IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Politics And Roleplay
Politics and Roleplay
Are you, yourself, an active roleplayer in the Nexus community?
Yes [ 39 ] ** [58.21%]
No, but I used to be [ 20 ] ** [29.85%]
No, I have never been an active roleplayer [ 8 ] ** [11.94%]
Are you, on any of your characters, in a position of leadership or influence?
Yes - Subpath related [ 23 ] ** [34.33%]
Yes - Government or justice related [ 4 ] ** [5.97%]
Yes - Unspecified [ 19 ] ** [28.36%]
No - Actively pursuing [ 6 ] ** [8.96%]
No - Undesired [ 8 ] ** [11.94%]
I do not currently roleplay [ 7 ] ** [10.45%]
Do you, or did you, as an influential person, perceive yourself to be "above" other players in any sort of way? Do be honest. (If you answered no to question two, select choice 4)
Yes, I worked hard to attain my position [ 6 ] ** [8.96%]
Yes, I am or was a leader and should be respected [ 8 ] ** [11.94%]
No, I may have held or hold a position but I pay $10 per month like everyone else [ 38 ] ** [56.72%]
I do not and did not hold a position of leadership or influence [ 15 ] ** [22.39%]
As a non-leader, do you perceive those in a higher position than you to hold the above perception? (If you answered yes to question 2, select choice 5)
All [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Many [ 13 ] ** [19.40%]
Some [ 14 ] ** [20.90%]
None [ 5 ] ** [7.46%]
I currently hold, or once held, a position of leadership or influence [ 35 ] ** [52.24%]
As a roleplayer, what is your primary motive?
Power [ 2 ] ** [2.99%]
Reputation [ 3 ] ** [4.48%]
Creativity [ 3 ] ** [4.48%]
Fun [ 15 ] ** [22.39%]
1 and 2 [ 6 ] ** [8.96%]
3 and 4 [ 28 ] ** [41.79%]
I do not roleplay [ 10 ] ** [14.93%]
Are you concerned that politics have become more important than fun in Nexus? Explain.
Yes [ 48 ] ** [71.64%]
No [ 19 ] ** [28.36%]
Total Votes: 67
Guests cannot vote 
Ishy
post Jul 16 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 1,548

Now I'm not one to usually complain, but over my time in Nexus as a subpath walker, I've observed a common pattern of behavior. It concerns me that players in Nexus are far more concerned with politics than they are about how fun the game is for other people both inside of their circles AND outside. I'd like to know if any of you share my observation along with your thoughts on the subject.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Erucolindo
post Jul 16 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #2

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 212
Characters: Erucolindo Darkath Isendier

The politics are out of control. I am one of the most tolerant people when it comes to leaders of various groups doing stupid things, and I'm not going to start reopening wounds, but there has been some REAL blatantly terrible decisions made from a purely political perspective, with no thought for the betterment of the leaders SP/clan/army.

However, without at least a moderate amount of politics, Nexus wouldn't be Nexus.

--------------------
Ambassador of the Buyan Imperial Army

"From the dawn of our species, Man has been blessed with curiosity. Our most precious gift, without exception, is the desire to know more - to look beyond what is accepted as the truth and to imagine what is possible."

IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mallard
post Jul 16 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #3

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,571
Characters: Mallard (RIP), FittyCoin (RIP), Sadiq, Wordsmith

I tend to agree with Eru, it's pretty sad when we have such terrible leaders out there making such terrible decisions, which is why this game needs guns... so that we can kill people PERMANENTLY fwahhaha... it never got done any other way in real life, sadly. I find my path to be a bit of a wild card though, as a Ranger Guide our upstairs circle is pretty tight knit and we all know eachother pretty well and have great communication with the elder so we aren't a very idiotic group and we make decisions that the whole path agrees on, but I know many groups such as carnages and clans that have made decisions based on one person's beliefs and that is just not right. also the whole deal with positions of power being passed to RL friends or just good in game friends, it's terrible and I've seen it done since the beginning of this game... that means eldership, archons, judges, everything. B> gun

--------------------
-Mallard

"The whistles go.... WOO WOO"

+Quote Post
Ishy
post Jul 16 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #4

Ee san
Group Icon

It's been interesting to read people's opinions, at least what few of them have offered them compared to the number of votes in the poll. Now just for clarification, it's not that I'm unhappy with any of it, it's just a concern based on certain experiences. Some of my reasons are purely selfish, but none have been enough to make me permanently resign my role from any subpath I may be a part of.

