Songa
post Aug 4 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #1

Il san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 330
Characters: Songa

Because this forum is full of the same arguments over and over, I wanted to discuss something fun. What, for you, was a fun aspect of the game? For me it was the spontaneous moments in which muses would mess around with each other. I remember one particular muse, Sakuyo (or something along those lines), would log in and just start messing with people. She'd just have fun and a lot of the times, we would run around to events or just somewhere random and mess around. I remember her messing with everyone and how she made the untouchable people seem approachable. Another memory is being in Sun Moon Clan and boss hunting. We'd all gather up and just have a blast. These moments were a thousand times better than the planned events to me. It was never anything super important, it was just fun.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 4 2016, 07:54 PM
Post #2

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

The beginnings of the Barbarian and Chongun rivalries was pretty thrilling. As best I can remember it started out about the same time the Barbarians picked up their 'townie' gimmick (based on something the Sonhi soldiers in KaMing's Encampment used to say) when some Barbarians picked on some Chonguns in the Vale, with the Barbarians essentially claiming it was their territory. I and other Chonguns rallied to our brethren, and we'd get into fierce PVP brawls. I still remember leaving hunts with my party to go fight a Barbarian named Gogeta who was a frequent aggressor.

Though, there were some Barbarians who through our clashes we came to develop mutual respect. MPython and Vexi are the names I can remember right now.

The whole thing ended up getting coordinated between the paths into official battles in the Vale with the whole Chongun path Vs. the entire Barbarian path. After that the community started to get involved, having people show up to disrupt the battles and taking sides. It started to get out of hand then as Barbarian RP turned more toward becoming abusive event disruptors and Chonguns went through a series of identity crises that diverted the path away from the original rp of honorable knightly warriors and more toward shamans, diplomats and scholars. This left the Barbarians rather unchecked by any specific group -- the militias tried to pick up on the act but the reality is nobody in the militias had the stats to give any meaningful resistance to Barbarians in the Vale.

( the reason I never joined the Buya or Kugnea armies was because I have always felt they were never interested in any meaningful defense of players because they did not form PVP units. I briefly joined the recently created Nagnang Army because they formed one, but a certain scandal led to the ousting of the general who had brought me in. After that it transformed into another nonsense group just like the other militias, so I left. )

By that point I was no longer in the Chonguns due to my....eh, well known disagreements with the direction it went, but I still got involved in some of the PVP situations, coming to the aid of Chonguns who whispered me for assistance and such. I still remember spending my Halloween nights camping Vale at the spot people got warped to, fighting a bunch of PVP trolls who used Mingken rez to repeatedly wear down people's durability using Rage to bust items, taking advantage of the fact Gateway was removed from people who got warped to Vale.

Poor game design led to injustices like that, and it was only by self-policing could justice be restored. The problem of course meant we had to spend the entire night camping a single spot in the Vale to protect people from a handful of trolls. I still think it was time well spent though.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
Krmit
post Aug 5 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #3

Enchanted

Member No.: 234

QUOTE (darkmaverick @ Aug 4 2016, 08:54 PM) *
The beginnings of the Barbarian and Chongun rivalries was pretty thrilling. As best I can remember it started out about the same time the Barbarians picked up their 'townie' gimmick (based on something the Sonhi soldiers in KaMing's Encampment used to say) when some Barbarians picked on some Chonguns in the Vale, with the Barbarians essentially claiming it was their territory. I and other Chonguns rallied to our brethren, and we'd get into fierce PVP brawls. I still remember leaving hunts with my party to go fight a Barbarian named Gogeta who was a frequent aggressor.

Though, there were some Barbarians who through our clashes we came to develop mutual respect. MPython and Vexi are the names I can remember right now.

The whole thing ended up getting coordinated between the paths into official battles in the Vale with the whole Chongun path Vs. the entire Barbarian path. After that the community started to get involved, having people show up to disrupt the battles and taking sides. It started to get out of hand then as Barbarian RP turned more toward becoming abusive event disruptors and Chonguns went through a series of identity crises that diverted the path away from the original rp of honorably knightly warriors and more toward shamans, diplomats and scholars. This left the Barbarians rather unchecked by any specific group -- the militias tried to pick up on the act but the reality is nobody in the militias had the stats to give any meaningful resistance to Barbarians in the Vale.

( the reason I never joined the Buya or Kugnea armies was because I have always felt they were never interested in any meaningful defense of players because they did not form PVP units. I briefly joined the recently created Nagnang Army because they formed one, but a certain scandal led to the ousting of the general who had brought me in. After that it transformed into another nonsense group just like the other militias, so I left. )

By that point I was no longer in the Chonguns due to my....eh, well known disagreements with the direction it went, but I still got involved in some of the PVP situations, coming to the aid of Chonguns who whispered me for assistance and such. I still remember spending my Halloween nights camping Vale at the spot people got warped to, fighting a bunch of PVP trolls who used Mingken rez to repeatedly wear down people's durability using Rage to bust items, taking advantage of the fact Gateway was removed from people who got warped to Vale.

