IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Best Representations Of, Each Subpath!
The Best Representatioins of Each Subpath!
HELLO
I AM GOING TO VOTE ON ONE OR MORE SUBPATHS! YOU'RE WELCOME, KILLEH. [ 25 ] ** [75.76%]
I AM NOT GOING TO VOTE, BUT THAT'S OKAY, I'M NOT A JERK. [ 8 ] ** [24.24%]
Total Votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
Iter
post Oct 22 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #21

Il san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 166
Characters: Tiker, Celeriter, Kenjo, Blackmorrow, Mabon

What about Ixeuss for warrior?CR?

Rando for Hyun Moo?

I'll throw my vote in for LocoSam for Barbarian.

Why not Shadow? You didn't ask but I'll throw out some of the ones that chilled my blood the most when I was a kid: dementia, Blooduster, StarLyte, IamTaquito, pul. Sorry can't go shorter than that, and I'm already leaving off a lot of folks that were the epitome to me. Gosh, I'm overcome with a debilitating current of nostalgia.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MainAttraction
post Oct 22 2010, 02:17 AM
Post #22

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,050

No offense to any of these people but in my opinion at least I think there are better choices, for Spy, Ranger, Shaman, Chongun, Druid (like who the hell is HealerofDoom?) maybe it's just me but I don't think of these people when I think of these paths.

Spy should be like Chongun, Ranger should be Valdessi, Shaman could be a number of people like Wasse, WildHair, WorldWalker, Shans-- Chongun should be Madog, Druid there are a lot of good choices.

I have to say though, I love the idea about Leodaris and the butterfly, I can't wait to see that portion of the drawing, and honestly whoever you pick I can't wait to see it. I like your drawing style and always applaud when people do things creative. smile.gif

--------------------
"you know nexus? ya, I used to kiss a lot of deer butts in that game."
CONRO WATCH: DAY 2 --"I heard he's already playing on a noob in Tangun"

+Quote Post
Warik
post Oct 22 2010, 03:42 AM
Post #23

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 49
Characters: Warik

Debello isn't a barbarian.
Hell, he isn't even a warrior... He's a Rogue!

lol... =p

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Oct 22 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #24

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

This is suppose to be for the best "representation" of a path. Not personal favorites. There are names in here who have been kicked/chased from their paths, or even banned from the game for whatever reason. Being labelled as among the worst that path has ever had by some of those within their respected paths. There are even a few names who were only around in the very beginning, never to be seen again (over a decade ago). They are only ever mentioned for the most part in history notes, with many going "who?" when those names are mentioned.

rolleyes.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Oct 22 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #25

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

QUOTE (SilentS @ Oct 22 2010, 06:56 AM) *
This is suppose to be for the best "representation" of a path. Not personal favorites. There are names in here who have been kicked/chased from their paths, or even banned from the game for whatever reason. Being labelled as among the worst that path has ever had by some of those within their respected paths. There are even a few names who were only around in the very beginning, never to be seen again (over a decade ago). They are only ever mentioned for the most part in history notes, with many going "who?" when those names are mentioned.

rolleyes.gif

This is entirely subjective. Over the course of a decade, things happen, people change, paths change, etc. On top of that, more often than not most people won't or don't know about some of the underhanded things that a bunch of people who have been voted for have done. And then even beyond that, some people might know those things, but think it is appropriate based on their path.

For example, Ilios might be one of the best representations of the Merchant Guild. Had it not been for him trying to sell path money on the black market, I might have even voted for him over Warik. And this is a guy who I had more than my fair share of fights with. At the end of the day though when I consider what an ideal Merchant 'should' be - powerful in the community, rich, willing to cut deals to buy support from people, something like a mob boss - then Ilios fits that description pretty well.

If I was judging 'Best Merchant' based on what I thought a Merchant was in the 30s, I could have gone with a bunch of other names like Fice, Paladino, etc. who at their height really embodied the "happy, friendly community helper" type Merchant. 10 years later, I have such a different view of what I think Merchants should be that I'm not even in the path any longer.

