> Looking For Students, That have issues connecting to Nexus from School
Brant
post Sep 13 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Sa san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 921

I've gotten a barrage of whispers from people having an issue connecting to Nexus from College/University. I had this same issue a few years back, and I've posted a guide for using a Proxy to fix the problem. Because it's rather difficult and may not be available to everyone, I've looked for alternative solutions to this issue.

I still think that using a Proxy to another computer/connection that you own is still a safe route, however, I found a very easy alternative to fixing this issue.

AnchorFree, along with DD-WRT, have a service called DD-WRT Privacy.

Here is a link to the site:

http://dd-wrt.com/site/dd-wrt_privacy

It's a very small, simple install, and I've found it to be successful in my trials using the program. However, I need some test subjects to work with an verify that this is a solution for everyone who has this issue. Because of the technology that this software uses, it may not be comparable with certain college/university connections, and I'd like to verify this.

So, if you have issues with connecting at school, please whisper/pm me and I'll help you set it up.

Thanks,

-Brant
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
post Sep 24 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #2

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 574
Characters: Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehovah... And Satan.

Just want to verify: the program you're referring to is Hotspot Shield, right?

--------------------
I'm too legit. Ask your nieces and your nephews, I'm the shhh... Be quiet! Cursing's not allowed.

+Quote Post
MainAttraction
post Sep 24 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 13,050

the title for this is like every craigs lists post ever... the only difference is the inside isn't like "WANT TO MAKE SOME MONEY, COME DO SOME THINGS ON CAMERA WITH ME AND MY BASKETBALL TEAM!"

--------------------
"you know nexus? ya, I used to kiss a lot of deer butts in that game."
CONRO WATCH: DAY 2 --"I heard he's already playing on a noob in Tangun"

+Quote Post
Inuko
post Sep 28 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Level 5

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 13,329
Characters: Inuko

Just got done testing this at my college. No problems at all. Thanks for sharing!

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 14 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #5

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 574
Characters: Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehovah... And Satan.

Alright, I recently started logging into Nexus since my sister bought a 1-month registration code for me (haha, what an idiot; I'll never pay for this game again rolleyes.gif) and when I re-installed the game and tried to play, I couldn't connect to the game. In fact, the EXACT same thing that happened to Sodjiro happened to me: I would open Nexus, the "News" (lulz) pop-up would appear, I'd click "Play Nexus", the game executes, and a black screen with a pop-up saying "Entering the Nexus... It may take a couple of minutes" appears. At this point, it would freeze for about 20 seconds, until finally another pop-up saying "You are unable to enter the Nexus right now. Try again soon," with click-able 'Reconnect' and 'Leave' boxes.

At first, I thought this was due to my REAAAAALLLLLLLY crappy internet. You see, I'm in rural North Africa right now (the Mediterranean coast of Libya) and the only way to connect to the net here is by using my cell phone's GPRS modem and tethering that to my laptop. This gives me very very very slow internet speeds. So when I couldn't connect to the game, I thought that was the reason why.

When Brant posted the link to the Hotspot Shield in this thread, I didn't try it at first. I had an earlier version of Hotspot Shield but didn't bother with trying that either -- I was certain my slow internet was the issue. However, when someone posted on this thread again, I thought to myself, "I might as well download the program in case I ever need it" and upon downloading it (with my extremely slow internet, IDM for the win tongue.gif), curiosity got the best of me and I decided to install it and try it out. Lo and behold, after I connected to Hotspot Shield, I could easily connect to Nexus.

The thing is, now my 1500ms ping, 20kb/s download, and 10kb/s upload connection (rofl, so bad) now needs to proxy to another server (or whatever HSS does), which leaves me with a ping of 2973ms and <20kb/s DL, <10kb/s UL speeds when playing Nexus. That's putting salt in the wound for me; because I want to get as fast a connection as possible while I'm here and while I'm registered and/or playing Nexus. Basically, I want to find out why I can't connect to Nexus without HSS, so I can fix the problem and connect directly. As I've said, I'm using a tethered phone modem (meaning no router, so no possible router-caused issues), and I've already opened up the appropriate Nexus ports on my Comodo software-firewall. The only thing I can think of is that it's an ISP issue. The Libyan Telecom & Technology ISP really blows, so that's a very plausible cause. That being said, I'd like to know exactly what HSS does to change my connection so I can go to the ISP and be specific in my instructions to get this problem permanently fixed.

(Note: This post appears in both related threads, click here to go to the other thread.)

--------------------
I'm too legit. Ask your nieces and your nephews, I'm the shhh... Be quiet! Cursing's not allowed.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:39 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.