IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Revels Entries, Should they bring the limitations?
Poetry Revels
Should the gods bring back the rules where you could not enter revels once you have 1st/2nd/2xHMs?
Yes [ 9 ] ** [25.00%]
No [ 21 ] ** [58.33%]
People should just be fair and not enter again. [ 4 ] ** [11.11%]
I don't care [ 2 ] ** [5.56%]
Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
HaKSaW
post Jul 20 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #1

Ee san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 7,927
Characters: HaKSaW

I know that it's been argued in the past and that there are alternate routes for getting Ee san, however I personally feel it's not fair to other players for people who keep entering revels once they have enough to complete Culture for Ee san. I know it's a competition of poetic ability and that many people like to enter just for the enjoyment, but again, it's my opinion and feeling on this. (Personally I got my 2 Honorable Mentions and will not be entering again at least on HaKSaW, to stand aside for others to have the chance).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doctor
post Jul 20 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 127

I can count on my hands the number of people over the years that have entered after they have already won for culture and won again, I don't think it's that big of a problem. Makes people have to step their game up. Kind of like saying people who already have master in a craft should stop buying craftables.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PIEMINISTER
post Jul 20 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #3

Sa san
Group Icon

Group: Banished
Member No.: 531

Step up your game son, or buy some poems. But honestly... if you can't place at a revels after a month or two... you might want to go back to night shcool and get your GED. I mean you can win second place in a story contest, by ignoring all contest rules, and talk about how a revolver was at your temple... lol

<b>Where Butterflies Go

<b>The butterfly fluttered and danced in the autumn wind, <b>teasing me with its vibrant wings as I spied on it from <b>behind my window panes. Just when I thought it was gone, it <b>lingered once more and then once more before the wind swept <b>it away in one decisive gush. The sun was bright and kind, <b>and outside, the world passed by the way it should. But I <b>stood still, stumbled and trapped on the memory of her.

I could say that I fell for her at first sight, but I won't; it'd sound too ridiculous. I am a man twice her age, with more grey hair than I'd like to admit. She was barely out of her teenage years, having the time of her life at the club. Her bleached blond hair, arranged meticulously into teasing curls, framed her soft oval face. Her features were highlighted with thick make up, hiding her youth behind a mask of seduction. As she danced, her vivid dress twirled and floated around her creating an intoxicating blur of colors. "She looks like a butterfly", I thought almost wisthully as I watched her from afar. Before the night was over, she approached me, peeped up from under her fake eyelashes and introduced herself to me almost so shyly. "Michelle", she reached out her hand. I took it, and didn't let go for some time.

But tonight, she wasn't that beautiful girl I knew. In fact, she hadn't been that girl for a long time, I realized. Tonight I came home to find her sprawled on my kitchen floor in one of her drunken stupors. Her favorite vibrant printed dress, the one that captured my eyes on our first encounter, hitched up to her waist in a picture of vulgarity. Mascara stained her pale skin, lipstick smeared to her cheek. Her breath reeked of Tequila as she quivered "Where had you been?"

"Go home Michelle, I told you, we are through" I said in annoyance. Call Tom to change the lock, I made a mental note.

She shook her head as if shutting my voice out and started wailing, shrill and full with sheer despair. I looked away in disgust, repelled at her reduced sight, sickened by life's cruel joke. How love can go so quickly, I contemplated as I spun on my heel and left her in the kitchen.
Sitting on the couch in my dark living room, hardly enjoying the glass of scotch I held carelessly in my hand, I could her cries bubbled down to sobs, and then to nothing. The house was dead quiet and the silence grew louder by the second. An unexpected pang of guilt prompted me to get up and check on her, which I almost did when I heard her drag herself up. Before long, she appeared on the doorway. I can see her silhouette against the bright light of the kitchen but couldn't make up her expression.
"You never loved me" she asked feebly. Her accusation gave me a sudden rush of anger.
"Never", I spat, in spite, to the darkness. I had expected her to retort with malice, as she normally did, but she didn't say anything for the longest time.
"Well? "She said thoughtfully as she took a step into the light. "I have always loved you"

That's when I got a clear view of her, holding revolver against her temple. There was a soft click before the deafening thunder that followed. I flung myself across the room but didn't manage to catch her on time. Her body fell with a loud thud against the wooden floor. Blood gushed down her temple, forming an irregularly shaped pool, permeating her dress, adding yet another hue to her gown that spread around her like a pair of multicolored wings. I stood there transfixed at the gruesomely beautiful sight, soaking my brain with the last memory of her.

