WereWulf
post Nov 30 2009, 09:53 PM
Post #1

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 306
Characters: Don't mess up the tables!

Today my brother and I were talking about how fun the Rogue hall use to be. We got on the topic about our favorite game (can't remember the name) where 4 rogues would stand on yellow scrolls in a diamond shape and use vita attacks while healing out. It occurred to us that with the addition of that vita flow back or whatever its called has this game been ruined? The beauty of that game was that a level 50 rogue with Ka could potentially beat a sam san etc.

Might explain why the rogue hall became empty.

--------------------
Did you ever notice how in the Bible, when ever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Musoyan
post Dec 1 2009, 04:16 AM
Post #2

Exasperating
Group Icon

Member No.: 543
Characters: Musoyen

Isn't that something like Barbarian heal out? (I went to it once and never again.. so I don't remember exactly. o_o)

Stand in a diamond with one space inbetween ya'll trying to vita to kill the other person while healing out with soothe

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Dec 1 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #3

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

QUOTE (WereWulf @ Nov 30 2009, 08:53 PM) *
Today my brother and I were talking about how fun the Rogue hall use to be. We got on the topic about our favorite game (can't remember the name) where 4 rogues would stand on yellow scrolls in a diamond shape and use vita attacks while healing out. It occurred to us that with the addition of that vita flow back or whatever its called has this game been ruined? The beauty of that game was that a level 50 rogue with Ka could potentially beat a sam san etc.

Might explain why the rogue hall became empty.

I think the rogue hall became empty because there is a different breed of player now. Times change, people change. Back then it was the rogue hall for rogues, and vale for fights with everyone. When was the last time people went to vale to fight instead of Sire pit either? Now and for the past few years, Nexus gained lots of younger players, who formed little e-gangs, and with stats being so out of control now it is a constant rat race to hunt/PK.

I think it is sad though, as there were a lot of good times in the rogue hall and you could really learn a lot in there about being a rogue and PK'ing. I think in the past, playing the game meant taking part in a little bit of everything... hunting, pk'ing, crafting, subpaths, clans, etc. Now though, people seem to stick to just one or two aspects of the game. With the intensity of trying to keep up with the massive stats out there that some people have, I think others had to sacrifice those other fun parts to stay competitive.

Really though, Nexon/KRU helped along this massive shift in focus. Roleplayers were repeatedly asked to work for weak requests, were given ultimatums regarding activity numbers, and met resistance at every turn, while the game developers threw more and more in terms of hunting, PK, sans, etc. I won't comment on whether this was good or bad for them as a company (probably good as getting people to care more about the automated parts of the game means less work developing really -new- stuff), but from a player perspective I think it is both sad and the reason that Nexus currently isn't close to how fun it used to be. I'm trying to not look through rose-colored glasses too much, but you can't deny the massive exodus of people after the 40s-60s.

-Falaris

--------------------

+Quote Post
solman
post Dec 2 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 104

I think that PK style also changed is why you don't see the rogue hall filled anymore. It became more gear based which added such a huge difference in stats, it really reinforced the whole hunting and gaining stats aspect. You don't see rogues duel to often 1 on 1 because of that.

--------------------
Time to do the naked Pee Pee dance.

+Quote Post
LEET
post Dec 3 2009, 04:06 AM
Post #5

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 170

Rogue hall died during the early ages of 6.0. The reasoning behind it is complete unknown, maybe new people, or just people changed how they played when 6.0 was released.

+Quote Post
solman
post Dec 3 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #6

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 104

QUOTE (LEET @ Dec 3 2009, 03:06 AM) *
Rogue hall died during the early ages of 6.0. The reasoning behind it is complete unknown, maybe new people, or just people changed how they played when 6.0 was released.

Hence what I just said is why I think it died.. The whole skill aspect in PK died as kru added stupid changes to the game. That tab lock feature killed rogues ability to use invis and fight. Hence why bother dueling with no challenge. Might as well PK on a mage path dueling at that rate, which most people do.

--------------------
Time to do the naked Pee Pee dance.