Poor game design led to injustices like that, and it was only by self-policing could justice be restored. The problem of course meant we had to spend the entire night camping a single spot in the Vale to protect people from a handful of trolls. I still think it was time well spent though.

I do remember this as i was a part of it also from my side. What a great time we basically would bum rush, as a group, any people in vale or sire (back when mythic vale and west gate buya vale, even ka ming east vale) used to have a plethora of PVP'ers that would always hang out there. Then when someone would kill us, it became a path thing, you would whisper every single person possible to come help and they would turn into full on engagements. Those were great times, and totally not even scripted, the rivalry occurred very naturally over the course of many years.

Its unfortunate that some would really abuse the game mechanics we had to be disruptive (ie pushing) however, there is no abuse these days because most people now are more mature than we were in our adolescent years with a spell literally too strong for its time. On the other hand though, i remember when there would be the bandito's who would block doors, to everywhere in the kingdoms just to troll people. I would sit there and push them away for hours until they left, and get requests all day long for me to move door and cave blockers.

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Aug 5 2016, 12:39 PM
Post #4

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

Another moment would be when someone (I think it was Beanbag?) registered 'Zibong' as a new character name and due to a glitch discovered that he had logged in as the old event character data for Zibong -- which apparently had been given full administration powers. He then summoned a [Content removed] ton of dragon enemies inside one of the Koguryo inns -- and then he started summoning Tiger palace bosses.

Mind you, this is back when the average 99 player didn't even have Il san stats let alone the Il san mark. I don't think Ee san had even been released yet.

So consequently there was a fierce battle inside the inn with all the top players in the game trying to kill these dragons and tiger palace bosses.

The majority of the players didn't know why Zibong had appeared again and summoned a bunch of enemies in the inns. People were hella pissed because there was death piles everywhere and a lot of people got their items jacked because they couldn't get back inside the inn without instantly dying. There was an assumption it was an event until.....

...a few days later Grin got hacked and then summoned a ton of tutor enemies in the Buya Warrior training hall....and then a bunch of of ice beasts EVERYWHERE in Buya. Like seriously, that had to have been at least 20 or 30 of these nigh unkillable things the hacker summoned at all the gates and even in random places around the map. I remember Hroth teleported me and a bunch of the other highest stat characters who were online (mind you, I think I was super wasabi stats at the time and only people like CalmWind, SueW, LadySatin and Mountie were in a league of their own) over to the ice beasts so we could wittle down their health with attacks. I managed to help kill 2 of them by having Mages and Rogues Confuse / Amnesia and then zap the beast to make it target them while I boxed the ice beast into the entrance to unused caves in the lower West of the town map. Ice beasts had been designed to be nigh unkillable because they had high -AC and extremely high Vitality, along with the ability to 1 shot a character.

The ice beasts at the North gate of Buya wrecked havoc until they got trapped in front of Sute's cave. I think CalmWind focused on the ones at the North gate while Mountie got the ones at east gate. The rest of them got taken down by assorted people like me who just ganged up them, Warriors and Rogues taking turns blasting them with attacks while moving back and forth with the ice beasts trapped in pathways.

All while this was going on, I have no idea what the GMs were doing. At the time the Archons didn't have any kind of spells for summoning monsters or dealing attacks; all they could do is summon players and rez them. Although I think I also remember Hroth silencing everyone at north gate Buya so he could tell them to stay out of CalmWind's way LOL

Both events happened in the afternoon so one can only assume the GMs were at work.

If I recall correctly Nexon never acknowledged that Grin / Zibong had been hacked. Anyone who lost stuff from these incidents didn't get anything recovered. I could be blurring timelines here but I think they tried to pass it off like it was the start of an event which brought about the God War between Grin and Kismet.

Yet, I think I distinctly recall that while Grin had been hacked the guy playing him had posted on the boards that he'd hacked Grin.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
Songa
post Aug 6 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Il san
Group Icon

I remember [Content removed] like that happening a lot. More recently sometimes you'd see archons interacting but very rarely. I was young at the time so the memory is hazy, but I remember an archon randomly coming into the rogue guild to change their gender. It was very surreal for me, especially since they seemed nice? I don't know, it was so random lol. More recently I remember how mug would randomly come into the muse circle and summon a bunch of goats. It was weird though because he never really talked. He just came in, summoned a ton of goats, and sit in a corner while nobody said anything. Made me feel like there was a conversation going on that I wasn't privy to. Speaking of, I remember before we had subpath chat you had to group people. You could only group like 10 or something so it was basically a test to see if you were Cool Enough.

+Quote Post
YanDaMan
post Aug 9 2016, 09:52 AM
Post #6

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 184
Characters: YanDaMan, YanTheMan

Me and Songa making out with our SNES sprites were obviously the best moments~

--------------------
lol @ u

+Quote Post
Songa
post Aug 11 2016, 07:32 AM
Post #7

Il san
Group Icon

QUOTE (YanDaMan @ Aug 9 2016, 10:52 AM) *
Me and Songa making out with our SNES sprites were obviously the best moments~

You know me, gotta get that pixel love. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:45 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.