<b>And that was how she left me after our quick dance of <b>romance, in one tragic flight into the night. My butterfly <b>took her life and my soul with her.
<b>Where am I to find her again?
<b>Where the wind blows, maybe.

Danlim

judges don't even read this crap, lol.

+Quote Post
HaKSaW
post Jul 20 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #4

Ee san
Group Icon

I already have my HMs on my poet (who is of course Ee) and my mage I gave up after about 35-40 entries and just carped the wood. The thing is, it's not about how good your poem is, it's about how it stands out from the rest and stays in the memory of the judge.

I understand the viewpoint of the craftables point, makes sense on that.

Just to give some more background, I am not a revels entrant but I was looking over the poetry board and I see a lot of repeat winners and most being not even 99. Then to really add insult to the entire revels is that the ones that win are normally sucky. Hell I'll admit, my poems suck, I did manage to get 2 HMs over the years, but they still do suck.

I know Story Contest is easier to win, however the thing is with that, they are held far too rarely. It's too unpredictable.

Again, I'm not complaining for myself, because... hell I already have Ee san x2 and don't need any more than that. I just think it a bit unfair on others to keep entering.

-HaK
- Retired from Revels.

--------------------

+Quote Post
theSavior
post Jul 20 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #5

Enchanted

Group: Retired Staff
Member No.: 317

I think the revels system is horribly run. Honestly, Sepri's poems are really bland and... not good. But, he is our second week in a row 1st place winner. *shrugs* I don't like the idea of people being placed in the room to read the entries and just scanning down the side for rhyming words. AABB, AABB, AABB. OH MAN HE USED AAAA in one, must be a winner! They could just implement bots if that's how they want it (and it seems they mostly do.)

But to get to the point of the poll, I think that it's fine for people to enter as much as they like, I think it's a bit crappy, and I wouldn't enter more than a week or two in a row, give at least a month in between to allow for some others, but there are some people who sincerely love to write. I, personally, have not entered in a while, but I have written some for my own amusement. I like having a theme to write off every once and a while.

My vote was for no, but I do think that people shouldn't hog the revels either.

~theSavior

--------------------
How is it that the less someone plays Nexus... the more compelled they are to post their thoughts on the Forums? :3

+Quote Post
Sebelle
post Jul 20 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #6

Sam san
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 30

If people like writing poems and stories, they should be able to freely enter. If they need it for Ee san and receive it, good for them. If you're not capable of winning at the revels, continue on and craft.

If people would be kind, they would take it upon themselves to step out for the week - but there shouldn't be anything stopping them from entering again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KurruptSage
post Jul 20 2008, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Enchanted

Group: Citizens
Member No.: 863

honestly don't care either way. i wouldn't spend more than 1-2hrs writing a poem for a revels entry. any more than that and you are probably wasting your time. it is not as if you are submitting something for the literary panel of the nobel prize. its more like you go fishing; sometimes fish bite, sometimes they don't. and sometimes fish cheat.
i wish they would ban people who PARAPHRASE an original poem; just rephrased. i remember a 1st place poem that essentially summarized shel silverstein's "the giving tree". ridiculous. /rant

--------------------
"How can you argue with the lunatic who is more powerful than you, who listens politely to your well-reasoned arguments and then simply persists in his lunacy?" - 1984
IPB Image

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Jul 21 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #8

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Retired Administrator
Member No.: 3

I think people should be allowed to do whatever makes their gaming fun. If that includes writing poems, even if they have no talent, it should be allowed. I remember when there were only 1st, 2nd and 3rd place wins. Then it was changed to allow honorable mentions and the rules changed to say 2 HM would count for culture. As posted above, if you can't win after a few weeks then you just don't get what the judges apparently like. Revels has nothing to do with quality poems and everything to do with what the random judges like. As long as the regular players (judges) don't have an appreciation of good poetry then the quality of the entries will not improve.

I'm not thrilled about having to get culture this way but my rogue will need to do it. Since she is a gem cutter and you can no longer enter a manufacturing skill other than jeweler without losing your gem cutting ability and since jeweling is so horribly expensive...she will need to get culture by poems or stories. That can be a grind but definitely faster and certainly cheaper than getting to be a master jeweler! Fortunately it's an obtainable goal if I keep in mind what player selected judges like to see.