I agree that politics are, to a certain extent, what makes Nexus so special. Players in subpaths are a great and interesting feature, but at the same time, I have to wonder about people holding their positions too close to their hearts. A prime example I can think of is the ongoing battle between two certain subpaths, one of which I am a part of, over certain "roleplay privileges." However, with that sort of thing comes the drama we've seen exhibited time and time again within Nexus.

The question is, where is the line drawn between silly politics and roleplay freedom?

(Come on, people... 72+ votes and only two replies with explanations? The polls are anonymous. tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Halome
post Jul 17 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #5

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 81
Characters: Halome, Proserpine

I never saw myself as being higher than any of the Geomancer walkers. The only thing different I had was the ability to take their ideas and try to make them a reality through working closer with the GMs. To me Elder is just a messenger.... And occasional scapegoat for the community @.@

--------------------

QUOTE (YanDaMan @ May 8 2007, 08:21 AM) *
I'd be the best Pink ranger ever!

+Quote Post
Interstate
post Jul 17 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #6

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,663

ahahaha, "occasional scapegoat for community", so true halome =)

--------------------
Vicious Circle
Hater of haters
Anti-elitist elitist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwL65cvzK0s...feature=related

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Jul 17 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #7

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

First, my answers, then I will explain myself:

1.No, but I used to be
2. Yes - Subpath related (I was elder even though I am no longer in a position of power)
3. No, I may have held or hold a position but I pay $10 per month like everyone else
4. Many
5. Power
6. Yes

I'm sure people will laugh at my answer to number 3, but I do want to explain this. The person I am as everclear and my own personal ego do not affect how I actually view other players and whether they are above, below, or on the same level as I am as far as 'worth' in Nexus. Out of character, unless someone was morally bankrupt and attacked me or a friend of mine, I never thought less of them. Those who did turn on me or stab me in the back, I did put lower, but that isn't because I was elder but because of personal issues with them.

My personal feeling, as far as Merchants go, is that they should represent what they were back in the time and setting the game takes place in. Back then, Merchants were extremely wealthy and powerful and exuded this. Thusly, as Merchant elder, I tried to portray myself as extremely powerful, able to make or break important pacts and people. I acted the part (hopefully). I tried to dress lavishly and show off all the money I had purposely. This is why in roleplay, power was most important to me.

But any elder who was an elder with me will tell you, my first priority was to my path, and my second priority was to the community as a whole, always. I would continually bring up at meetings that the point of subpaths is to enrich the community and bring more to the game, and that because subpaths became greedy and inward they have fallen to where they are now. I would scorn other elders who were in it solely for the title and recognition and only cared about getting the most for themselves. I of course fought hard to get Merchants things, but only because I feel (and I think it is damn near factual at this point) that they have much less compared to all other paths. I never tried to overpower them with my requests even though I asked for a lot to catch them up in comparison to other paths.

If I was some crazy power-monger, I would have denied the Shaman subpath all Merchant services and started an all at war with them when Widget flew off the handle that I removed her undeserving Trustworthy Trader mark. Of course, the Gods intervened and it is somehow a 'right' to have positive marks now if you are an elder or something. I would have gladly kept my curse to keep her TT mark off because it was not rightfully given and it was a matter of principle. Instead, I refused to hold the Shaman subpath accountable and drag my path into a matter that did not concern the rest of them. I never berated my walkers or guides (one of whom was blood oath'd no less to a Shaman guide) and made them choose sides.

I think many of the elders ARE there for themselves and are greedy and don't care about the health of the game and this bothers me a lot. I think elders take on a greater role than simply being accountable for their path when they choose to be elder and accept the position. You become a community role model and you should reach out to the community. Even if you are an evil, dark witch, when it comes down to discussing the game out of character and the goals you are going for with it, they should benefit your path and community.

I am not saying it is wrong to enjoy the perks of being elder. I would have had more fun if I didn't have archons breathing down my neck after the whole Ilios thing and wasn't trying to get a good request for the path through. I think it is an elder's right after putting in their time as walker and guide and all the hell that comes with the job of elder to use the position to their advantage as well, but NEVER at the cost of their path.

