Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nexusatlas Posts
Read the post below before voting
No really, read the first post in this thread first
I read the post [ 48 ] ** [88.89%]
I vote on things too spontaneously [ 6 ] ** [11.11%]
Did Rachel's post belong on the front page?
Yes [ 27 ] ** [50.00%]
No, it should be on the forums [ 17 ] ** [31.48%]
No, it should be in its own NA section [ 3 ] ** [5.56%]
It should have been different (Explain) [ 2 ] ** [3.70%]
Unsure/Mixed feelings [ 1 ] ** [1.85%]
Don't care/Other [ 4 ] ** [7.41%]
Would ANY posts of this nature belong? Topics could be about roleplay, events, overall game direction, or anything else
Yes [ 31 ] ** [57.41%]
No [ 11 ] ** [20.37%]
Only if readers approve of or vote on the topics in advance [ 4 ] ** [7.41%]
Unsure/Mixed feelings [ 5 ] ** [9.26%]
Don't care/Other [ 3 ] ** [5.56%]
What is the -LEAST- important news topic to you?
Server resets, Upgrades, Events [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Position changes like Elder, Primogen [ 12 ] ** [22.22%]
Kruna updates [ 21 ] ** [38.89%]
Nexus bugs/fixes [ 1 ] ** [1.85%]
Editorials [ 5 ] ** [9.26%]
Misc. Speculation (Like Ally's post this month) [ 11 ] ** [20.37%]
Other (Post it!) [ 4 ] ** [7.41%]
What's the -MOST- important news topic to you?
Server resets, Upgrades, Events [ 43 ] ** [79.63%]
Position changes like Elder, Primogen [ 1 ] ** [1.85%]
Kruna updates [ 1 ] ** [1.85%]
Nexus bugs/fixes [ 2 ] ** [3.70%]
Editorials [ 2 ] ** [3.70%]
Misc. Speculation (Like Ally's post this month) [ 2 ] ** [3.70%]
Other (Post it!) [ 3 ] ** [5.56%]
Did you agree with the opinions in the post?
Yes [ 18 ] ** [33.33%]
No [ 5 ] ** [9.26%]
I agreed with the basic idea, but not the solutions to the problem [ 21 ] ** [38.89%]
Don't care/other [ 10 ] ** [18.52%]
Total Votes: 54
Guests cannot vote 
Laren
post Sep 24 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #21

Sam san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 70

QUOTE(Musoyan @ Sep 24 2008, 08:46 AM) [snapback]62163[/snapback]

I'm still waiting to hear a valid reason for why this is an issue now when opinionated posts have been posted since like 2002 when NexusAtlas started? Six years later people start complaining.. as I said before, and i'll say it again, find something new to whine about.

It's an issue now because Rachel asked whether people liked it or not. I guess she learned not to do that again. =P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Sep 24 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #22

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

It was also an issue in the past. Not to mention some reporters got chewed out and/or fired for doing the very same thing Rachel did. So this is nothing new, not even the complaining part. The only difference is Rachel asked for our opinions this time around.

Address the issue, fine. But to make use of the front page to give your opinions, biased or not, and give personal ideas is not the way to go. Rokugo's post sums it up nicely.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Vortextk
post Sep 24 2008, 12:51 PM
Post #23

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,757
Characters: Frog

Where's all this animosity when it comes to game matters? Take frustrations and problems where they need to go.

--------------------
IPB Image
Pandemonium Frog My Progress
Warriors; so easy a caveman could do it.

+Quote Post
Musoyan
post Sep 24 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #24

Exasperating
Group Icon

Member No.: 543
Characters: Musoyen

QUOTE(SilentS @ Sep 24 2008, 01:33 PM) [snapback]62186[/snapback]
It was also an issue in the past. Not to mention some reporters got chewed out and/or fired for doing the very same thing Rachel did. So this is nothing new, not even the complaining part. The only difference is Rachel asked for our opinions this time around.

Address the issue, fine. But to make use of the front page to give your opinions, biased or not, and give personal ideas is not the way to go. Rokugo's post sums it up nicely.

I don't remember it being a issue in the past. The only time I remember someone being fired was when that guy posted a picture of a fake event character.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 24 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #25

Oh san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 85
Characters: Rachel

I'm not going into detail over who was fired for what.. but as far as I remember, no reporter were ever fired for editorials or opinionated posts.