I've won 3 HM and one 2nd place on various of my alts. It wasn't particularly hard.

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Jul 21 2008, 03:28 AM
Post #9

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

They could always make it so you can master Woodcutting no matter what you specialize in.

Woodcutting is pretty dang useless for anything -but- grinding Ee san culture. The market is already flooded with polearms. There's no way to make money off woodcutting, if you bought wood you'll always have that gigantic loss of cash you spent getting to master in the first place.

The Specializing limit could be changed so you only need to be specialized to go to grand master. You would no longer have the "gonna take me forever to get master jewelry" problem with culture and they could finally get rid of this Revels cheating method to get Culture.

I dont see why it is a problem for people to get multiple Revel / story contest wins. The original idea was to make it more fair for people to get Ee san by doing it that way because the people who win often are excluded from the pool of entries, but you shouldnt be able to get Ee san by winning a contest with so much possibility to cheat in the first place.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Jul 21 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #10

Map Goddess
Group Icon

You can become master+ for any gathering skill....farming, woodcutting, mining. For Ee culture you have to be master+ at a refining skill.....tailor, smith, carpenter, jeweler. If you are already a gem cutter and try to specialize in a refining skill that isn't jeweler, you lose your gem cutting skills! I think that's a bug but I've turned in tickets till I finally gave up. If you started gem cutting way back in the beginning or very recently you don't have this problem. If you started in the middle somewhere you're stuck with doing jewelery as your only possible manufacturing skill. Since jeweling is so horribly expensive you had better make 10s of millions in cash just to get to master or be lucky enough to win Revels or Story contests.

Mug make bug go away....also making jeweling not so expensive.

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
HaKSaW
post Jul 21 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #11

Ee san
Group Icon

It has never been said that Jeweler can be used for Ee culture.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vortextk
post Jul 22 2008, 12:14 AM
Post #12

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,757
Characters: Frog

Hmmm. I'm on the fence. People like entering poems, yes I see that. It was even fun for me while I was working on ee-san. To them I say, why don't you hold your own contests? Why not just post it on the boards?

Some people enter just for ee. If no one else entered, it might make it TOO easy and pointless. Shouldn't you have a bit of a challenge? Make yourself try just a bit?

None are questions I want answered from anyone else, it's what I think to myself when this gets brought up. Both sides can have legit arguments here so clearly, there is no winner.

Maybe if you have the required wins for ee-san, you could only enter once every 2, 3 or 4 weeks? Not to say this is at all fair or correct, but simply an idea.

I wrote this over a year ago in response to some posts. A little long, and I apologize, but I think it's a logical way of going through the revels process. It worked for me for 2 honorable mentions(out of about 13 poems, of course =P).

*Simple rhyming scheme. Unless you really know your poetry, keep it simple. Most of the judges will probably be regular people, they won't get advanced poetry.(Not that it's that "advanced", but the fact remains it will be above peoples' heads).

*Follow the THEME! Don't stray off topic! And in the same vain, don't be boring with it; just don't go too far with it.

*Diction. I.E., word choice. Use a thesaurus. Use a "rhyming words" site. Use a dictionary. Do not overly repeat words(unless there is a point).

*Be Nexusy! You don't have to always include "nexus" in your poems, but make your poem something that could happen in the world that nexus is placed in.

*You know what works well? Love and comedy. I've seen funny poems win often, and both of my wins have had a touch of romance to them.(I don't write funny too well.) Have a point to reading your poem, say something in it. If it's just rhyming words that while in essence make sense but have no real beginning or conclusion, goodluck.

*Stick to what you know. Something I don't do very well at all, is more abstract type poetry. Dreamy type imagery and metaphors. I'm all about advanced writing, but I do more "story" type poems than abstract. Find what you like, stick to it.

*Read other people's poems and for the love of god, proofread your own! Compare your poems to winners' of the past. Maybe find someone that writes similar to you and see how they won. Obviously never copy anything they've written, but take note of just how their poem was constructed.

*Last, and let's not forget, if you truly can not do poems, hate them, or are incapable of ever getting a win, you have a second option. Culture has already been changed to include master of certain skills(it wasn't always such), and the revels have been given more places to account for the increased people needing them.

