IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Connecting Behind A Schools Firewall, Merged with: Nexus Blocked From School but All Other Games Ok?
Brant
post Nov 11 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #41

Sa san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 921

QUOTE (Bascote @ Nov 10 2008, 10:46 PM) *
Hey guys,

We have two connections at school, our guest connection has blocked many services related to games apparently but our main, encrypted connection allows me to login to many games. For some reason, though, NexusTK is one of the only games that I have that I cannot connect to.

The first time I launched the game I got all the way up to the create a new character screen but was disconnected before I could login. Now I can get to the main screen (New, Continue, Leave, etc) but it now IMMEDIATELY goes to the "Reconnect or Leave" dialog.

Any idea if theres a way I can get past this, Im hoping its not completely related to our network side of things and that theres something I can do on my side to get connected (of course on the same laptop it works from home)

Quick little bit of info for you.

1: The 'guest' connection only allows connections on port '80' which is the port used for http (aka internet browsing). This keeps the connection extremely secure from outside users that the school doesn't want on the network

2: The encrypted connection requires school id/pass authorization, and therefore leaves the school with less liability. As for not being able to be connected to Nexus, I think it's become a very common occurrence on many college campus' now. I'm not sure if it's something KRU is doing unintentionally, or it really is just something on the school's side. Back about a year ago, I fought for months with the IT Department at my University about not being able to be connected, and even through my 'connections' on the board of directors -- it even got as far as the Network Administrator installing Nexus on his computer (Mind you I go to a school with over 40,000 students, big school) and it took him weeks to figure it out. It has to do with something in the firewall that many schools use. Since I'm not really too knowledgeable of University infrastructure once it leaves campus, I really don't know what their using, although it seems like it might be the same set up at many schools.

That being said, it's extremely unlikely that the issue can be fixed and you'll be able to play Nexus on the school's connection.

Also, read this: http://www.nexusforums.com/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=64957

Edit: Then again, if you can get to the log-in screen, it's possible that just the ports are being blocked, which has been a problem for players before that go to smaller schools.

Shoot your schools IT Department an e-mail asking if the ports on a few IPs are open. Give an explanation of why you want them to be open, as well as links to the Nexus website. If the ports being blocked is just the issue, you might have a better chance of getting on with the schools connection. If not, then you'll have to proxy your connection if you want to connect.

Also, the software that Topher posted earlier is shady as hell, I wouldn't recommend using it.

-Brant
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bascote
post Nov 11 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #42

Level 5

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 2,707

Thanks guys, I didnt expect this post to go too far but I still had my hopes and I received a lot more than I thought.

Back in high school I setup a proxy on my home desktop and I would connect through it as well as many of the students so we could use super nintendo emulators.

As for programs that are anything besides a web browser, I knew there must have been certain ports and/or services being blocked. NexusTK may be using a service or port that whomever designed the schools network infrastructure considered a threat and put a block on it.

I guess at this point I'll email them, at least I dont have to tell them in person where it probably wouldn't be taken as seriously.

Thanks guys.

As for Pingfu Iris, would it be the same as setting up an Apache 'server' on my home desktop and connecting through it to play Nexus?

+Quote Post
Bascote
post Nov 19 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #43

Level 5

I used PingFu iris, I don't think Nexus liked it, I got disconnected with a message that said "You are being removed from Nexus now" LOL

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Nov 20 2008, 12:37 AM
Post #44

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

That message often comes up when you lag out, no matter what connection you are on.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Bascote
post Nov 20 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #45

Level 5

You're right, later I found I was able to connect and play with Pingfu Iris fine. I started searching for a free HTTP Tunneling software instead now (Pingfu is free trial only) so I found one, I don't have the name with me now but I still need to get it configured. I should be able to look at Kru's support site and find the ports to "forward" (but really they are being tunneled) and theoretically I think that should work.. If anyone is interested I'll keep ya posted.

+Quote Post
Cillian
post Nov 20 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #46

Level 5

Member No.: 11,404

Sure, keep me posted

I tried to play Nexus in college and got the same kind of issue, went to talk to the IT guy and he was like "that's a low priority for us right now"

They still haven't found his body.

+Quote Post
Vini
post Nov 20 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #47

Head Editor of Nexus Atlas
Group Icon

Group: Head Administrator
Member No.: 21
Characters: Vini

I find this topic really interesting. I think it is good for people to discuss ways on how to help each other break college limitations and help other nexus players get back to our realm. Really nice of you to bring this up Bascote, hope this will continue being a great topic. =)

--------------------
~Vini Normad'or~

+Quote Post
Brant
post Nov 20 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #48

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 921

QUOTE (Vini @ Nov 20 2008, 09:48 AM) *
I find this topic really interesting. I think it is good for people to discuss ways on how to help each other break college limitations and help other nexus players get back to our realm. Really nice of you to bring this up Bascote, hope this will continue being a great topic. =)

Milli started this same exact thread over a month ago. I posted a huge walk through for a solid fix for the issue.

-Brant

+Quote Post
Vini
post Nov 20 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #49

Head Editor of Nexus Atlas
Group Icon

Group: Head Administrator
Member No.: 21
Characters: Vini

Thanks for pointing that out Brant and good job on helping people still be able to play nexus from college.
I merged the two topics into one, hopefulyl to keep it alive and next time a person has such doubt, they'll know how to proceed with it. =)

--------------------
~Vini Normad'or~

+Quote Post
Bascote
post Nov 20 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #50

Level 5

Okay,

The client I downloaded is called HTTP-Tunnel and I haven't had a chance to set it up while at school you but I will let you know.

One thing I did back in high school though, in our boring intro to computers class, is set up an apache "server" at home (I can't remember the name of the application it was probably apache server or something, I know it had apache in it). From there I connected from school "through" my home connection and before you knew it, we were all playing Sunset Riders on a Super Nintendo Emulator though the LAN -_^

Now if HTTP-Tunnel works, it should eliminate the need for a second computer which would be awesome. KRU already tells us which IPs and ports need to be unblocked so if I can 'tunnel' those through this program it 'should' work I'd think.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:33 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.