Anyhow, based on the responses to this poll so far, with about 60% saying the post was fine and 67% saying some kinds of editorials would be acceptable, (Not to mention the fact that only 2 people said that editorials are the least important kind of news we post) you will probably see some kind of editorials in the future. Though, just to make sure enough people have responded to this thread, I'll probably link to in on the main page.

40% said Kruna is least important, but last time we asked if we shouldn't post about Kruna updates, it was about 50/50. So if the least important news we post is valid, then I guess everything else is?

--------------------
Work continues on the continuation of the Story

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Sep 24 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #26

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

1-1-1-6-5-4.

Stop acting like Nexus Atlas is supposed to be unbiased like the media. Its a [Content removed]ing fan site of a small time MMO that a handful of people care about. What a joke.

-Falaris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerdi
post Sep 24 2008, 07:48 PM
Post #27

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 388

QUOTE(Falaris @ Sep 24 2008, 07:41 PM) [snapback]62258[/snapback]

1-1-1-6-5-4.

Stop acting like Nexus Atlas is supposed to be unbiased like the media. Its a [Content removed]ing fan site of a small time MMO that a handful of people care about. What a joke.
-Falaris

rofl I know right

+Quote Post
Conro
post Sep 24 2008, 11:07 PM
Post #28

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1
Characters: None, Sold my chars.

I headed NexusAtlas for a while, and I've never fired anyone for posting their opinion, especially if it was backed with fact and sanctioned by the owners of the website.

I've only ever officially fired one person, HealingLight, for not checking sources, falsifying information as his own find, then lying about it.

--------------------
Come join me FFXIV! Conro Sith on Leviathan

.: Marauder Conro :. Guardian PoyoMan Force MythicalBank Rogue Lucca

"I'm not the nicest person you'll ever meet" - Chongun
"Bulbasaur beats EVERYTHING!!!"

+Quote Post
KarmaliZe
post Sep 25 2008, 12:17 AM
Post #29

Content Editor

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 968
Characters: KarmaliZe

Come on guys. What does it really matter? Look at Nexusatlas frontpage now, compared to 3-5 years ago, hell even 2 years ago.

Right now, the frontpage gets a "new" news hit once a week (thursday). Thats a given because that is "update day". But wow, nexusatlas used to post once or more a day! Editorials, things happening in the lands, ROLEPLAY events, etc. Now, unless there is an event or kruna update there is no frontpage news. No one does editorials anymore, no one covers smaller RP events that are the FOUNDATION for the larger ones. Small roleplay events, are usually preimptive to large GM supported RP events.

Hell, I liked the editoral on the wilderness pact, only thing is, no one finished it. No one carried it on, no one updated it. Nothing on the "Hanged men". Nothing on any of that. People would be more into the roleplay and more keen on "whats going on" if those things still happened. However, they just dont.

Finally, as a past staff member (still help out every now and again) <3 Ally, this site is a fan site. This stie was made to aid you in quests, chooing new armor, spells, items, and more. What people forget is, TS also pushed so hard for this site and worked so hard on it for so long because, not only did it aid you in those things, but it helped you keep up in the times. It helped people who werent regged keep up and some to come back. It helped honor people in the game for hard work. Hell, I remember when NA used to post congrats to new guides of SPs! New tutors! New Judges! Wow? What have we lost? Where is our culture?

Damn guys, quit whining over spilled milk and get a damn towel and help clean it up!

-KarmaliZe

--------------------

.:Nature's Guide
.:Nangen Ministry Ambassador
.:Kugnae Mage Tutor
.:Pegasus Arch Benefactor (Founding Member)
.:Geomancer of Sarcasm
.:Carnage Host (Riches Division)
.:Retired too many to list... haha!
The Geomancer Family!

+Quote Post
Adam
post Sep 25 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #30

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 574
Characters: Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehovah... And Satan.

Post what the problem is, as long as the majority agrees with you.

Do not post your own personal solutions to said problem.

--------------------
I'm too legit. Ask your nieces and your nephews, I'm the shhh... Be quiet! Cursing's not allowed.