Not that anyone here has asked for poems help but I get sick of some people complaining so much like this is such an esoteric process, I just felt like sharing.(Everyone, group hug!)

--------------------
IPB Image
Pandemonium Frog My Progress
Warriors; so easy a caveman could do it.

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Jul 22 2008, 05:20 AM
Post #13

Map Goddess
Group Icon

QUOTE(HaKSaW @ Jul 21 2008, 07:53 PM) [snapback]52863[/snapback]

It has never been said that Jeweler can be used for Ee culture.

If that's so, then you shouldn't be prevented from becoming a smith, tailor or carpenter. Further proof of a bug?

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Jul 22 2008, 05:24 AM
Post #14

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Love and humor he said......here's my 2nd place entry which has both! I've since won honorable mentions with humor like this.

http://boards.nexustk.com/InquiringMinds/L...an08200113.html

The Curse of Love

The Royals of Kugnae bear a terrible curse
For the women they love could not be worse.
First Prince Sagu came under the spell
of Mupa, may she rot in hell!
Then King Yuri broadcast far and wide
that Malady was to be his bride
and opened his gardens, bade us use the flowers
to make bouquets to adorn our bowers.
His joy in finding his first true love
made him look not down, only above
missing the evil in Malady's scheme
to bring brother Blight into the theme.
For Blight would rule and we would toil
she said in scorn, and watched us boil.
Eventually we realized the horrible truth
beguiled was the King by a potion, forsooth!
Loyal to the king, as ever, were we
gave him an antidote to set him free.
But he has paid a dreadful cost
of love so deeply felt and lost
Malady has left him deep in pain
for Yuri is alone once again.
By: Tyshar

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
HaKSaW
post Jul 22 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #15

Ee san
Group Icon

QUOTE(AllyGator @ Jul 22 2008, 05:20 AM) [snapback]52877[/snapback]

If that's so, then you shouldn't be prevented from becoming a smith, tailor or carpenter. Further proof of a bug?

It's not really a bug because the trials were made LONG before Jeweler was ever created. When it was released it was advised to pick wisely as it was known at the time that Ee culture was not obtainable with that craft. I cannot find the post or the exact words that were used, I will keep looking. I know I did ticket for it to find out and there was a response telling me to ask the GM at the time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
darkmaverick
post Jul 22 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #16

Oh san
Group Icon

Member No.: 90
Characters: DarkMaverick

QUOTE(HaKSaW @ Jul 22 2008, 12:31 PM) [snapback]52900[/snapback]

It's not really a bug because the trials were made LONG before Jeweler was ever created. When it was released it was advised to pick wisely as it was known at the time that Ee culture was not obtainable with that craft. I cannot find the post or the exact words that were used, I will keep looking. I know I did ticket for it to find out and there was a response telling me to ask the GM at the time.

It'd take about a minute to add Jeweler to Ee san culture.

--------------------
I host The RPG Fanatic Youtube Show. Home of fanatical reviews and commentary about RPGs.
And my top picks for Sa san warrior shield were......

...I totally want that sword too.

+Quote Post
HaKSaW
post Jul 22 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #17

Ee san
Group Icon

I agree DM, but the thing is, most things that should only take a minute are always put on the back burner or forgotten about... either that or KRU are just like... it's not a problem cos we said it isn't.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Jul 22 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #18

Map Goddess
Group Icon

QUOTE(HaKSaW @ Jul 22 2008, 11:31 AM) [snapback]52900[/snapback]

I haven't heard that before. I have asked mug and he said he can't expose game secrets or something like that. sad.gif

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
Aens
post Jul 23 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #19

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,502

The story Danlim wrote and won first place with that caused all the controversy was trully worthy of first place regardless of the ooc stuff.

--------------------
-Nexus Atlas Reporter
-KSG

+Quote Post
Musoyan
post Jul 23 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #20

Exasperating
Group Icon

Member No.: 543
Characters: Musoyen

QUOTE(Aens @ Jul 23 2008, 01:56 AM) [snapback]53055[/snapback]
The story Danlim wrote and won first place with that caused all the controversy was trully worthy of first place regardless of the ooc stuff.

Many stories would be worthy of first place, if people knew they were allowed to talk about drugs, alcohol, teen night life, going clubbing etc. Danlims story was completely OOC and has some rather risque things written and shouldn't of been accepted.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:21 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.