I have first- and second-hand experience and knowledge of corruption from a bunch of people on that list, both in Merchants and not. But in regards to Merchants specifically, I think a little corruption and self-interest is part of what makes people great Merchants. So like I said, I might vote for Ilios based on that alone had I not felt that he betrayed the path at the end. On the other hand, someone else might still see Merchants as the cheery, happy people they keep trying to portray themselves as, so what makes a good Merchant for them can be totally different.

Last thing I wanted to touch on was length of playing. If someone fully embodied the spirit of their path, then what difference does it make if they only played 1 year instead of 5 or more? Just because a lot of current players might not know them, doesn't mean they weren't awesome at the time. I'd list Khamael after JaydePhoenix long before I put Wasse, Wildhair, or Worldwalker down, even though the latter 3 are much more popular and played much longer than Khamael ever did even if most current players have no idea who he is.

And really, who cares? This isn't an official ranking of the best member of each subpath ever, and the results are going to be skewed because these boards have a microcosm of Nexus players ranging from all different time periods. I can't see myself getting offended that Devion wasn't picked for monks even though I think he was far superior to Janken and Berig. As time goes on, people fade out of memory.

Edit: P.S.- I think I'd have to go with Citian, dementia or Blooduster for Shadows. I know he disbanded the path and all, but prior to that when he actually cared about playing the game, I think Citian might have been the best at just 'being' a Shadow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kiel
post Oct 22 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #26

Enchanted

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 189

Spy: Conro

--------------------
"What I am isn't important. WHY is important. "

+Quote Post
MainAttraction
post Oct 22 2010, 01:47 PM
Post #27

Ee san
Group Icon

I agree with Falaris but I'd even go as far as saying, that corruption and greed that Ilios displayed is the best/truest representation of that path and sort of the pitfals of a path that's so strongly entrenched in the market and money. Paths have ideals, and there is that following at face value, but behind the scenes a whole different belief system is held. It's the same with the majority of paths and people, because this is a game.

I'd also like to say that the people villafied later or earliar in their tenures are by far the most interesting, Taijin, Liad, Hooje, Citian to name a few all represented their paths well at one point in time and followed their path ideals to a T, but then they did something radical that creates debate. I think the longer these things settle in peoples minds, the more these people look like trailblazers and great representations of their path for their strength as individuals in doing the things that they did. The difference between these people and others, is they let that behind the scenes side rise to the surface while others keep it hidden, for example, as Ilios has said, there were many people involved in his process, and not just merchants...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hobart
post Oct 22 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #28

Enchanted

Member No.: 6,864

I think Chongun should be the Spy representative. He has an amazing historical foundation and has a widespread underground cult following.

That and drawing me with a Green waistcoat and a bandanna seems boring compared to what you could create with Chongun. I am honored to be a part of your project, but Chongun is the better selection in this scenario.

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Oct 22 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #29

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 20 2010, 06:23 PM) *
DaKowe and DM were, at most and I don't mean to rag on or offend them, mediocre warriors. Not only that, but DM is most notable as a Chongun and, though in recent years he was unable to do so, I believe he still represents and distinguishes with that path best. You know what they say, "You can take the kid out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the kid." I'll leave it to him to say whether or not I'm right about that though, I don't want to speak on his behalf.

QUOTE (MainAttraction @ Oct 20 2010, 07:05 PM) *
Sidenote: DM was such a chungy ryungy that he even went so far as to make a website just for Chung Ryongs to be as cool as him.

QUOTE (Winder @ Oct 20 2010, 06:01 PM) *
Chongun: SilentS, DarkMaverick, GildenStar (not separately, all three as ONE picture)

...it's probably for the best if I don't comment on any of this, lol

My picks (trying to abide by the whole, 'remained in the path thing'):

Chung Ryong: LrdDrkMoon
Chongun: Vini
Do: Masana
Barbarian: MPython

Ju Jak: SueW
Shaman: JaydePhoenix / Crovax
Diviner: Gull
Geomancer: Leodaris

Hyun Moo: Chica
Monk: Greta or Janken
Muse: Lokira
Druid: Xenic (there basically was no Druid RP until Xenic came around)

Baekho: ShinI
Merchant: Paladino
Spy: Hobart or Chongun
Shadow: LogicalPO
Ranger: Spectrumboy