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Sep 27 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #31

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Retired Administrator
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(Rachel @ Sep 23 2008, 11:05 PM) [snapback]62119[/snapback]

So.. to the 3 who said there should never be editorials like this, but didn't say that Editorials are the least important news topic.. You think Position changes and Kruna updates are even worse than editorials?

And if that's so, what SHOULD we post when there are no server updates, upgrades, or events to post about?

Absolutely we should allow editorials. When I first started reading NA the editorials were the things I most appreciated. They gave me a basis for testing solutions for my problems. Like editorials anywhere, you are welcome to agree or disagree. You can always post a poll about an editorial. NA reporters should be very careful NOT to flame at all but making an editorial about a strongly debated game issue is valid. Many "editorials" come from discussions from game boards and forum posts.

** my stupid post....I typically do those when the news is too slow. A bug with Coranto is if we have no news in a 7 day period it screws up the archiving of the news. So if the 7 day limit gets close I will usually post something even if it is stupid. On the other hand, many of my miscellaneous posts are made because I have information that relates but that I don't have permission to speak about openly. View them as very vague hints of something that will happen soon.

QUOTE(KarmaliZe @ Sep 25 2008, 12:17 AM) [snapback]62312[/snapback]

Come on guys. What does it really matter? Look at Nexusatlas frontpage now, compared to 3-5 years ago, hell even 2 years ago.

Right now, the frontpage gets a "new" news hit once a week (thursday). Thats a given because that is "update day". But wow, nexusatlas used to post once or more a day! Editorials, things happening in the lands, ROLEPLAY events, etc. Now, unless there is an event or kruna update there is no frontpage news. No one does editorials anymore, no one covers smaller RP events that are the FOUNDATION for the larger ones. Small roleplay events, are usually preimptive to large GM supported RP events.

Hell, I liked the editoral on the wilderness pact, only thing is, no one finished it. No one carried it on, no one updated it. Nothing on the "Hanged men". Nothing on any of that. People would be more into the roleplay and more keen on "whats going on" if those things still happened. However, they just dont.

Finally, as a past staff member (still help out every now and again) <3 Ally, this site is a fan site. This stie was made to aid you in quests, chooing new armor, spells, items, and more. What people forget is, TS also pushed so hard for this site and worked so hard on it for so long because, not only did it aid you in those things, but it helped you keep up in the times. It helped people who werent regged keep up and some to come back. It helped honor people in the game for hard work. Hell, I remember when NA used to post congrats to new guides of SPs! New tutors! New Judges! Wow? What have we lost? Where is our culture?

Damn guys, quit whining over spilled milk and get a damn towel and help clean it up!

-KarmaliZe

All of our reporters are to be commended for the work they do. I'm sure if a reporter had more time to spend they could follow up on all news stories. It'd be great if we had a reporter who could be online to capture all of the stuff going on but that person doesn't exist!

The staff has made a conscious decision NOT to post new appointments of guides, tutors, archons, judges, etc. because of negative feedback we've gotten. The exception is that people seem to want to know about subpath elder changes. We don't post changes in clan leaders either. We try to give people the information they want and refrain from reporting stuff you don't want to see - which means the news section is dull at times.

PS - I've never fired anyone but I have removed accounts for people who become inactive. NA can always use help but most people only want to be reporters so the reporting staff is usually complete.

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
KarmaliZe
post Sep 28 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #32

Content Editor

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 968
Characters: KarmaliZe

I know that ally, thats not what Im saying at all. You guys do a great job posting news. But, you guys dont do as many editoials as you used to, you dont follow smaller genre RP events and you dont cover as much as you used to. That was my point. Not that the staff wasnt doing their job.

Ive worked on NA/NF, I know what goes on here, I know everyone works hard and I know everyone puts in a great deal of effort/time on the site. Hell, how many HOURS did WE sit online swapping things, from old to new graphics? How long do you spend making maps? How long did we spend getting boss graphics in tutor hall?

NA staff spends a great deal of time, makes alot of sacrifices to do the EXTRA work that is required to "run" the website. I commend everyone for that. I would just like to see more editorials. I would like to see smaller RP events covered. I know of THREE small RP events going on RIGHT NOW, that are small now, BUT, have GM support coming in the next few weeks. Thats the point of my post you missed. Rather than everyone backtracking and asking one another "whats happened" and why, they could just read about it on here like we all used to.

