Sam san
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 30

Gasteride showed it to me in September of 98, and I've been playing it since.

He explained it as a game where you kill deer and rabbits with wooden sticks. It was my first online game, ahhh...memories tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pyogenes
post Feb 24 2007, 03:50 AM
Post #20

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 71
Characters: Superman, Batman, umm.... Superman.

My friend found it and called me "I need your help blocking someone in this game I found, it's hilarious my guy looks like a retard and has a soup-bowl cut!"

Sold!

--------------------
Shh... I'm lurking...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:40 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.