> I Was ... I Am, Post who you were when you started and who you are now
Ace
post Feb 22 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 220

This is to show how things have changed since you started Nexus, post two sections, the first who you were when you started, and the second who you are now.

I was a 20 year old college student studying computer science. My girlfriend and I had the flu, and we were looking for something fun to do while home sick from classes, and found Nexus.

I am a 32 year old professional doing programming. My girlfriend is now my wife, and we have a family. Neither of us play Nexus anymore, although I do register every once in a great while to say hi to the dwindling population of people I used to know.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yontau
post Feb 22 2014, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Level 5

Group: Banished
Member No.: 5,343

I was a 21 year old drunkard, kicked out of the marine corps.

Now I'm a 35 year old with a family, a farmette, and I log on when I have to get rid of an elder or archon biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Feb 22 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

Was a 17/18 yr old Grade 12 student.

Am a 35 yr old construction worker that gets a day off once every few months >.< (Seriously, last day off was Christmas day...)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Excaliber
post Feb 23 2014, 02:27 AM
Post #4

Il san
Group Icon

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 196

I was 13 and in the 7th grade, and my friend told me about this wonderful game he found online. This was back when Nexus cost per character, not four per account.

Now I'm 26, married, and teaching full time to students of the same age group, middle school. I really miss those days.

--------------------

Excaliber Yasuraka

+Quote Post
Gerdi
post Feb 23 2014, 05:19 AM
Post #5

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 388

I was a precocious 10 year old not quite ready for the horrible awkward years that occurred during puberty... I saw my brother playing the game and I made unregistered newbies for months and just killed squirrels non stop. The good ol' days.

I now am a 24 year old restaurant manager that always says he's going to write a book but seldom puts pen to paper. I have registered occasionally, maybe once or twice a year, but am no longer an active citizen of the winds.

+Quote Post
Alston
post Feb 23 2014, 09:02 AM
Post #6

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,043
Characters: Alston, Dukati... long since dead...

Started Nexus in beta when I was 17, played for a month. Was introduced by a friend in High School (Deriol aka Xombie).

Returned in 3.0 on my 18th birthday of October '98, right after I got out of High School. Was attracted back to the game with a Nexon News Post about Lazy Sundays.

Left Nexus a few times (mostly due to moving), but my final departure was in 2003, when I was 22, after my divorce.

Fast forward to 2014. Been nearly 5 years into my current marriage (anniv. is on March 7th), with one child, and running a franchise restaurant after a few attempts to run my own business. I'm 33 now.

Despite moving out of town a few times, I'm currently living in my hometown in California.

--------------------
- Alston

Find me on any social media by searching for "FSBAlston" or "AlstonTheWolf."

+Quote Post
Yeas
post Feb 23 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #7

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,209

THEN:

I was a trouble making prankster who just wanted to fit into school. My best friend betrayed us and joined the enemy, and I found a new mentor who helped me fit in and control my hidden power. The town was afraid of me but they slowly began warming to me.

NOW:

I'm the most powerful ninja in my village and am leading the battle against the an enemy long thought dead. I have many friends and the whole village has accepted me. Best of all, my best friend has now joined up with me again.

--------------------
"With great power, comes great blame" - The Order of the Stick

+Quote Post
Ralphey
post Feb 24 2014, 01:22 AM
Post #8

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 12,791
Characters: Ralphey

Uhh, damn. Where to start.

THEN:
I was 8, browsing Newgrounds after my uncle had been showing me stuff from there since I was 6. All those messed up, random flash animations (Hooray for Arfenhouse) led me to a submission made by a guy named TDBlitz, called >:/theintriguingmovietitl. This would be how I discovered Nexus. It had a whole lot of references to the game, parodying things like PK and whatnot (there was this one segment where Grin was walking through vale while various people were standing about (GeorgeLucas: "Watch out! Grin is in a bad mood today! *shift:g*" and LiverEater, who was constantly eating, you guessed it, bear livers until she got zapped to death by Healplz), and he stopped somewhere, facing the viewer as he said "I'm at my wits end. I swear. One more rogue ambush, and it's boom time." A fanfare then played as Kismet ambushed him saying "Hi", and the world map popped up showing a huge explosion coming from Vale.) There was also this long, entertaining dance sequence where another character did all kinds of emotes in the game to "dance" to Mega Man music, and the movie seemed to be promoting "The Hero's Guild of NexusTK" a lot.

Anyway, this made me want to find this strange MMORPG with graphics that somehow reminded me of FF6 at the time. Ended up playing it for a year until my parents decided not to let me play anymore so I could be with friends instead. That was totally fine with me. So I came back the year I was turning 12 and I have played since then.

NOW:
I am a dopey, shaggy-haired 18-year-old, studying film and animation as well as making video games with my best friend. I still play Nexus, and let me tell you; I have learned more about corruption, responsibility, morals, making friends, being patient and how not to make an ass out of yourself on the world wide web, than I ever could have dreamed of had I not rediscovered this game 7 years ago (trust me, I was a dumb kid then and still tend to be one these days). And knowing TK's community, that's hella ironic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alston
post Feb 24 2014, 02:10 AM
Post #9

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,043
Characters: Alston, Dukati... long since dead...