QUOTE (Adam @ Oct 20 2010, 06:23 PM) *
Secondly, I'd like to point out, and I've already touched on this, that Calmwind was basically ONLY known, i.e. "the most famous Nexus person of all" for being the top-stats player. Granted, I'm not known for that much in comparison, but if just holding the title of "Nexus' Buffest Player" is the criteria we're considering for the best representation of their path, then why not tack on Shans, Roboter, Ellone, winroute, SuWaN, Chebaky, SinJackal, etc to the list. I guess you could fit it into the "roleplay" of Chung Ryong (AKA Fury/Assault/Barrage/Champion) that if you're the strongest you best represent it, but that's a long stretch to be honest.

I will point out that CalmWind is different than all other "buffest players" because he gained his stats as a Chongun (the weakest warrior subpath back then) before split cave entrances were removed, and he was over 1million vita and 500k mana when most players were barely 100k total in any stats, and the next strongest character was SueW, Nitehawk or LadySatin, and neither were even Sam san stats. Mountie was the second strongest Warrior and I think he only had a little over 400k vita when CW hit 1mil. I could be a little off, I just remember that CW had a huge stat leap over everyone else. I believe CW was also the first to make Master Smith.

As for whether CW should be considered a Chongun or not...it's true he left, but he left after the scandal that shall not be named where a lot of people left. He didn't need R6. He could already 1hit just about everything in the game. I vaguely recall talking to him about re-joining Chonguns but he felt the path a lost cause. All things considered, he probably made a smarter decision than me.

QUOTE (SilentS @ Oct 22 2010, 06:56 AM) *

rolleyes.gif

Well if you ask me, I wish some of these paths would have went into the same direction those so-called "worst members" went. And no, I'm not just talking about Chonguns. Sure, I don't agree with all the nominations either (there are several I'd like to passionately argue against), but I realize people's mileage may vary so I'll refrain from expanding on that.

I do think voting should go for a little more than a day since people don't exactly check this stuff often. Also, NF probably aren't the best place to only count votes from.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
MainAttraction
post Oct 22 2010, 04:46 PM
Post #30

Ee san
Group Icon

Truthfully DM, I'm curious, because I could see you saying either side. Which path did you better represent? I know you formulated a lot of the main "knightly" ideals that for the longest time were part of the Chongun roleplay, and contributed a lot to the path but I think as sort of a "betrayed/outcast" you fit the Chung Ryong bill perfectly and carried that NPC path for a while-- like I said before, I don't know if I could put you in the same league as CW just because of the aura he had all around Nexus (but he himself had the same predicament as you) but for me you're a contender on the Chung ryong bill and not that high in Chonguns (I seriously can't believe Madog is getting no love).

By the way, props for putting Xenic up there. I was the only other one to do so and I was beginning to think he had been forgotten.

--------------------

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Oct 22 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #31

Oh san
Group Icon

I don't believe that I represent the Chonguns as they are today. The path has gone through so many re-interpretations that if I ever did, it was only for a short window of time; probably after Icey left and before the scandal that shall not be named.

I guess I'd be more closely in touch with the C.Ryong side of things. I had a whole rp spiel about it and I'd like to think I contributed useful things to the Warrior community in general.

Either way, I guess I'm a little touched that people I argue with all the time would even think of me as possibly representing either path. Thank you.

I much prefer what Xenic did with the Druids than what any other Druid Elder has done with them. The Druids then and the Druids now might as well be considered two different paths, and I think the game was much more interesting when the Shaman and Druids were going at it every day and dragging the community into their conflict.

MaDog, from my understanding, vanished shortly after beta ended and never returned, so it's not surprising that she isn't getting much love. Everything I know about Chongun history says that we didn't have anything really well established until Icemanabk started writing recruiting posts. I mean we had some traditions (some of which, last I knew, still exist in highly, highly altered forms) but things didn't get standardized until Gild's era as Elder, although things went through multiple revisions throughout her Eldership and continued to change until the present. I mean, Guldar is Elder now and I severely doubt anything substantial has changed since I last played, but things did alter a lot throughout the first several Elderships after Gild. Last I played I honestly felt the path was in an identity crisis because there was generations of conflicting ideas on what a Chongun should be, and a lot of it I felt drifted greatly from the direction I'd like the path to have gone in (hell, things -I- wrote for the path got interpreted in ways I never, EVER intended them to be interpreted). But it's possible that direction would never have happened simply because of the nature of subpaths. I mean, maybe if I had been Elder I could have ensured it while I was Elder, but looking at what has happened with all subpaths, it's very unlikely it would have continued when I passed the torch. That's the nature of charismatic leaderships. It's a poor model for long term group stability.