-KarmaliZe
(and if you need help, message me - you know for a fact, I have never turned you down for anything)

--------------------

.:Nature's Guide
.:Nangen Ministry Ambassador
.:Kugnae Mage Tutor
.:Pegasus Arch Benefactor (Founding Member)
.:Geomancer of Sarcasm
.:Carnage Host (Riches Division)
.:Retired too many to list... haha!
The Geomancer Family!

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Sep 28 2008, 04:01 PM
Post #33

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Retired Administrator
Member No.: 3

Oooh I didn't say what I meant apparently. Our current reporting staff does what they can but we don't have anyone who can keep up with "minor" things like what's going on with the subpaths. Not that that is really minor. We used to have reporters just for subpath news but they fell to the way side and quit doing their jobs. That's what I meant to say.

If anyone wants to be a reporter for subpaths, contact Vini, News Chief.

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Sep 28 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #34

Oh san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 85
Characters: Rachel

QUOTE(KarmaliZe @ Sep 28 2008, 08:35 AM) [snapback]62985[/snapback]

I know that ally, thats not what Im saying at all. You guys do a great job posting news. But, you guys dont do as many editoials as you used to, you dont follow smaller genre RP events and you dont cover as much as you used to. That was my point. Not that the staff wasnt doing their job.

I know of THREE small RP events going on RIGHT NOW, that are small now, BUT, have GM support coming in the next few weeks. Thats the point of my post you missed. Rather than everyone backtracking and asking one another "whats happened" and why, they could just read about it on here like we all used to.

I don't pay attention to boring, poorly written, pre-scripted "events" run by small circles of players who don't venture out into the game enough to know what people think is interesting, especially when the GM doesn't think they're worth mentioning on Dream Weaver, Whispering Winds, or the game's website. When the GM doesn't think they're worth mentioning in said venues, I do assume that they're the kinds of events that I described above. (Or possibly, I might never hear of their existence)

Some people may be interested in such things, so we tried to create a new section of news for it. It isn't fair if you only cover events from one or two groups, and the main page isn't big enough to handle all of that crap along with what I like to call the real news. But even after a few people were hired, stories weren't being written, which meant that the page wasn't checked by readers much.

If editorials are done too frequently, I think they tend to lose their weight. Plus, there's dozens of problems in the game, but only one person who works on fixing them. The framework from my post on path balance came from a letter that I was going to submit both as a ticket and an n-mail, but I never sent it, since Mug mentioned that he was making "Path balance" a priority before releasing Sa san.

Then this rogue change came along and it appeared as if that was the only change that was going to be made. The change made ZERO affect on path balance. But if that was it, I might not have posted about it on the main page like that (At least not so quickly). The posts on the game boards were what did it. Not only were people were posting en masse, but I was hearing about posts on the topic being deleted and that's what finalized it for me.

--------------------
Work continues on the continuation of the Story

+Quote Post
AwesomePaul
post Sep 29 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #35

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 465
Characters: Seferoth, AwesomePaul

My viewpoint is very simple. The editors can post whatever they want. If you don't agree with what they say, don't read it. If you think you can do better, start writing articles for the website. It's a fan site, ran by people who play the game. You're not paying Kru for that site, if you want official news, nexustk.com

--------------------

-Epic Fail-

I'm a Medulla fan, but she has no banner!

+Quote Post
Michike
post Oct 1 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #36

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 78

Yes editorials of this type adressing issues that affect a large part of the player-base should be made from time to time and yes they belong on the front page. The whole point of this is to catch attention. If an editorial like this is buried on a second click it would hardly get half the attention it did. I don't think that Rachel values her opinion over others and I could even imagine that if people submitted an editorial worth to write about on the front page that it got accepted and posted.

I don't agree with (all of) the proposed solutions but does that really matter ?

As far as the staff goes. Some people were out of line. When people are asked to voice their opinion, you let them, you don't ask them to comply to company policy. When you post as a staffer, your voice catches more attention because you somehow are associated with the website, like it or not. All those staffers managed to do is create a stalinistic image for NA and NF.

--------------------
Michike Kamiyama R.I.P.
QUOTE (Alston @ Feb 15 2010, 04:12 PM) *
Nexus is a big example of how most governmental systems work (with a few differences, of course).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:30 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.