TDBlitz... man I remember that piece of work.

--------------------
- Alston

Find me on any social media by searching for "FSBAlston" or "AlstonTheWolf."

+Quote Post
YanDaMan
post Feb 24 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #10

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 184
Characters: YanDaMan, YanTheMan

I was a 13-14 year old Middle/High school student, back when MMO's were scarce and I thought Nexus was kinda cool.

Now I'm a 27 year old working as a freelance web-developer for a health/medicinal marketing company.

--------------------
lol @ u

+Quote Post
Songa
post Feb 24 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 330
Characters: Songa

I was a 13-14 year old high school student who found out about Nexus through my sister who also played the game. I spent majority of my time writing stories and poems for the game.

I am now newly 30 years old working towards an English degree and spending time writing a novel that I plan to self-publish and creating web comics and indie games with my fiance.

Basically went from expressing myself creatively through a forum that would get me no recognition to taking my creativity in my own hands and working towards my own piece of accomplishment. After all, winning countless writing contests in a game doesn't mean anything in the real world.

insert rainbows here

+Quote Post
SilentNights
post Feb 24 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #12

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 231
Characters: SilentNights

I was (I think) 18 year old punk taking a year off before college to mess around doing the things typical 18 year olds do. I got in plenty of legal trouble along the way, but obviously got through it.

Now, I'm a 31 year old cancer patient who owns a restaurant that sometimes makes me money. Also, I've been engaged for awhile now, and we've talked about weddings and all that, but it hasn't happened yet.

So yeah, there you go.

SN

+Quote Post
Foxfire
post Feb 24 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #13

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,761
Characters: Foxfire

Man, I feel like the old fart when I say I started playing after college (I was 22, just graduated from art school, trying to find a "real" job).

Now I'm 29, married to a Nexus player, stay at home mom. Yay.

--------------------
~* Nwyfre Foxfire k'Treva *~

Freerice - Feed the hungry, expand your vocabulary.

+Quote Post
Falaris
post Feb 24 2014, 09:45 PM
Post #14

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

I was around 13 years old and was playing a game called BattleCity at the time after being introduced to it by a real life friend in school. That same friend, another real life friend, and a few other BC players went to Nexus and I came along too. I spent as much time as I could on computers/video games/the internet.

Now I'm about to turn 30, am engaged to the love of my life and living with her and our dog, and am a self-employed subcontractor with an oil & gas brokerage firm. Aside from near-daily meditation and exercise every morning, and a bad Reddit addiction when I'm bored at my day job, I spend most of my spare time working on premium websites freelance as I am attempting to transition to doing that full time.

I also can't stand to play most video games now that require any type of commitment beyond 5-10 minutes as I feel like I'm wasting my time that could otherwise be spent doing productive things to better my life. I register to Nexus maybe once a year at best now to say hi to some people for a night or two and walk around to feel some nostalgia, then let my account unregister again. And I still post on here from time to time because, eh, why not?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darken
post Feb 25 2014, 03:02 PM
Post #15

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,584

I was a 13-14 year old schmuck when I made Darken.
I'm now a 27 year old schmuck in Medical School with long time GF yadda yadda yadda.
Upgrade?

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Feb 25 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #16

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Darken @ Feb 25 2014, 01:02 PM) *
Upgrade?

Beware!! Upgrade at ones own risk!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
BeffyCabeza
post Feb 28 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #17

NA Database Editor
Group Icon

Group: Nexus Atlas Development
Member No.: 322
Characters: BeffyCabeza/SkoGul

I was an 18 yr old graduate from HS, goofing off the for the summer. And gave nexus a try after a friend spent 4 yrs trying to convince me to play. And had a boyfriend..

I am now, a nearly 29 year old, stay at home mom. And that boyfriend? Yeup, he's my husband of nearly 8 yrs now. smile.gif But my most important job, is mom, to an awesome 6 yr old.

And SS I couldn't help but lol about the upgrade comment. tongue.gif

--------------------
Take a number, I'm sure I've annoyed someone today.

+Quote Post
Doctor
post Mar 1 2014, 04:30 AM
Post #18

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 127

I was a 9 year old with too much time on his hands.

Now I am a 12 year old with too much time on my hands.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarTanis
post Mar 4 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #19

Level 99

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 284
Characters: DarTanis

I was an 11 year old twit who couldn't spell there, their, and they're. I used u's r's and y's to shorten words.. I was first introduced to the game by a good friend of mine and only made Band Name characters, something like Slipknot - Female - with the pre 3.0 Floor Sweeper hair...

Now I am turning 23 and I'm married to a military man, we've got a dog and a cat at home. I draw all the time, and spend my days making profile pictures for NTK wondering why Baram ever decided to shut down cnex.us Because that would make my life so much easier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Styledatol
post Mar 4 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #20

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,617
Characters: Dokart

I was 16-18 years old, skipping school to play videos games. Don't even remember how I found Nexus, but I do remember being blown away by it, as it was my first MMO experience.

Now I'm 25, working in an electronics company, building hardware for military satellites. Don't really play nexus anymore, register from time to time for a month but get discouraged and leave because I cant get myself to hunt past enchanted.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:27 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.