All things considered, I'd rather not be associated with a path that believes it is okay to brush undesirable things under the rug and hide the truth, or play mindgames with its members, especially former ones. Nor a path that believes it's fair to make people sacrifice their enjoyment of the game just to be part of a small community. Or is too hung up on what is supposedly "traditional" and less concerned with what is most practical and beneficial for its members.

If I'm to be associated with any subpath, I guess C. Ryong would be better since C. Ryong is in the business of giving strength to those who have been betrayed and abandoned and always welcoming when members leave or return. I'd like to think I'm the same way, since even if I really dislike someone or what they are saying, I'm at least willing to frankly talk and entertain what they are trying to say. Also, I tend to befriend a lot of people who I had once fiercely clashed with.

But it doesn't really matter since I don't play anymore tongue.gif

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.

+Quote Post
Killeh
post Oct 22 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #32

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 148

Okay you guys talked way too much. I ONLY want votes on subpaths that have NOT been picked yet. Tonberry won for JuJak with 5 votes. The people that are chosen so far won at least 5 votes and the ones that are listed to vote from (please don't add your own anymore), had like 4 or 5 but were tied and need a tie breaker. I'm not going to do Shadow because I wasn't around for Shadow and call me ignorant, or stupid, or whatever, but I don't know a thing about them, so I'm not going to draw them. So here's the ones you CAN vote on and PLEASE stick to the people listed:
---------------------------------------------------
Barbarian:
Wimp, XItachiX, LocoSam, Winder

Merchant:
Warik, Everclear, Living

Chung Ryong:
Calmwind, SourApple, YangZ,
BWENARU, KaNaK, SparkyD

Hyun Moo:
spinkns, Negai, Gemballa,
Zippey, Healingbabe, HealPLZ,
TwistedTCK, Valandil, Tzara

Baekho:
SinJackal, Maki, BornToRide, Calavoz,
Triplekia, SxyMail, Castleberry, ShinI,
dj, XMorphX,

+Quote Post
Laren
post Oct 22 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #33

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

LocoSam, Living, CalmWind or Sparkyd, Valandil, ShinI or XMorphX.

One must also consider not only whether they're the best representative of the path, but whether they're the best visual representation. This is for drawings, mind you, not for a Hall of Fame plaque.

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Oct 22 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #34

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

It has been a while, but it is time for old SS to reply to DM again... *waits for all the groans to stop.. a day later*

For the most part, I do agree with you. ~ALL~ paths have gone through "many re-interpretations", as you said, throughout the years. No path is exempt from that. New walkers, guides, elder, blood in general, all bring in new ideas as time goes on. For better or worse. No path is how it used to be, so picking anybody as a poster-boy for a picture to represent path should be based on how the path currently is, not whatever former glory it used to be.

If it wasn't for that, I would say you would have made a great rep for the Chongun, based on how they used to be. Despite any issues we may have had. That goes for many of the names that have been listed. With that said, with all that has been said and done with those listed people, it is how they are viewed today that I was referring to when I made my last post. As unfortunate as it is, when it comes to history, people more often remember the negative more than the positive, which overshadows most of anything they ever accomplished.

