post Jun 5 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #21

Oh san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 46
Characters: Falaris, everclear

QUOTE (stabme @ Jun 4 2010, 08:21 PM) *
dude, wth falaris what are you talking about. not a single person in this thread knows wth they're talking about re: html, php, templating, mysql, loops, tyvm.

pls, ffs, give me your code/project and i'll whip it to you in a much more optimized, faster, and easier way to you by this weekend. this is ridic.

how many mysql tables in nexus atlas, or rather the hunting, maps and experience tables? what do you say if i say i can auto generate all your content for you without having to make a new php page again.

Everyone else is doing things like a programmer would, having PHP generate everything, trying to optimize the code (because this site is clearly bringing down 500k visitors monthly and has to be optimized, right???) or doing things that are obviously beyond AllyGator's level. Moreover, if anything goes wrong in the future, she wouldn't know how to fix it, so then she'll be right back to this same situation.

I was trying to show how to keep it simple, eliminate the need for loops completely, and use html templates with PHP includes instead of generating everything via PHP. It is a bit more work, it is a "dumbed down" way of doing it, but everything is very obvious and the PHP is kept to a minimum. This way, anyone who knows basic HTML can probably fix the page.

I'm not saying your way or all the other programmers' ways are wrong, in fact from a programmer's and programming perspective they are the "correct" way to do things. That way just doesn't make much sense to do when you are then giving it to the operator of the site to use when they have no idea what you are doing.

For calling basic information from a database to fill in the page on a fansite, there is absolutely no good reason to make this complicated, even for the sake of optimization.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stabme
post Jun 5 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #22

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 66

i write only oop php, with abstracted classes inheriting smarty and db classes for my model and view components; and i have a simple long-ass-fu switch-case acting as my controller. the html is completely abstracted and separated from the php, as are the sql queries. if anything ever needs to be changed, fix the model function. or change a simple html line in the templates. blamo

--------------------
IMEDIAT: I am the Lixir! I speak for the Wars!
I no longer Elixir or draw Imediat. I now help make music free for all: Grooveshark

+Quote Post
stabme
post Jun 6 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #23

Sam san
Group Icon

Ally I am still open to doing this. Send me a PM

--------------------
I no longer Elixir or draw Imediat. I now help make music free for all: Grooveshark

+Quote Post
SilentS
post Jun 6 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #24

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

I think you already scared her away tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
stabme
post Jun 6 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #25

Sam san
Group Icon

You might be right. But I want to do it anyway

--------------------

+Quote Post
Interstate
post Jun 7 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #26

Sam san
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,663

This all started when a certain someone had a peek at a script I wrote years ago. You're welcome lol <3 =)

--------------------
Vicious Circle
Hater of haters
Anti-elitist elitist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwL65cvzK0s...feature=related

+Quote Post
stabme
post Jun 7 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #27

Sam san
Group Icon

QUOTE (Interstate @ Jun 7 2010, 05:06 PM) *
This all started when a certain someone had a peek at a script I wrote years ago. You're welcome lol <3 =)

eh? a script for what

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:34 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.