I no longer roleplay specifically because of the politics and only play Nexus for elixir wars and goofing off and dressing like an idiot now. It is not fun because of the people who take it seriously and go off the deep end over this game. That I had to worry about not only shooing off archons and the GM but their mortals as well is flat out ridiculous, it is a completely unfair system and only an incompetent fool who has no right to be making the judgment in the first place would say the Merchant path is not worse off than the rest, yet they keep making excuses to screw a large number of players solely because of politics and relationships with the players who are members of that group. You will see me give no love to mug exactly for this reason, if you think this person is immune to being biased from the days before being 'mug' then you are mistaken.

It is really a shame that the game became all about cliques and not the fundamentals of roleplay from back in the days of Orb and even into the time of Grin a little bit. These reasons I bring up are the same reasons you see people like JaydePhoenix posting on this board about why they left and if you talked to many great roleplayers you would hear the same issues come up.

Things will not change though.

-Falaris

--------------------

+Quote Post
JaydePhoenix
post Jul 17 2007, 01:51 AM
Post #8

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 286
Characters: Currently? None.

I must agree on all points, Falaris.

Politics have been, and will continue to be the ruin of all things accomplished by sentient life.

My answers were:
1. No, but I used to be.
2. I do not currently roleplay. (..obviously laugh.gif )
3. No, I may have held or hold a position but I pay $10 per month like everyone else (As a matter of fact, I held more than one paid account under various names.)
4. Many
5. Creativity and Fun
6. Yes (See my statement on politics above)

--------------------
Surrender..
I know you're hiding here.
Come, my dear.
You can hide in the night,
while I'm waiting here.
All alone

+Quote Post
Abunai
post Jul 17 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #9

Enchanted

Member No.: 947
Characters: Abunai

If I was some crazy power-monger, I would have denied the Shaman subpath all Merchant services and started an all at war with them when Widget flew off the handle that I removed her undeserving Trustworthy Trader mark. Of course, the Gods intervened and it is somehow a 'right' to have positive marks now if you are an elder or something. I would have gladly kept my curse to keep her TT mark off because it was not rightfully given and it was a matter of principle. Instead, I refused to hold the Shaman subpath accountable and drag my path into a matter that did not concern the rest of them.

I actually had several discussions with Widget over this exact incident. The last of which involved me calling Widget a "selfish child", followed by my booting. Whoo for booting for personal reasons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Erucolindo
post Jul 17 2007, 07:42 AM
Post #10

Ee san
Group Icon

5 (but thought 3)
6 (but really 2 and 4 =p)

Those were my answers, most people who know me will understand them, and I think its pretty self-explanatory and harmless to everyone else. Unless any clarification is needed...

--------------------

"From the dawn of our species, Man has been blessed with curiosity. Our most precious gift, without exception, is the desire to know more - to look beyond what is accepted as the truth and to imagine what is possible."

IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Jul 17 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #11

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE(Abunai @ Jul 17 2007, 02:38 AM) [snapback]36800[/snapback]

I actually had several discussions with Widget over this exact incident. The last of which involved me calling Widget a "selfish child", followed by my booting. Whoo for booting for personal reasons.

Thank you for proving my point further. The only thing I told my path was a reaffirmation to not speak about what goes on inside our path outside of it.

You know whats really funny? Widget and some Shaman guides were discussing taking a road trip to my house and burning things into my lawn over it. What's scary though is that given the person we are talking about, they were actually serious about it.

blink.gif

-Falaris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Halome
post Jul 18 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #12

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 81
Characters: Halome, Proserpine

QUOTE(Falaris @ Jul 17 2007, 11:26 PM) [snapback]36857[/snapback]

You know whats really funny? Widget and some Shaman guides were discussing taking a road trip to my house and burning things into my lawn over it. What's scary though is that given the person we are talking about, they were actually serious about it.

blink.gif

-Falaris

lol Widget once said she would plot my demise and slit my throat all over me explaining there are shamanic roots in chinese geomancy. Poor lady is so defensive about her path sad.gif

--------------------

QUOTE (YanDaMan @ May 8 2007, 08:21 AM) *
I'd be the best Pink ranger ever!

+Quote Post
JaydePhoenix
post Jul 18 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #13

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 286
Characters: Currently? None.

Sounds like an 11 year old boy. (No offense to 11 year old boys with more maturity)

Perhaps what she (he?) really needs is a hug.