Laren, depending on the artist, anybody can be made into a good visual rep. In this case, Killeh's pictures have been great thus far, so no real need to worry on that. She even made Winder look half decent, and that is an accomplishment in itself ;p

As for Killeh's votes, my picks are:
LocoSam, Everclear, SparkyD (would have picked LrdDrkMoon personally), no vote on Hyun Moo (since I dont really seem any of them much), and Shini.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Killeh
post Oct 22 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #35

Il san
Group Icon

(Italicized ones are the ones who are representing the path. If you really don't want that person that won to represent, please say something now or forever hold your peace. Meanwhile, I'm probably going to pick the ones with the most votes for the rest)

Warrior:

- Barbarian: Winder

- Chung Ryong: SparkyD

- Do: Charmie

- Chongun: SilentS

Poet:

- Druid: Healerofdoom

Hyun Moo:
spinkns, Negai, Gemballa x2,

- Monk: Berig

- Muse: Lokira (make her look goddessy)

Mage:

- Diviner: Sarina

- Geomancer: Leodaris (show with tree and butterfly on shoulder)

- Jujak: Tonberry

- Shaman: Hooje

Rogue:

Baekho:
Triplekia, SxyMail, Castleberry, ShinI x2,
dj, XMorphX,

- Merchant: Living

- Ranger: Riadora

- Spy: Chongun

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Oct 22 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #36

Oh san
Group Icon

If that's the list to choose from then....

QUOTE (Killeh @ Oct 22 2010, 07:34 PM) *
---------------------------------------------------
Barbarian:
Wimp, XItachiX, LocoSam, Winder

Wimp.

Merchant:
Warik, Everclear, Living

Everclear.

Chung Ryong:
Calmwind, SourApple, YangZ,
BWENARU, KaNaK, SparkyD

CalmWind.

Hyun Moo:
spinkns, Negai, Gemballa,

Valandil.

Baekho:
Triplekia, SxyMail, Castleberry, ShinI,
dj, XMorphX,

ShinI.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 22 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #37

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 574
Characters: Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehovah... And Satan.

QUOTE (Killeh @ Oct 22 2010, 08:49 PM) *
(Italicized ones are the ones who are representing the path. If you really don't want that person that won to represent, please say something now or forever hold your peace. Meanwhile, I'm probably going to pick the ones with the most votes for the rest)

Warrior:
- Chung Ryong: SparkyD

I think that Ixeus (or Yttrbium, as he's currently known), out of all possible candidates, should represent the Chung Ryong NPC path.

SparkyD doesn't really represent the path itself, he's just an old and notable player and would probably be viewed and act the same regardless of his path. It just so happens that he is C. Ryong. I wouldn't say he really plays the part of someone infused with the power of a warrior dragon totem's spirit. Ixeus, however, is as close to ideal as you can get. Granted, he wasn't particularly skilled at PK, but he more than makes up for it with the knowledge that he puts into what it takes to maximize efficiecy, which is something that I believe a C. Ryong would value highly -- what it takes to kill something and how best to do it.

Ergo, I move to replace SparkyD with Yttrbium (or however you spell it).

--------------------
I'm too legit. Ask your nieces and your nephews, I'm the shhh... Be quiet! Cursing's not allowed.

+Quote Post
Killeh
post Oct 22 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #38

Il san
Group Icon

You guys have to remember I need to be able to get a good screenshot of the person. If they don't play anymore, it makes it really hard to get one. Sometimes I just snap photos of people if I like their outfits, but meh. The people I have posted are people that had the highest votes (I had quite a few nmail votes too) and most also had my vote as well. I'm willing to replace SparkyD if you like, but you need to supply me a screenshot of Ytterbium

+Quote Post
Laren
post Oct 22 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #39

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 70

You can see Ixeus at http://www.winterhome.net/ixeus/index.htm. He's the one making all of the attacks in the screenshots. Someone might have a more recent one of Ix or Yttr.

+Quote Post
Kensi
post Oct 23 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #40

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 5,521

Here's my love:

Do: Monchichi, BeautyBeast
Merchant: LeAnnder, Miroshi
Muse: ChangMin
Chongun: Tadachi, BooMeR
Monk: Greta, LiShen
Geomancer: Quellious
Spy: Rubicant, Eibach
Druid: Xenic
Diviner: Muckish

NPC'ers: ...They all look the same to me. tongue.gif
Just kidding, I really, really liked STOMP (Baekho).

All of these folks, and many, many, many more that didn't immediately recall themselves on this list have parts of myself that belong to them, for sure. They are what made TK for me; two or three on this list are some of my favorite people on the planet, and I've (likely) never met them before.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:26 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.