IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Connecting Behind A Schools Firewall, Merged with: Nexus Blocked From School but All Other Games Ok?
Bobert
post Oct 9 2008, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Il san
Group Icon

Group: Nobles
Member No.: 91
Characters: Bobert, Vlakir

Hey, im at school right now, and want to connect to nexus from behind my school's firewall. any tips to get this to work?

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HaKSaW
post Oct 9 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,927
Characters: HaKSaW

You need to get the correct ports opened. If you do not have access to the firewall rules and router, it's not going to work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
post Oct 9 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 574
Characters: Jesus Christ, Allah, Jehovah... And Satan.

Do you have Nexus installed and it just won't work, or is the problem actually that it won't allow you to install?

--------------------
I'm too legit. Ask your nieces and your nephews, I'm the shhh... Be quiet! Cursing's not allowed.

+Quote Post
Brant
post Oct 9 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #4

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 921

QUOTE(Bobert @ Oct 9 2008, 10:12 AM) [snapback]64678[/snapback]

Hey, im at school right now, and want to connect to nexus from behind my school's firewall. any tips to get this to work?

I've found that the simplest way is to Proxy your connection.

Assuming you're in Highschool, the easiest way would be to setup a CCProxy at your computer at home. Then, get a portable (Flash Drive version) of Proxifier. From there, you can proxy your connection to your home computer and connect to nexus from home IP.

-Brant

+Quote Post
LEET
post Oct 9 2008, 11:42 AM
Post #5

Ee san
Group Icon

Member No.: 170

Brant does the same thing as me with the same exact programs... How funny.

+Quote Post
FireTiger
post Oct 9 2008, 09:02 PM
Post #6

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 22

do yourself a favor make friends at school instead.. you'll thank me another day.

--------------------
"Anyone whose goal is 'something higher' must expect someday to suffer vertigo. What is vertigo? Fear of falling? No, Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves."
— Milan Kundera (The Unbearable Lightness of Being)

+Quote Post
Bobert
post Oct 9 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 91
Characters: Bobert, Vlakir

QUOTE(KaN @ Oct 9 2008, 11:32 AM) [snapback]64684[/snapback]

Do you have Nexus installed and it just won't work, or is the problem actually that it won't allow you to install?

its installed, it wont connect

QUOTE(Brant @ Oct 9 2008, 12:03 PM) [snapback]64692[/snapback]

I've found that the simplest way is to Proxy your connection.

Assuming you're in Highschool, the easiest way would be to setup a CCProxy at your computer at home. Then, get a portable (Flash Drive version) of Proxifier. From there, you can proxy your connection to your home computer and connect to nexus from home IP.

-Brant

the college im at has it blocked and i have long breaks inbetween classes. I'll try that out, is it laggy though?

QUOTE(FireTiger @ Oct 9 2008, 10:02 PM) [snapback]64834[/snapback]

do yourself a favor make friends at school instead.. you'll thank me another day.

thanks for the tip =p

--------------------

+Quote Post
Milli
post Oct 9 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #8

Il san
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,786
Characters: Milli, MilliPoet, Meril, MilliX

Im going to try this proxy thing for my college dorm room...Would be awesome if it works O.O

Could you give a quick tutorial on how to set up ccproxy and how to use proxifier? I've got the programs installed on both computers now, and I'm at my home computer.

--------------------
Beautiful avatar done by Bellamuse! Thank you! ^^

My characters as of Mar. 30, 2008 are:

Samaruhi MilliPoet: 300/400
Swift Milli: 215/170
Force Meril: 70/80
HwarangDo MilliX

+Quote Post
Brant
post Oct 10 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #9

Sa san
Group Icon

QUOTE(Milli @ Oct 9 2008, 09:13 PM) [snapback]64838[/snapback]

Im going to try this proxy thing for my college dorm room...Would be awesome if it works O.O

Could you give a quick tutorial on how to set up ccproxy and how to use proxifier? I've got the programs installed on both computers now, and I'm at my home computer.

I haven't had to use either of these programs in a while, but I'll download them and make a walk through of how to set it up.

Give me a little bit.

-Brant

+Quote Post
Milli
post Oct 10 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #10

Il san
Group Icon

Thanks. I tried setting it up myself, but I couldn't connect from my dorm computer. I didn't have the port right I think tongue.gif

--------------------

HwarangDo MilliX

+Quote Post
PikuDamaru
post Oct 10 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #11

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 9
Characters: PikuDamaru

QUOTE(Bobert @ Oct 9 2008, 10:11 PM) [snapback]64837[/snapback]

the college im at has it blocked and i have long breaks inbetween classes. I'll try that out, is it laggy though?

Probably need to find the connection with the fastest upload. If you can proxy through a cable modem, you will probably get good enough upload. I know that DSL lacks big time in the upload department.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Brant
post Oct 10 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #12

Sa san
Group Icon

QUOTE(PikuDamaru @ Oct 10 2008, 05:03 PM) [snapback]64933[/snapback]

Probably need to find the connection with the fastest upload. If you can proxy through a cable modem, you will probably get good enough upload. I know that DSL lacks big time in the upload department.

I was proxying from a OC3 connection to a 6/1, then to KRU.