...or a severe pummeling.

--------------------
Surrender..
I know you're hiding here.
Come, my dear.
You can hide in the night,
while I'm waiting here.
All alone

+Quote Post
Erucolindo
post Jul 18 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #14

Ee san
Group Icon

or exiled...

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
FallenEngell
post Jul 18 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #15

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Banished
Member No.: 1,744

QUOTE(Erucolindo @ Jul 16 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]36757[/snapback]

The politics are out of control. I am one of the most tolerant people when it comes to leaders of various groups doing stupid things, and I'm not going to start reopening wounds, but there has been some REAL blatantly terrible decisions made from a purely political perspective, with no thought for the betterment of the leaders SP/clan/army.

However, without at least a moderate amount of politics, Nexus wouldn't be Nexus.

lol this is from the guy who sold me out so he could get a shot at Field Marshal then Colonel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Erucolindo
post Jul 18 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #16

Ee san
Group Icon

First of all, what the hell is Field Marshal? And second, I have no idea what sell out you are talking about. Last I heard you quit... I was never even in Field. Intel my whole time there... obviously YOU were not =p

Love you too Engell.

--------------------

IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
FallenEngell
post Jul 18 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #17

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Banished
Member No.: 1,744

QUOTE(Erucolindo @ Jul 18 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]36877[/snapback]

First of all, what the hell is Field Marshal? And second, I have no idea what sell out you are talking about. Last I heard you quit... I was never even in Field. Intel my whole time there... obviously YOU were not =p

Love you too Engell.

Field Marshal was a rank before your time smile.gif

You don't believe you sold me out because you buy into your own bull[Content removed].

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ishy
post Jul 18 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #18

Ee san
Group Icon

Speaking of the whole shaman v. merchant ordeal, red marking (and taking good marks away from "undeserving" people) is a primary target of the politics of which I speak. Since when did it become such a reason to grief? I think that red marks are a good addition to roleplay and freedom to use them is being ever taken away. Just play along, I say... If it brings flack to the path in question, what's the big deal? Subpaths are supposed to be the center of roleplay, thus I would expect every walker in every path to just play it off. Besides, most people don't play upon certain marks properly anyway, making them little more than ornamental...

As a side note... While I'm glad everyone is getting their true feelings out about certain people, I have to wonder what exactly all of that has to do with the idea of politics as related to roleplay freedom... It seems to me that for every real opinion, there are two or three rants about how "x person did this, and it made me angry." That's fine and dandy, but the purpose behind this thread wasn't really to grief about specific people. I was kind of hoping to focus on the bigger picture...

If there's reason to grief about specific people, then at least _try_ to tie it back to the original topic? blink.gif

+Quote Post
AceoStar
post Jul 18 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #19

Oh san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 2
Characters: AceoStar

^^How did he sell you out for Field Marshall if it was before his time? tongue.gif
I've told you a million times, no one sold you short but yourself. smile.gif

--------------------
AceoStar, Imperial Guard of Buya.

Put www.StatAddict.com in your profile to track your stats today!

Learn to keep up

Errr, NF is filtered at work these days, I'll be checking the forums a lot less often.

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Jul 18 2007, 11:32 AM
Post #20

Oh san
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ishy @ Jul 18 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]36882[/snapback]

Speaking of the whole shaman v. merchant ordeal, red marking (and taking good marks away from "undeserving" people) is a primary target of the politics of which I speak. Since when did it become such a reason to grief? I think that red marks are a good addition to roleplay and freedom to use them is being ever taken away. Just play along, I say... If it brings flack to the path in question, what's the big deal? Subpaths are supposed to be the center of roleplay, thus I would expect every walker in every path to just play it off. Besides, most people don't play upon certain marks properly anyway, making them little more than ornamental...

As a side note... While I'm glad everyone is getting their true feelings out about certain people, I have to wonder what exactly all of that has to do with the idea of politics as related to roleplay freedom... It seems to me that for every real opinion, there are two or three rants about how "x person did this, and it made me angry." That's fine and dandy, but the purpose behind this thread wasn't really to grief about specific people. I was kind of hoping to focus on the bigger picture...

If there's reason to grief about specific people, then at least _try_ to tie it back to the original topic? blink.gif

I think the point is how the politics drive certain people way over the top.

-Falaris

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:39 AM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.