+Quote Post
Iter
post Dec 4 2009, 12:35 AM
Post #7

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 166
Characters: Tiker, Celeriter, Kenjo, Blackmorrow, Mabon

I always register once in a while to scratch that itch, but always get bored because I'm unwilling to throw myself wholeheartedly into any part of the game. I'm also always really sad there's no more Rogue Hall culture to revel in--that was always fun--roleplayer, pker, hunter, or what. I would spend whole days there. It's one of the things that made me love rogues--it was something only they had, and I think you would be hard pressed to find something similar in any other game. Something about the real-time reaction of fighting with the Nexus rogue.

I'll share you a small piece I wrote for a contest a long time ago called "Buya Dispatch." I don't remember if this or my "Kugnae Dispatch" won, but I really enjoyed writing it:
The Buya Rogue Hall

If you should walk from the west gate into Maso's Rogue guild, and talk to the antique little Onyx about some cosmetic desires of yours, you will not be able to ignore the roar of voices and whoops emanating from behind you. You turn to see a door in the corner you have never seen before, but it is guarded by two burly men. They see you are a rogue, and let you pass into the room beyond.

It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust to the dim light. It smells of dank sweat, poison, and vomit, and you can feel the clinging moisture on your skin, the dew of the air forming on your armor, cool from the air outside. The room is lit by candles and fire in sconces on the wall. Straight ahead of you, on a rug, two rogues duel. They flash in and out of visibility, like birds dipping out of clouds. The hair on their heads clings to skin, soaking wet with sweat. They cut viciously at each other, throwing magic pellets and dust at one another to blind or hinder them. You stare at the filthy rug on which they fight; it is soiled with the brown of dried blood and, in some places, it looks like vomit.

To your left, next to a board with various messages posted, a squat, balding man with a queue watches with squinty eyes the fight taking place. Moisture-clad garb hangs limply on him. Next to where he stands, there is a sack of pipes and bloody livers and other miscellaneous items. He is the assistant tutor; he keeps the room running.

All around the room, vicious looking men and women--tatooed, pierced, armored, armed--hang around, watching the fight unfold. They throw their sarcasm or their compliments into the ring with the fighters. Scantily clad women hang on some of the rough-voiced rogues. You are frozen in your stance as one wicked female bares you her carved teeth, as she tightens the strap on a boot.

"KA~~!" The bellow pulls you from your trance with a start to find one of the duelists standing over the corpse of the other. There is a roar of laughter and comment by the spectators. Both fighters are covered in blood and sweat; one pants heavily, and one does not breath at all. You turn to leave at the sickening sight, and as you exit, you hear the tutor clap loudly and ask someone if he wishes to participate...

-Blackmorrow, Baron
Captain of the Shillan Rose

I think in the past, playing the game meant taking part in a little bit of everything... hunting, pk'ing, crafting, subpaths, clans, etc.

Also interesting to think about. I know on my first character I did all of these things. On my second I did most. Every time I've "come back" after that though, I've never really invested in anything other than hunting and PK, and I admit it's never been as fun as it once was.

+Quote Post
Megumi
post Jan 31 2010, 01:26 AM
Post #8

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 1,553

This is coming from the top of my head, but perhaps the game you are thinking of is Circle Jerk? I do not remember the name exactly, but it definitely had the word "circle" in it and the rules were to buy a pipe and then un-equip all items and then cast Soothe non-stop to attempt to heal out of the other 3 player's KA attacks and retaliate with your own.

+Quote Post
WestSideR
post Feb 3 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #9

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,403

QUOTE (Musoyan @ Dec 1 2009, 04:16 AM) *
Isn't that something like Barbarian heal out? (I went to it once and never again.. so I don't remember exactly. o_o)

Stand in a diamond with one space inbetween ya'll trying to vita to kill the other person while healing out with soothe

The barbarians copied the idea, my assumption would be that whoever 'thought it up' was one of those people who used to play it in Rogue hall. It was commonly referred to as circle jerk - which im sure means something .. uhh.. yeah.

I miss Rogue Hall masses! I remember it was fun playing circle jerk and doing those shadow trials (rangers have an event like it - AmbuKa I think? its where you get a small arena with obstacles and you have to ambush + da/ls the people to get them out, no invisible, if you step on a scroll your out, and ive seen up to 10 people playing at once)

Those days were fun.. I dont remember who all used to go there, but Rogue Hall was rarely empty..

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:15 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.