It was laggy enough to effect you in PK, but for hunting and general use, it was fine.

-Brant

+Quote Post
Brant
post Oct 10 2008, 09:22 PM
Post #13

Sa san
Group Icon

Here is the first part of the Tutorial. This explains how to configure CCProxy and your router. My next post will cover how to set up Proxifier.

IPB Image

=========================

IPB Image

-Brant

+Quote Post
Brant
post Oct 10 2008, 10:42 PM
Post #14

Sa san
Group Icon

This is the tutorial for configuring Proxifier.

NOTE: Proxifier is not a free-ware program. There is a 31-day Trial version you can use, and when that expires, you must purchase it, or find another way to make it work. (No I'm not going to link/tell you how to do it illegally.)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in game, but please understand that everyone is on a different connection and may run in to various issues. I will try my best to assist you, but please don't bother me if I cannot fix your problem.

IPB Image

-Brant

+Quote Post
Brant
post Oct 10 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #15

Sa san
Group Icon

Here are a few notes to help you better understand if this method will work for you:

- You must have two computers
- CCProxy goes on the machine you want to proxy through to get on to to Nexus, or in most people's cases, the machine at home (assuming Nexus is blocked at school)

- CCProxy goes on the Home machine, and Proxifier goes on the Machine that you will be playing Nexus on.

- CCProxy is free to use, up to 3 users may be connected simultaneously.
Note: If you are a bright kid, you'll realize, oh dang, I can character share with people if I let them connect to my proxy server. KRU will never know I'm character sharing. WRONG KRU can tell that your sharing by more than just your IP address, so don't try it.

- Lag while using a proxy: I didn't experience much lag when I used a proxy for Nexus, although it really depends on the connections you're on, and how far or close you are to your proxy server, and how close your proxy server is to KRU servers. I was connecting from Austin -to- Houston -to KRU servers, so my latency wasn't that bad. Note: The lag does make PK a little bit harder because you do experience more lag.

- All-in-all, this method of connecting to Nexus is great. It works well, and it's really not that hard to do.

REMEMBER: If you want to proxy your connection, the computer that has CCProxy on it MUST BE TURNED ON to connect to it. Most servers run 24/7, so assuming you want to be able to play Nexus 24/7, you need to have that computer turned on!

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post, and I will try my best to assist you.

-Brant

+Quote Post
AllyGator
post Oct 11 2008, 03:44 AM
Post #16

Map Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Retired Administrator
Member No.: 3

if you follow those instructions better set your router to static ip addresses

--------------------
The hair says it all!

+Quote Post
Brant
post Oct 11 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #17

Sa san
Group Icon

QUOTE(AllyGator @ Oct 11 2008, 03:44 AM) [snapback]64992[/snapback]

if you follow those instructions better set your router to static ip addresses

You would only need to do that if the computers that are on the Router are turned on and off frequently.

What Ally is saying is -- when you open the port for the proxy to run SOCKS5 on, Linksys and their infinite wisdom (sarcasm) only allows you to open the port for ONE IP address. So there is a chance your LAN IP could change, and there for not open the Proxy port for that computer.

I used this method of proxy for over a year, and that only happened to me once. Assuming you have someone semi-intelligent at home to help you out, it shouldn't be that hard to change if it happens.

To avoid this issue, there are two ways to do it. You can set your IP address locally to obtain a specific address every time Control Panel -> Network Connections -> (Right Click) Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) -> Use the following address -> (Type in correct information, assuming you know how).

The issue with doing it this way is, if you move the computer to a different connection, it will request the IP address from the old Router/Connection, and there's a chance you won't be able to connect until you change it back to Automatic.

Or, some routers have an option to issue the same IPs out to your computers.

-Brant

+Quote Post
Milli
post Oct 12 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #18

Il san
Group Icon

Hurray, this got me past the black screen. Now the connecting to nexus box tells me that I can't connect.

EDIT:
The problem is that proxifier is unable to connect to my proxy server at home. So while using it, it's as if I have no internet connection at all.

--------------------

HwarangDo MilliX

+Quote Post
Brant
post Oct 12 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #19

Sa san
Group Icon

QUOTE(Milli @ Oct 12 2008, 07:02 PM) [snapback]65218[/snapback]

Hurray, this got me past the black screen. Now the connecting to nexus box tells me that I can't connect.

EDIT:
The problem is that proxifier is unable to connect to my proxy server at home. So while using it, it's as if I have no internet connection at all.

If Proxifier isn't establishing a connection to your proxy server, there could be a few problems.

1: You do not have the correct Port forwarded on your Router to allow CCProxy to work.
2: You do not have the correct IP address and port entered in Proxifier.
3: You do not have a user account set up correctly on CCProxy
4: You do not have your user information entered correctly in Proxifier.

Make sure you do the Proxy connection test first. If that doesn't succeed, then it won't work.

-Brant

+Quote Post
PikuDamaru
post Oct 12 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #20

Sa san
Group Icon

Member No.: 9
Characters: PikuDamaru

Seems somewhere that the path from point A to point B is missing a hop. Brant has some good suggestions for troubleshooting, but also don't forget firewalls and any other program that might be blocking specific ports.

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:52 PM
Nexus Forums is part of: Nexus Atlas © all rights reserved.